Sim Card transfer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ireland
I've Been Around

Sim Card transfer

I bought myself and my guy new phones for christmas and they both came with the new LTE Sim Cards.  My questions are:

1) Is there an advantage to using the New LTE Sim card over our old rogers sim card

2) Is there a way to transfer our phone numbers and pictures from our current sim cards to the new LTE Sim cards that came with the new phones?

Any Help is appreciated,

Thank you!

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Sim Card transfer

Hello Ireland

1) Yes there is. LTE Sim cards are able to access the LTE networks ( Where Available ). Older sim cards can only access GSM / EDGE / 3G & 4G ( HSPA+). Remember, if you want to access LTE, you will need a LTE sim card & a LTE data plan.

2) Some store MAY be able to do this BUT i suggest calling in. I know the Rogers Plus store at York Mills & Leslie can do it for you. ( Here in Toronto). Most stores may be able to transfer contacts from a old sim to the new sim depending if the store can do it.
Pictures do not get saved on sim cards. They get saved on the phone memory & SD cards. You can email the pictures / videos to another email or use Google to do it for you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It depends on what phone you bought. The new phones are often using  micro-SIM cards. if so, then you have to change.

It also depends on how old your old card is.

As for your phone numbers and pictures, if you are going from Android to Android then all your phone numbers should be in your gmail contacts and will be automatically available.

Pictures, you might want to save to your computer... email them if you have to.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some stores, but not all, some will have a transfer device, that they can copy the stuff off of, might be worth looking around.

As for the lte card, you need a lte card, to get an lte signal where available (even though you may have an lte capable phone, it needs the lte sim)

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Ireland

1) Yes there is. LTE Sim cards are able to access the LTE networks ( Where Available ). Older sim cards can only access GSM / EDGE / 3G & 4G ( HSPA+). Remember, if you want to access LTE, you will need a LTE sim card & a LTE data plan.

2) Some store MAY be able to do this BUT i suggest calling in. I know the Rogers Plus store at York Mills & Leslie can do it for you. ( Here in Toronto). Most stores may be able to transfer contacts from a old sim to the new sim depending if the store can do it.
Pictures do not get saved on sim cards. They get saved on the phone memory & SD cards. You can email the pictures / videos to another email or use Google to do it for you.

View solution in original post

JJCuban
I've Been Here Awhile

A sim card has its own number. So you can't transfer that I believe. I know you can transfer the contacts on that card.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JJCuban

That is correct. If you have had the sim card number already registered on one account and add another one on the same account, it will deactivate that old one and be useless.
debbrabubak
I've Been Here Awhile

That makes more sense. thanks for clearing it up.