Simple remote control for seniors? Rogers or Rogers-compatible

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Simple remote control for seniors? Rogers or Rogers-compatible

Does Rogers directly offer something like this? Or can a third-party remote control somehow be made to work with the box? Looking on behalf an older person who is struggling. I don't know the model of the current remote or box, sorry - hoping there's something that can work with all?

The remote needs to be simple. As few options as possible - this person only wants to watch television via the box, in real-time - no programming, recording, nothing fancy/confusing. Basically, "turn on/off", "channel up/down", and "volume" are the only things we want on this remote control. Maybe some numbers for the channels. Much more than that and the TV would stay off, as it has.

Big buttons would be amazing.

Thank you

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Simple remote control for seniors? Rogers or Rogers-compatible

I will update with the box and current remote model as soon as I can.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Some third party programmable remotes do work with Rogers equipment...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if it would work with the digital boxes, but Rogers uses a very simple remote for use with the digital adapters. It might be worth an inquiry to Rogers.

http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/large/Rogers_DTA_200x600lg.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The BIG remotes work with the smaller boxes.. but not sure if the DTA remotes work with the full on digital boxes though.
Obviously would work then for channel, volume, etc.. wouldnt be able to access the guide though.

Other than that... as sugested.. some programmable ones might be able to be set up to work with it... but again may limit TOO many functions... and it will be hit and miss to find the correct remote that will work .

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

The BIG remotes work with the smaller boxes.. but not sure if the DTA remotes work with the full on digital boxes though.
Obviously would work then for channel, volume, etc.. wouldnt be able to access the guide though.

The OP does not care about the guide. As stated: "As few options as possible - this person only wants to watch television via the box, in real-time - no programming, recording, nothing fancy/confusing. Basically, "turn on/off", "channel up/down", and "volume" are the only things we want on this remote control. Maybe some numbers for the channels." 

Now whether the DTA remotes will work with a digital box is another matter. If they do not, it is certainly something for Rogers to consider. There are many out there confounded by technology and just want something simple. Roger's current dearth of cullular technolgy for people who just want to be able to make phone calls is a perfect example. This is why I suggested that the OP contact Rogers to see if the DTA remotes will work on the digital boxes.  Here is another one the OP could be interested in:

http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/large/Rogers_SrDTA_200x600.png

Unfortunately, if Rogers cannot provide this alternative, then some kind of simple universal remote would be the only option!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was just posting it, as a statement of fact that it wouldnt be accessible... but your right, the OP doesnt specifically want it.

If the OP isnt overly concerned about picture quality (being in HD, etc).. and depending on their TV package.. a DTA as a whole might be a good device as a whole then?

Took a quick peek at some other UNIVERSAL ones... seems like a good majority of them have the same # of buttons as the rogers remote 😞 (likely so they can emulate all the buttons ON a remote like the rogers one).

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Remote_Controls&p...
Something like this is pretty simple though... all comes down to IF they are programable to the rogers box 😞

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re:Simple remote control for seniors? Rogers or Rogers-compatible

it would be an excellent idea if rogers came out with a simple remote for seniors that is very easy to use. maybe with just channel up/down, volume up/down. plus power on/off for those senoirs who are not technology friendly

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I could not agree more.

It would would GREAT if Rogers had a whole line of products for Seniors - Remote control, mobile phones, home phones 

Seniors phones which are simple, big buttons, easy to hold...

It would be GREAT if Rogers cared about the seniors in Canada, don't you think?