Slow Unlimited High-speed Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baljitchohan
I've Been Around

Slow Unlimited High-speed Internet

hi. i have rogers unlimited high speed internet, but i've been noticing that its been very very slow lately, even if i'm near the reuter or far from it. whats the reason for my internet being slow?

***edited labels***

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Unlimited High-speed Internet

Can you provide more details including the modem model and how you are connecting to it.  Is the problem evident on both wired and wireless, or just one?  If the speed problem is with your wireless laptops, etc, have you looked at the wireless environment around your home with inSSIDer to look for any interference problems?  If not, here is a link to the last free version.  This has since become a pay version with supports 802.11ac wireless. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

With a little more info, perhaps forum members can make a suggestion or two which will help solve the issue.

bitemelatr
I've Been Around

I had Rogers High Speed Internet and used to get 62 Mbps then overtime time it dropped to 30 Mbps with signficant pauses and clocking.

I upgraded to new Fibre that claimed to achieve up to 150 Mbps for the service I am paying for.

I now get 32 Mbps.

After two weeks of trying Rogers technicians are stumped.

Last I heard is that there is a so called Packette Loss situation.

Continue packette loss could ultimately mean customer loss especially when they keep suggesting I change my router.

I am on my third one!!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, it sounds like you have a CGN3 modem / router.  Looking at your download speed it looks like you might be connecting to a 10/100 Mb/s device.  That in itself is not a problem, however, the CGN3 appears to have a bug in the firmware which causes it to throttle back the download / upload data rate when its connected to a 10/100 device. 

So, if you could, please indicate where the CGN3 is located, ie downstairs near the RG6 cable entrance and connected via house ethernet, or possibly upstairs connected by short patch cable to a pc or laptop, switch, router, etc, etc.  The more detail you include in your description of your connected devices, wired and wireless, and how they connect, the easier it will be to make suggestions of what to check. 

Just to start, I'm going to assume that you have a direct wired connection from the CGN3 to a pc or laptop.  If so, can you right click on the network symbol on the lower right hand corner and select "Open Network and Sharing Center".  When that panel comes up, select the Local Area Connection on the right hand side to bring up the connection status panel.  Can you tell me what the Connection Speed is indicating?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As datalink said some info on what is directly connecting to it (a 3rd part router (if so what model), a PC, etc)

My first thought is the same as datalinks. 10/100 devices are hitting a bug, and generally seem to slow to about the speed you are experiencing.
(You also then, even if working, never reach the 150 if it's 10/100)

bpinder6055
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm searching thru the forums lookings for answers to the problems we are having with this CGN3 modem. We get drop outs with the PS3 consistently and websites load slowly and you cant click on anything for a few seconds when they do.

Anyway, I was just hoping for some solutions.

Thanks.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

In order to provide any suggestions to resolve your current situation, we'll need more info.  Here are a couple of questions to start with:

1.  Can you log into the CGN3 and have a look at the firmware version on the status page and let us know what it is.

2.  Have a look at my posts on the following page.  Can you copy the same DOSCIS WAN download and upload tables and paste them into this thread in order to see what your signal levels and signal to noise ratios are at.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

3.  On the back of the CGN3 you will see the connection LEDs which in this case are green for 10/100 Mb/s and Yellow for gigabit connections.  These indicate the interconnection rates between the CGN3 and the device that it is connected to.  If the LED is green, that means that whatever is at the other end of that connection will interconnect at a maximum of 100 Mb/s.  If it is yellow, then the interconnect rate is 1 Gb/s.  There is a problem with the CGN3 in that it thottles back the download rate when it's connected to a 10/100 Mb/s device.   If that is the case, which can be determined by looking at the colour of the LEDS, you're download rates are usually throttled down to somewhere around 30 to 40 Mb/s.  With a 1 gig interconnect rate, depending on your service plan, you should be seeing max download rates above 90 Mb/s if you are on the 60 Mb/s plan, 200 Mb/s if you're on a 150 Mb/s plan or above 300 mb/s if you're on a 250 Mb/s plan.   You can also check on the pc itself by right clicking on the internet connect symbol on the lower right hand corner of the monitor, select Open Network and Sharing Center and then select the local Area Connection on the right hand side.  The status panel popup should indicate a 1 Gb/s interconnect with the CGN3 if you're cabling supports it.  Please indicate what port connection rates you are seeing and what those ports are attached to as well. 

4.  Please indicate if you have more than one service, such as internet, tv, home phone, etc.

I might ask you to provide more infor regarding the devices that are connected, both wired and wireless, but for now the list above is a good start.

The one other thought that comes to mind is whether or not the PS3 requires any port forwarding in order to run properly. Here is an interesting reference site for PS3 port forwarding with the CGN3:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/HitronTechnologies/CGN3/PlayStation_Network.h...