Slow speeds with Hybrid Fibre 30

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Slow speeds with Hybrid Fibre 30

We recently upgraded our internet plan from the Express 80 to the hybrid fibre 30. We needed to get the new modem/ router to replace the older one. Since the upgrade, there are areas in the house where the signal is low or non existent. Our download speeds in the evening are incredibly slow. On a wired connection we are getting 10 Mbps, on a wireless it's more like 2 Mbps. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. It is virtually unusable for MMO games that were playing on the old modem. Would an upgrade to the hybrid fibre 60 plan help? Upgrade to the next modem up? Get a range extender? When I called for tech support all they were able to tell me was that there is no packet loss and I should be getting better numbers.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow speeds with Hybrid Fibre 30

Hi.  Ok, to begin, I don't think that this question actually belongs here.  It should be on its own or with a thread regarding modem performance.  So, you're on the Hybrid 30 which should give you 30 Mb/s down and 5 up.  Can you indicate which modem you currently have and what devices you connect to the modem, both wired and wireless.  If you have the CGN3 modem, here is a previous posting that I did which summarizes the issues with the CGN3.  I wouldn't look at upgrading plans just yet.  The first item of business to to get your download / upload speeds up to where they should be.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for responding.
It is model CGN2.
We have an ipad2, iPad mini, laptop, and PC connected wirelessly. They may all be in use simultaneously or 1 might be online at a time.
A second, older PC is wired (I have wired the laptop too with the same results).
I don't think we need more bandwidth as we were fine with the lower limit we had with the express 80 package.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, can you log into the modem and navigate to STATUS......CM STATUS.  When you are there, please copy the downstream and upstream table data and paste it into this thread.  I'd like to have a look at the power levels and signal to noise ratios just to make sure there is nothing wrong with them.  This is going to be a process of elimination, step by step.  However, keep in mind that none of the combo modem / router devices are known for good wireless performance.

To have a look at your wireless network you can load inSSIDer, which is a wireless network monitoring application.  When that is loaded on your laptop, you can check various locations around the house and see how your wireless network stacks up against your neighbours networks in terms of received power.  When you look at the network list on the left hand side of the display, you want to see your network at the very top, with all of the other networks down below by at least 15 to 20 dB.  Anything less that a 10 db separation and I would expect you to run into problem with co-channel interference.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a confirmation, that on WIRED you get the same slower speeds, etc?
To me, that leads me to more think a signal, etc issue possibly.. as what Datalink was asking for the info for Smiley Happy

Beyond that, your looking at wireless stregth/signal effecting your speeds, etc.
All the gateways, are not well known to have good range, etc..
There are some options, to use a 3rd party router connected to it, to get better range, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Permitted

Tune Channel

Downstream Frequency (MHz) Upstream ID

Downstream

Port 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Frequency (MHz) 693.000 669.000 675.000 681.000 687.000 699.000 705.000 711.000 Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM Signal power (dBmV) 4.242 3.619 2.769 2.393 3.154 4.644 4.956 5.040 Signal noise ratio (dB) 36.174 35.779 35.417 35.417 35.972 36.386 36.844 36.609 Channel ID 137 133 134 135 136 138 139 140

Upstream

Port 1 2 3 4 Frequency (Hz) 38596000 30596000 23700000   Bandwidth (kbps/KHz) 3200000 6400000 6400000   ModulationType ATDMA ATDMA ATDMA   Signal power (dBmV) 48.5000 48.5000 48.5000   Channel ID 1 2 3  

Cable Modem IP Information

I hope you can read this, I am unable to copy the nice graphics.

Port 1 goes with the first number of each set, Port 2 goes with the second number,etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The signal, you should be hoping to have around ZERO (usually +/- 1 or so either way is ok)

That you are at 4+ on some.. COULD be part of the issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Reading through the numbers, your Downstream signal power is a little high, nothing to get excited about really and the signal to noise ratios are ok as well.  Your Upstream signal power is too high.  It is within spec, which is normally 51dBmV, but it is high.  Usually when I see these, the combination is a low Downstream power level with a high Upstream power level.  I would guess that you might have an inline amplifier in your cable installation somewhere which is boosting the Downstream levels and possibly masking the problem.  I would have a discussion with tech support with the aim of having a tech come to your home to determine why the upstream levels are so high.  That is usually indicative of an external cable or connector issue.  You aren't far from the upper limit on the upstream levels, so any short term spikes upwards would take you to or beyond the normal operating limit.  The normal values are 0 dBmV for the Downstream power level and 37 to 40 dBmV on the upstream power level.

I Plan to Stick Around

I loaded inSSIDer onto the laptop. My network was listed at the top and the other neighbourhood networks had a difference of >10 generally. There is a mystery network listed, I think it maybe mine since the numbers are similar and when I changed wireless channels on the advice of the program, it also changed channels. I have my main network, X, the guest network, X-guest, and this unlabelled network on the inSSIDer. On my laptop there was another network, X 2, and my laptop said i was connected to Y (home network) where Y is an older router I had and tried to connect to the current CGN2 to see if the strength was any better. I have disconnected that one (CIsco Valet) in case it was competing with X.

Changing the channel seemed to help a bit. The ping on the World Of Tanks on the iPad was around 50 but did go up to 300-900 at times.

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks, I will call Tech Support. I now have something to go on.