cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Now That Rogers Isn't Carrying The 9800...

patrickivan
I Plan to Stick Around

In place of the 9810, what do I do with my 6 month old 9800? No more OS support from Rogers leaves me with an outdated system chaulked full of glitches. It's in the shop now. Do I expect the software to be fixed? No, because they don't know how. Because RIM hasn't provided any correction updates. They just pushed the far superiour 9810 out the door and Rogers embraced it.

My wife was sold the white 1 month before Rogers stopped carrying it. I just got them to replace it with the Galaxy 4G. As a blackberry lover, I really think I'm done with BlackBerry's. RIM won't do anything really productive or cutting edge. And Rogers doesn't seem to care either. So I want something done about my pretty bloody new device.

I mean what a joke- you get into a 3 year contract (well, re-newed) and get stuck with something that Rogers abandons!

And I am really getting sick of Rogers customer service. Techs say one thing, CSR's another. ANd Managers and exec say yet another thing! No consistency.

Just remember Rogers- you stop, and I'll stop complaining. Unlike what one of your execs said I was doing too much of. Great customer service there when your services are glitching out on me and the $12000 I spend on Rogers over 3 years... \

Maybe time to take that $12000 elsewhere...

***edited labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: So Now That Rogers Isn't Carrying The 9800...

Villain79
I've Been Here Awhile

where are you getting this info from?

1 - Rogers doesn't make the OS... RIM does

2 - RIM?rogers still update software for long past blackberries

3 - I bought a 2006 malibu and guess what... chevy released a 2007 malibu.

I really fail to see your argument here

patrickivan
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm getting it from Rogers Wireless owners- front line people who have a vested interest in selling products that don't come back. They've had serious issues with the 9800 since it came out. I also got it from Rogers CSRs.

1. No kidding, eh? I didn't say that Rogers MADE the OS, so learn to read. I said they're not supporting it any more. RIM makes the OS as per the operational requirements of the device in question, and in conjunction with the needs of the carrier. RIM hasn't provided any fixes to the OS glitches rampant in the 9800, and Rogers hasn't demanded RIM to provide fixes, therefore ROgers hasn't provided any support in the OS. When a product breaks, I complain to the people I bought it from, not the makers. Sell me defective crap, and you have to pay for it.

2. RIM does to some extent. But again, unless it's actually sanctioned by your carrier, and you install it, say by to any warranty help. And again, as for the 9800, we've seen nothing to correct it's many issues. Well, we saw the 9810 instead of any help with the 9800. It was my 9800 that was GIVEN to me because they no longer would update my 9000. So if you want to talk about what Rogers does to provide support, you may want to get your information straight. It was their position of having sold me something that they no longer would support that allowed me to get the torch. A device that turned out to be ripe with issues from the get-go, and RIM and Rogers had time to get it sorted out. But refused.

3. Cars have recalls too... So what's your point? I never said they shouldn't put out new devices. It's the reasoning behind it in this case. A screwed up OS isn't fixed, so instead of tech support, we get a new 9810.

It would be a shame that you failed to see my argument here if you were in a position to address my concerns. But this is more for Rogers as opposed to people like yourself.

Try installing the latest OS from another carrier

BillJ
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I hate to interrupt here, but I've seen very few problems I (along with my colleagues) could not work out.  Taking nizon's advice of installing an OS from another carrier would work and might be worth looking into, however if you choose to not go that route, please tell us exactly what's ailing your 9800 and we can take a crack at it.

I look forward to hearing from you.  🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

My friend. RIM is the one that is making the OS for the blackberry NOT ROGERS.

Contact RIM & speak to them. Like the rest said istall a fresh OS from another carrier on your 9800 & see. My 9800 Works fine without lag. Maybe you have to many apps or  you leave apps open which takes up memory. 

patrickivan
I Plan to Stick Around

I would try that, but installing an OS from another carrier would void my warranty. As Per Rogers. Thanks though- and I had considered it....

patrickivan
I Plan to Stick Around

No dude, I didn't say Rogers makes the OSs... But I can't install an OS from another carrier without voiding my warranty. As I said previously, that's per Rogers.

As for lag, that's not the issue. I'm not running even close to a full device.

The issues revolve around autorotation (that can obviously be a software or physical issue)

Browsing issues where the device will randomly not connect despite strong network or wifi connections.

Issues were the screen will randomly freeze.

Amongst others, including my wife having some of the EXACT same problems. That's not a coincidence when it happens between other users (and noted in other blackberry forums). And that's after a wipe and before reinstalling any superfluous app.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

You know how many people install other carrier OS on the device & nothing happnes?

All ypou get from the other carriers are bloatware. The software is the same but carriers attend to add there own things like apps for exaple to the software ( which you can just delete). Add the ATT version on your phone. Same exact software. Believe me i have done this before on my 9780 & it was working fine.

BillJ
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I would tend to agree with Meowmix, partly because of (his/her?) cool name.  😉

Okay, time to get serious.  Installing a new version of OS from another carrier is something I've done many times with great success.  Sometimes it's all your phone needs, just something new under the hood.

I do a lot of advising on the BlackBerry Forums, so I try to always have the latest OS on my phone.  I've changed it and changed it back dozens of times just for the fun of it and I've yet to run into any problems with the procedure.

If you choose not to follow that route, so be it.  However, by the sounds of it you're not getting much warranty support as it is so it might be worth the effort.

I hope that helps you.  🙂

Villain79
I've Been Here Awhile

Well sorry that your fustrated but you were misinformed.

RIM makes the OS as well as the updates and they get approved by the carrier. every single past blackberry that rogers sold they still get updates and still support. the 9700 just got an update not that long ago and has been out dated by two bolds now.

I know whats wrong... your fustrated that you bought a 9800 and half a year later a new/faster model came out but that happens all the time and will continue to happen and isn't exclusive to rogers.

did you try simply reloading and not restoring a back up just to test?

patrickivan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey "Villian", I can only go by what Rogers tells me. And if they tell me that they're not going to support my 9000, not 9700 any more, what else can I do? That's rhetorical by the way.

And you think you know what's wrong, but what you are, is incorrect. For Rogers offered me a newer device and I told them to review my existing one first. If they can fix it, then I want it back. If not, then, and only then was I willing to take them up on their offer. I turned them down pending the review because i want to KNOW exactly what's wrong with it.

And yes, I did indeed reinstall the OS. The device was wiped and cleaned. Regardless, it's out of my hands now since it is in for repairs.

Though I'm 100% selling it when I get it back. I've gone from a blackberry lover to one who is through with them. I've given them 4 years and delt with 4 years of glitches. I'll move on to something else that's full of glitches.

dan10
I Plan to Stick Around

installing a different OS (non-carrier) DOES NOT void any warranty. plus you can always downgrade your OS if there is a problem

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation