Slow Internet speed in the evenings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Slow Internet speed in the evenings

Lucky you!

I have express service and I only get 5Mbps at the best of times. I'm guessing it is my modem? It is a "webstar" courtesy of Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

I live in Ottawa (Nepean) and have Hi-Speed Express and have noticed the intolerable speeds in the evening. I had figured it had something to do with a new cable booster unit that was installed recently when we got a new digital terminal, but I believe this issue started prior to that. Once something starts downloading, the speed is usually ok, although there can be occasional pauses. But the main issue is that there is such a delay between pressing Enter to go to a website and when the page finally loads.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Hmm when I had a booster installed they put a splitter to the modem first then the booster then all the tv's... Maybe try that setup?
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the tip, but if they want to make a change to the setup, I'll let Rogers do it. I looked at the documentation that the technician left behind for the booster and it showed one un-boosted output for cable modems, which is where it's connected to. I was on the Internet this morning and it was working great, so I'm pretty sure it's a congestion issue in the evenings. I'm going to give Rogers a call tonight if I'm having issues again and I'll see what they say.

I'm a Senior Advisor

yeah sounds like it's setup right... Issue is probably congestion.. I wasn't home last night to see if the internet was slow or not.. I'll test tonight...

I Plan to Stick Around

For what it's worth, things have been running great all day, including this evening, although it's early yet.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah seems nice tonight.. Though maybe everyone is watching the Sens game..

I just tried a torrent and was getting between 300 - 400 KB/s so not too bad.. Not my 10meg connection but hey pretty good for torrents since apparently they throttle..
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been testing speed in my home for about a week now.  in the mornings I get between 5 and 10 mbps.  In the evenings I get between 1 ad 1.5.  I believe that this is due to increased neighbourhood use in the evening and with more people watching internet tv and streaming music etc, it makes sense.  But this is unacceptable. Is there any fix in the works or is it time to move to Bell fiber? From the previous posts (specifically the Toronto ones), I don't believe I am being piggybacked by hackers.  I believe I am feeling the effects of cable internet.  Unless Rogers is working on increased service, I will be moving after the new year.

rixax in Toronto

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Registered just show I could show this lame trace route I just took at 12:50am...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.225.17]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms     2 ms  phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
  2   495 ms   417 ms   453 ms  10.37.224.1
  3   358 ms   305 ms   351 ms  69.63.243.245
  4   676 ms   246 ms   126 ms  69.63.249.1
  5   213 ms   234 ms   233 ms  gw01.mtmc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.1
37]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7   841 ms   430 ms   601 ms  216.239.47.114
  8   458 ms   601 ms   603 ms  216.239.46.160
  9   515 ms   668 ms   657 ms  64.233.174.173
 10   798 ms   913 ms   853 ms  74.125.225.17

Trace complete.

This is with Rogers "extreme" internet HA!

I'm a Senior Advisor

"extreme-ly slow" They never said which extreme the service was going to be.. 😉
Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation