Slow Connection Speeds after upgrading to Rogers EXTREME PLUS

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Slow Connection Speeds after upgrading to Rogers EXTREME PLUS

When my internet connection was upgraded, I was surprised to note that I have been getting average speeds at best from speedtest.net, from the 5-15 range mostly. My torrents download at an all-time low of  11 kb/s. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

After coming home to see a new SMC modem, I figured it would need some configuring, but I have NO IDEA where to start.

Does my router interfere at all? Currently my setup goes like this:

Provider (Rogers)

|

|

SMC Modem

|
|
Router (Linksys WRT160N)

|
|
Computers

I tried hooking up my computer directly to the modem, but it would not connec to the internet. I have read threads that say to go into the modem's config (192.168.0.1) and disable certain settings, but I'm not sure if this will work.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

MIke

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Slow Connection Speeds after upgrading to Rogers EXTREME PLUS

Isn't the speed of the torrent file dependant on how many people are seeding it?

I have 15mps down, and when I'm torrenting something, sometimes it's 2500kb/s and sometimes it's 10kb/s. Some are seeded by a lot, some only by a few.

Dunno if this helps, this is just what I noticed on my downloads.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Almost all of the torrents I use have large amounts of seeds, yet I still max out at around 200 kb/s. (and thats rarely. It more like 1-100)

I have gone over 1mb/s before, but that was BEFORE upgrading.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

While direct support for peer-to-peer file sharing programs isn't provided by Rogers, you may want to look into searching online forums for any settings changes that you could implement to improve your experience. Even a little tweak in the settings can make a big difference.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Is your SMC modem in bridge mode or in router mode?

You can check this by logging into your WRT160N and clicking on the status tab. Then check the ip address of your WAN or internet port. If the IP is something like 192.168.x.x then your SMC is in router mode which would mean you have 2 routers the traffic is going through. If this is the case I would call tech support and ask them to change the modem into bridge mode. Or you could stop using your WRT160N, but I think the first option is the best one.

Once that is done or if your modem is already in bridge mode I would check to see if you have upnp enabled on the WRT160N this should auto forward the ports you need for your torrents to run.

You can also search online for port numbers that work better for torrents, try turning on encryption and such.. Sometimes there are weird little tweaks that are beyond my scope of understanding but seem to work..
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Yes I upgraded as well.  I think the basic point is being missed.

(1) Download speed for Extreme is advertised at 25Mbps.  Yes I do not get that either. My best is about 15.  Why?

(2) My SMC keeps dropping and reconnecting.  About 2-5 times per day.

(3) It is highly probable that Rogers can deliver to the SMC far greater than 25Mbps

So, technically if you are not running torrents, games or the like, then the Modem/Router should pass 25Mbps, but it does not and continually drops and reconnects.  This would suggest a design issue with the SMC.  Not a matter of reconfiguring the unit.

Comments?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There are quite a few threads on this forum describing problems people are having with the SMC modem/router combo.  Ya want fries with that?  

Best talk to Rogers tech support.    The disconnect issue has come up frequently and other users have had to return modems that just didn't want to get with the program.  Might also be a firmware update that didn't reach your newly installed unit yet.

There are also quite a few rants about Rogers not allowing a stand alone, third party vanilla DOCSIS 3 modem on their system.   I know because I wrote most  of 'em.

Rogers practices traffic shaping and clearly states that they can and do throttle torrent traffic during peak times.   I don't know if they would tell you  exactly what peak times are,  but that could have something to do with slow torrent performance.    

My statement on traffic shaping is strictly is based on a poor memory and may be a shot in the dark.   I don't use torrents myself,  prefer usenet newsgroups.  I get the same files much faster without the security risks.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi Ian,

The download speed for Extreme is up to 15Mbps, the service described in the previous post is Extreme PLUS which is up to 25Mbps. If you are subscribed to Extreme PLUS and are only getting 15Mbps, it would be best to contact Rogers technical support to investigate that as skutflut suggested. We can also check for any issues that could be causing the disconnects (i.e, are you using a wireless connection? is your modem plugged into a power bar?) Little things that may seem obvious or get overlooked could cause heaps of issues if not checked properly. A technician visit or device swap might be necessary if there is an issue.

Hope this helps!

RR
Highlighted
I've Been Around

OMG!  An I mean Oh Emmmm Geeee!

I just got the extreme deal... and I went from VBlazing Torrent download speeds and nice upload speeds to **bleep**!

Download and Upload speeds went to **bleep** after an upgrade to a service that stated FASTER  speeds.

I got the SMC modem and had them disable the Wi_Fi **bleep** because there was no way for it to loop back for port forwarding.

Now that I have my d-link connected again, I can't get the speeds either uploading or downloading I did with the lesser  package.

ROGERS! you are  nothing but a bully, but I'm glad to say that BELL Optics is stating better performance than you can provide... Unless you fix this problem, I a 10 year loyal customer will be moving ALL my services away to them....

For all thosw wondering if Rogers throtles your service... http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mlab.php  will give you your answer.

YES ROGERS THOTTLES TORRENTS!!!!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Yes you are definitely correct in that Rogers manages P2P traffic on our network, which has been public knowledge for some time now. You can view the following link to upraise yourself regarding our traffic management policy.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/network_management