Skype/Datasense not available for WP8?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Skype/Datasense not available for WP8?

Has Skype not been launched for WP8 yet? I just realized it doesn't show up in the store. I also realized there isn't an option for Datasense to track data usage, is this something Rogers will support soon? It looks like a really handy tool.

****Edited Labels****

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Skype/Datasense not available for WP8?

Skype is an integral part of WP8, no app needed! 🙂
I've Been Here Awhile

Same for Data Sense btw. It's integrated in WP8.
I Plan to Stick Around

I do believe thats wrong on both counts.

Skype IS integrated into WP8, but it is still an app that has to be downloaded. Current reports state that the skype app should be available momentarily (ie, any day now).

The Datasense app has to be integrated by the carrier so I think this will be a downloadable app as well once its available, or maybe its already on the phone but disabled until enabled by the carrier. I don't know.

I Plan to Stick Around

@FlyingD wrote:
Skype is an integral part of WP8, no app needed! 🙂

Wrong on both accounts. Skype is a separate download that plugs into the new VOIP system (no doubt to avoid the extra charges stupidity AT&T is pulling with FaceTime on iPhones in the United States). However, Skype is currently missing from the marketplace. I assume it's been pulled for an update, although I have no idea why developers pull this stupidity.

Second, DataSense requires integration from the carrier. Lack of this feature means that Rogers hasn't finished its implementation or didn't bother.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

This is true. Skype is a separate app that you will need to download.

" Last week, if you recall, Microsoft announced Skype for Windows 8, a touch-friendly app that appeared in the Windows Store the same day Win 8 went on sale. Now, with Windows Phone 8 getting its big reveal, the company is following up with a WP8 version, which Microsoft says is coming soon. "

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/skype-for-windows-phone-8/
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry, I got a little too excited. Saw articles pointing out the 'tight integration' with WP8 and thought it came with it. (Skype is owned by Microsoft so why not have it in the OS...)

I Plan to Stick Around

@FlyingD wrote:
Sorry, I got a little too excited. Saw articles pointing out the 'tight integration' with WP8 and thought it came with it. (Skype is owned by Microsoft so why not have it in the OS...)

Get's all political when it comes to MS and Antitrust....

It's all coming, keep in mind Rogers jumped the gun....To Stores not Reservations Smiley Wink. It will be on the market soon....

One thing that surprised me, is no one is talking about Visual Voicemail, doesn't look like it's been intergrated in Rogers?

I Plan to Stick Around

@John555 wrote:

@FlyingD wrote:

Get's all political when it comes to MS and Antitrust....

It's all coming, keep in mind Rogers jumped the gun....To Stores not Reservations Smiley Wink. It will be on the market soon....

One thing that surprised me, is no one is talking about Visual Voicemail, doesn't look like it's been intergrated in Rogers?

Of course not! That makes as much sense as having multiple Lumia colors! And to further rub it in, they also cripple third party voicemail...

I Plan to Stick Around

Of course not! That makes as much sense as having multiple Lumia colors! And to further rub it in, they also cripple third party voicemail...

Read this, you can see Skype for WP8 hasn't been released yet. Once you install the APP, it iwll intergrate into the OS. This is not a Rogers block, Skype is available for Rogers WP7 devices, not to mention Rogers IOS, Android devices, they are not blocking it.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57542745-85/skype-for-windows-phone-8-has-some-smart-moves-hands-on...

In regards to what I said, read up on news about Microsoft buying Skype prior to closing the deal. Read up on the latest event with the glitched that didn't give non-IE browsers a fair chance in Europe. Europe is a bigger problem for Microsoft then North America, read up on N versions of Windows.....

Of course I could always be completely wrong and you could be right, just going by everything I've read....

For VoiceMail, it's not a cripple technically speaking, they have to have the backend which they don't and if anyone from Rogers is listening, I hope they will. Personally, I would switch to whichever carrier offered Visual Voice Mail....