cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soccer coverage

fence59
I've Been Around

Only one Barclays Premier League game today (Aston Villa vs Chelsea) and Rogers isn't showing it. 5 HD sports channels of cycling. Nonsense on The Score. Premium Sportsnet World channel showing SPL for goodness sake. Since buying Satanta and The Score Rogers has reduced the quality and quantity of top level soccer coverage. You pay for HD cable then you pay an extra $18 a month for SNW and they can't show the ONLY BPL game of the day?! It's pathetic.

***Edited labels***

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Soccer coverage

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not sure I follow?  you dont subscribe to sport TEAMS wit rogers, you subscribe to a sports channel or a group of channels,   if your game is not aired on that specific channel, then the problem is you need to order the channel its aired on.  if im correct, the newspaper tells you which stations are airing specific matches,  look at the paper, and if you have that channel, then watch it, if you dont, see if you can order that channel, if the game is not telivized at all in this country, then theres nothing you can do, complaining to rogers wont fix it since theyre a BDU they dont choose what channels play what games.

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

Could it be Rogeras did not own the rights for that game?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers is the Cable company, they wouldnt be the one holding the rights, its the network such as sportsnet, the score, tsn, rds, setanta, etc, these companies are the ones who hold the rights for the games.

Headfake
I Plan to Stick Around
No, Rogers doesn't choose what broadcasters put on the channels but Rogers does choose the broadcasters, no? If so then they ARE responsible, in part, for the pathetic soccer coverage for their subscribers. Currently, none of the channels Rogers carries has good top level (Serie A, Permier, etc) soccer coverage. When you check online there's plenty of broadcasters carrying the games but none of the broadcasters are with Rogers. Why? I'm often having to stream these top level games, sometimes championship games, at a low quality when I'd rather watch them with my tv in hd.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

umm i hope you know rogers negociates the carriage deals with the Channels/network, but its solely the NETWORKS who are responsible for what games are played on the individual channels,  Rogers can not tell TSN to air a serie a game or a barkleys english premiere league game.  rogers or other cable/satellite and fibre optic iptv providers are NOT responsible for what is aired on the individual channels and i stand buy my post

Headfake
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers can or can't choose the channels it carries? What I'm saying is Rogers can choose to carry channels like ESPN HD, the various AL JAZEERA SPORTS HD channels and all the various other channels around the world if they "negotiate" a deal for one of the soccer channels from across the pond for example. There's plenty of soccer channels around the world. Rogers simply has to negotiate the deal.

Rogers can't tell TSN what to air but Rogers can pick an alternative to TSN that carries soccer from around the world. Not that I dislike TSN but with no serious sports teams in the GTA, all they're good for is Formula 1.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually your incorrect, sorry to inform you but various channels such as ESPN HD, AL JAZEERA SPORTS HD, and many more, are NOT authorized for distrobution in Canada by ANY cable or satalight dish provider. There is a governing body called the CRTC, you should read up on how channels are born, they need to apply for a licence and get approved by this governing body before they can be picked up by a Cable or satalight or IPTV provider.

Rogers has negociations already with the channels that are already allowed to be broadcast in canada, how many soccer games are played per week/weekend? maybe 10 matches?  most ppl wanna watch a game live, not repeat, so the channels have to air the one they will get the most bang for the buck. so Sportsnet chooses which games are aired on which stations, tsn, setanta, cbc, goal tv, rai, etc   its up to the specific stations and these games are picked months and months in advanced they are not decided at the last minute, there are other factors as well, such as advsertizing revenue, cost of the broadcasting rights, commercials, etc..

Headfake
I Plan to Stick Around

I think anyone who watches tv knows of that papaer lion organization, or at least a paper lion when it comes to helping Canadian consumers.. So, I'm inccorect, from what I've been reading in other posts, I don't believe anyone who disagrees with you is ever correct about anything. I KNOW that they're not authorized. I also know nobody is trying to get them authorized that's part of my point. Why doesn't your blessed Rogers take a shot, or should I do it.

10 matches? In season there's more than I can count. I know because I have to stream the good ones in order to watch them.  I don't recall the last time a soccer game was on tsn (a real one). Setanta has almost nothing live of quality and is obscenely priced. (last time I check) Cbc? I don't recall the last time I saw something live on Goal. Rai is the only station of these mentioned that carry live quality games, non hd mind you. In a language I can't understand but still I pay for it as I get my weekly fix of one league. I don't consider MLS serious soccer so I don't count those games on any channel and thanks to MLSE's handling, soon to be minus a team in Toronto I would think.

I think part of the point that pauly was trying to make.. its not really up to rogers from that way.

The forign channel, needs to apply to the CRTC to be allowed, if i understand the process.

I would think that a company like rogers could help them at least in the way of a 'sponsor' like when someone applys for citizenship, etc.. that there is someone wanting to have that channel.. but i think that is about all they can do.

Headfake
I Plan to Stick Around
Actually, from what I've discovered, it's not Rogers fault, it's BeIN's fault. Hopefully it will change soon. Still, it would be nice if Rogers were to get involved with them and make it happen some how. On the other hand, I imagine they don't see this as worth their time despite the growing popularity of the sport.

Headfake
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes @GDkitty and what I found was BeIN doesn't have a Canadian partner but ya, Rogers could help, huge I would think.

Headfake
I Plan to Stick Around

One last point, another fan on another forum DID contact BeIn Sports who owns the rights, about no coverage in Canada, They said you have to get in touch with your cable or satellite providor. Maybe they're incorrect also on what Rogers can and can't do.

In general, they may be correct.. but it may varry from country to country.

For say a country in europe, there may not be much regulatory stuff involved in getting it, other than the station asking for it... vs in canada.. it all has to go through the CRTC.

RevJoc
I've Been Here Awhile

This has been a terrible year for watching soccer.   Without subscribing to seversal more stations - SN!, TSN2, whatrever... [I already have TSN and sportsnet and Sports World - expensive and was orifginallyy for soccer] , you cannot watch even English Football.   Please just offer a subscription for watching socccer!  I do not watch MMA, Rugby, Cricket... no occupies SW... and the SW others have baseball... ugh.      

Yers, \I know that Rogers ddoesn't decide what games are offered on what channel, but it does determine what stationas are included in packages.   If another cable satelite service offers a comprehensive soccer package, I will change from Rogers at the end of contract.  Way too frustrating and expensive.   John

Pottertons
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello everyone,

While this is a very old thread, I thought it would be best to keep the community nice and tidy rather than starting up another one. 🙂

What I'm looking to found out, is how the matches are delegated amongst the various available channels? 
I'm finding it very hard to justify the continued rental of a PVR when a good chunk of the matches I wish to watch are on SNWLHD and to pay another $20/mth just seems very unreasonable. 
So then, how does Rogers decide which matches will be on which channels? 

Secondly, with the unfortunate difference in time zone's, are there any plans to have all of the upcoming World Cup 2018 matches available via a more 'expedited' version of On-Demand? 
I say 'expedited' because, if I recall correctly, this has been offered before but it wasn't for all matches and even with that, the ones that were made accessible were not uploaded for another 24-48 hrs I believe. It definitely wasn't instant anyway. 

thanks for the help everyone. 🙂 

p.s. While I understand the frustration of some, it must be said that the available coverage over the years (well....decades really) has improved. 

Hello @Pottertons,

As a fellow Footy Fan, I totally understand your desire to understand how the match selections work and what the World Cup 2018 (Go France! Cat Wink) coverage is going to look like.

The best place to go for an answer to both of these inquiries is to reach out to the Sportsnet folks directly. You can reach out to them in multiple ways and you can see all the options available by Clicking Here to be directed to the Contact Us page for Sportsnet.

I hope you are able to get the answers to your questions once you reach out to them. Feel free to let the Community Forums know what you were able to find out!

RogersTony

Pottertons
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks Tony. A message has been sent to SN.

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

Don't think Sportsnet can help much. CTV has the Canadian rights to the 2018 World Cup. The games will be shown on the various TSN channels and some also on the main CTV network as far as I know.

Cacat
I Plan to Stick Around

Another kick in the teeth today - no European Qualifiers anywhere - even for me and others who reluctantly anted up for DAZN. All of these big matches for Euro 2020 - England vs Czech Republic anyone? Just cool your heels players, coaches, soccer enthusiasts from our British Colony here in North America. The Yanks have it on ESPN - well, they have lots of things we ain't - used to it by now? No Cable...I think it's despicable..what do you? Do you care?

Cacat
I Plan to Stick Around

Soccer - UEFA - National Teams playing for places in Europe 2020 - not on Canadian cable - suffer!

Ok - England beat the Czech 5-0! You don't need to watch live - just see the highlights somewhere with Russian commentary on your laptop later! 

No streaming in Canada either - use the time for something productive this weekend as it is the international break. You'll get some crumbs on Sat March 30 -.when Barclays resumes. And..stop whining...no soccer for you on Canadian cable...there's curling, however!