cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing in to the forum

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

As you know, Rogers does not automatically sign you in each time you visit, like other sites and forums. I receive many email notifications when there's a new post in a thread I'm following, but when I click the email link, it takes me to the post as an anonymous visitor and I still have to scroll to the top of the page to sign in. However, when I get an email notification of a private message and click link, I get my sign  in screen. Why can't email message notifications work the same way so you don't have to go the extra step of scrolling to the top and signing in?

***Edited Labels***

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
481 REPLIES 481

Re: Signing in to the forum

ghard1
I Plan to Stick Around

Website login loop

Having issues logging into the site.  When I log in, it shows the loading bars for a couple of seconds then loops and begins a reloading sequence that doesn't appear to stop.  I try a different browser and experience the same issue.  If I try again later, I seem to be able to log in.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ghard1 :  It looks like your post was moved to this thread.  If you read the last few pages you'll see that we are all currently encountering these sorts of issues and need to find a workaround that works for us. Sometimes it's a different browser. Sometimes it's logging into MyRogers first and then clicking on the forum link at the bottom.  Sometimes it means exiting the browser (which seems to reset things) and then trying to login afresh.  Etc.

The only thing that works for me now is to exit my browser, use Safari and login to MyRogers first, then click on the forum link.  It used to work on FireFox, but nothing works for me there anymore. Each person's experience seems to be different.  I haven't tried Chrome myself yet.

We are all hoping that Rogers gets this fixed soon since I assume it's probably keeping a lot of people off the forums.

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey Community,

Again we thank you for the patience as we are still patiently waiting for a fix on this. For some reason, it seems to be occurring more frequently on our end.

Observation: When stuck in a loop, the URL displays

"http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums/ct-p/EnglishCommunity?profile.language=...&lang=en"

We've tried a few workarounds like @57 posted about logging in from Rogers.com.  Oddly, when clicking the Community Forums link at the bottom of that page only results in the 1 language parameter. We've been utilizing that workaround recently.

We will update everyone once we get more updates on the fix!

RogersRoland

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersRoland  Appreciate the acknowledgement that you guys are seeing simliar issues on your end and that you have managed to find your own possible workarounds.

Hope they get it fixed soon.  You are more patient as a user of the system - I worked in a work environment where they staff would have just thrown their hands up and said, let me know when it is fixed, and then I would have the CEO down my back as the person responsible for it to get it fixed tout suite.  

It really does seem that each of us has at least managed to find work around actions.

I was pleasantly surprised.  I logged in my from link on the bookmarks to the forum, and low and behold in Chrome, I got to do a happy dance - I got in first try.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

... need to find a workaround that works for us. Sometimes it's a different browser. Sometimes it's logging into MyRogers first and then clicking on the forum link at the bottom.  Sometimes it means exiting the browser (which seems to reset things) and then trying to login afresh.  Etc.

The only thing that works for me now is to exit my browser, use Safari and login to MyRogers first, then click on the forum link.  It used to work on FireFox, but nothing works for me there anymore. Each person's experience seems to be different.  I haven't tried Chrome myself yet.

Thanks @57  that was an excellent description of the many ways that we have all tried to get around this one - you forgot, cross your fingers and hope and pray.  Smiley Indifferent

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just received email notification of a private message. I usually click the link in the message and it takes me to the sign-in screen, then to the message. Now after signing in it just went into a loop, so I had to close the window and sign in like I'm doing now, through My Rogers. So the problem is definitely with Lithium.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I just received email notification of a private message. I usually click the link in the message and it takes me to the sign-in screen, then to the message. Now after signing in it just went into a loop, so I had to close the window and sign in like I'm doing now, through My Rogers. So the problem is definitely with Lithium.

@OLDYELLR  I find that the permutations and combinations of access make it difficult to figure out the cause of the looping.  If you click: "Email me when someone replies" you get a message like the one below in your email. If you click on the link "Re Signing in to the forum" you will see your (OLDYELLR) message, but if you want to reply to it, you will have to sign in. If you try at this point, you will inevitably get the jumping beans and the looping.  For me, signing in with Chrome to www.rogers.com then going to Community Forums seems to work 80% of the time.  It is ridiculous, but Bruce (BS) has indicated the problems earlier.  When will they fix it?  Good question!    Hi User14,

OLDYELLR (Resident Expert) posted a new reply in Community Questions & Suggestions on 11-24-2017 08:19 PM :

Join the conversation below:

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I also noted the new "knowledgebase" However, for 

"Watch On-Demand Music Videos"" The computer portion doesn't apply and it hasn't been called Galaxie for years.

"Order TV Channels, Packages or On Demand Events" Mentions the Quick Start menu - which only applies to the older boxes still running SARA - very confusing for those who have Navigatr.  Same goes for the TV Call Display Item.

Toggling Between Tile View & List View on Navigatr" missed the easiest way which is to repeatedly press the list button.

Wow. These recommendations have been implemented. Thanks Rogers.

User14

@User14 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@OLDYELLR  I find that the permutations and combinations of access make it difficult to figure out the cause of the looping.  If you click: "Email me when someone replies" you get a message like the one below in your email. If you click on the link "Re Signing in to the forum" you will see your (OLDYELLR) message, but if you want to reply to it, you will have to sign in. If you try at this point, you will inevitably get the jumping beans and the looping.  For me, signing in with Chrome to www.rogers.com then going to Community Forums seems to work 80% of the time.  It is ridiculous, but Bruce (BS) has indicated the problems earlier.  When will they fix it?  Good question!   

Hi User14,

OLDYELLR (Resident Expert) posted a new reply in Community Questions & Suggestions on 11-24-2017 08:19 PM :

Above I said "you will inevitably get the jumping beans and the looping". I was incorrect. It is still hit or miss in tying to get in.  I did try access this evening and I was able to sign in to the community forum from the link in the email "notification" and then I posted this addendum.  This time it worked.   

User14

@User14 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@OLDYELLR  I find that the permutations and combinations of access make it difficult to figure out the cause of the looping.  If you click: "Email me when someone replies" you get a message like the one below in your email. If you click on the link "Re Signing in to the forum" you will see your (OLDYELLR) message, but if you want to reply to it, you will have to sign in. If you try at this point, you will inevitably get the jumping beans and the looping.  For me, signing in with Chrome to www.rogers.com then going to Community Forums seems to work 80% of the time.  It is ridiculous, but Bruce (BS) has indicated the problems earlier.  When will they fix it?  Good question!   

Hi User14,

Above I said "you will inevitably get the jumping beans and the looping". I was incorrect. It is still hit or miss in tying to get in.  I did try access this evening and I was able to sign in to the community forum from the link in the email "notification" and then I posted this addendum.  This time it worked.   

This is getting to be a pain.   Tried to log in to the Community Forum with Chrome at www.rogers.com and got to MyRogers data okay. But when I tried clicking on Community Forums on the bottom, I got the jumping beans continually looping again.   What is going on?  It is not like Rogers doesn't know that this is a problem. It has been months.   For the Mods reading this - When is this "logging in" problem going  to get fixed?  To post this, I had to log in with MS Edge. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something may have changed.  I can now click on the "Reply" button (while not logged in and viewing a post) and login from there using Safari. It doesn't even popup my two accounts like it used to. Perhaps they are working on fixing this - one bit at a time.  (I've done this a few times now)

I was also able to login to the forum using Safari without having to login to MyRogers first.  I've only done this a couple of times, so I'm not celebrating yet, however, this appears to be slowly moving in the right direction - either that or I was just lucky today (November 26).  Again, I didn't see the popup for my two accounts, which signals another step in the right direction.

As before, I must exit the browser for a few minutes before restarting the browser and attempting to sign in.  If I have not exited the browser since the last session, I cannot login.

I just tried Firefox and was able to get to the forum, but only if I signed into MyRogers first and used the link at the bottom of the page.  Signing into the forum directly didn't work.

We'll see what happens tomorrow...

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57  Yes, something has changed.  I too can get in by logging in via MyRogers, and then go to the link at the bottom and no issues on all browsers tonight.

I will hold my breath for now.

I never use the reply feature from outside a login, so I can't comment on that one.

If I use my bookmarked link, I still had to do backspace on Chrome, didn't try the others.

So for now, I will stick to logging into myRogers, then link to Community.

As you say, maybe they are attaching one issue at a time.  At least we can possibly comment on a stable way to get in now.  And with time, they can get the other ways to get to the forums stable on the login side - from reply as a guest, from an email notification, from a google search, or a link.

It has been a while, my patience was lost long ago on this one, but I did persist.  Hope this is a step in the right direction for this and other login issues.

Bruce

arnym21
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersRoland wrote:

we are still patiently waiting for a fix on this. For some reason, it seems to be occurring more frequently on our end.

For how long? Smiley Happy People report it for 2-3 years on this forum. Lithium says "we are hiring like crazy". May be this is the reason? Try MS Edge, it seems to login fine for me. Also, forum staff should be able to keep permanent login, even if they don't allow it to users.

arnym21
I Plan to Stick Around

While using Chrome with the forum, I noticed the latest trend: if you are kicked off after login in directly to the forum, simply reload that forum page to activate your login. Its seems to be a small sign of the devs moving in the right direction. Smiley Wink Still I believe Lithium neglects for years its current customer base by ignoring their bug and feature requests, and using forum post edit notifications and short login expiry times to artificially increase traffic stats. Instead hiring more inexperienced folks to expand their customer scope at current or lower quality level. Hence, higher pressure is due to revert Lithium attention to existing customers needs.

That's why I suggested to contact their execs directly on public forums, since this is the least they can tolerate without any action. They want constant grows figures, and suddenly someone very openly reminds them that their claims of unstoppable success are not necessarily true, so they really have to suppress such reminders promptly, because they affect bottom line in contrast with nice back end talk. Smiley Wink

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

In general, I can successfully get in on any browser now but only by doing as has been described by a few others.

Log into My Rogers, then go to the link at the bottom of the page, and then I get in.

I have successfully used the refresh or backspace on Chrome the occasional time it happens.

Now for getting in from the bookmark I used to use, or reading the forum as a guest and clicking reply, forget that, can't get in at all.

I just posted to Lithium facebook page.

Think they are getting closer to fully fixing the login issue, but not fully there.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS :  I agree.  If I go in via MyRogers and click the forums link at the bottom, I can usually get into the forum, provided I've started with a "clean" browser - meaning I've exited and restarted the browser.

Doing a "reply" as a guest or logging into the forum is hit or miss - mostly miss.  I was lucky this time as I was able to login via "reply", but could not login to the forum directly the several times I've tried in the past few days.  I'm sort of tired of experimenting, so I usually go to MyRogers to preclude disappointment.  I'm currently using Chrome mostly.

User14

@arnym21 wrote:

That's why I suggested to contact their execs directly on public forums, since this is the least they can tolerate without any action. 

I tried tweeting this problem to the CEO of Lithium   @rtarkoff    The request for help shows up on his twitter page for Nov 20 with a link to one of the Community Forum complaints.  No reply! But it is only 9 days ago. (Maybe he can't sign in to this forum?)   Smiley Wink

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My facebook post to Lithium was removed.  Hope they at least took notice of it and passed it on.  I would have just communicated it privately if they gave a way to do that. - Oops, guess I could have done it through a message.

I tried.

Bruce

arnym21
I Plan to Stick Around

User14 wrote:

I tried tweeting this problem to the CEO of Lithium   @rtarkoff    The request for help shows up on his twitter page for Nov 20 with a link to one of the Community Forum complaints.  No reply!

I see notable progress in Rogers forum login issue, slowly but surely. And they actively work on it now, despite they were ignoring user requests for years. Also I noticed, some other content posting & editing bugs were fixed along the way. So Lithium staff was given guidance to cleanup Rogers forum. Its time to draw @rtarkoff attention to frequent annoying  Post Update notifications that can't be switched off, and very short forum login time before being kicked out, without an option to Stay Logged In on the login screen. Smiley Tongue

User14

@arnym21 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

I tried tweeting this problem to the CEO of Lithium   @rtarkoff    The request for help shows up on his twitter page for Nov 20 with a link to one of the Community Forum complaints.  No reply!

@its time to draw @rtarkoff attention to frequent annoying  Post Update notifications that can't be switched off, and very short forum login time before being kicked out, without an option to Stay Logged In on the login screen. Smiley Tongue

This may be the wrong place to put this, but RogersMaude sent me this related to POST UPDATE NOTIFICATIONS.  I hope she doesn't mind the repost.  You have to click those threads you don't want to be notified by email when someone replies. I too have noticed that I can sign in more often now. I only had one event of the looping jumping beans last night.  I also think that when members get to a road block or dead end here (Level 1), they should try using @CommunityHelps to escalate the issue (Level 2).  After that, tweeting or using Facebook to the CEO of Lithium  seems to the last resort (Level 3).  

To manage your subscriptions & notifications, click on your avatar, on the top-right corner of the page and then, click on "My Subscriptions".

You should get to that page: 

Sans titre.png

You can manage which threads you want to receive notifications for.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@arnym21

Interesting and insightful observation.  Yes, the lithium guys certainly are riding a train ride with a cow catcher on the front of the train to push any obstructions out of the way (I am an old railway guy), to keep the success train going.

I understand the need by corporations to keep their positive image up, but a private communication route to both Rogers and Lithium would allow us to get our concerns forward and feel like we have some control over the valuable services that we have chosen to purchase and to voluntarily be a part of.  I like the friendly neighbour reference.

So, yes, it does create an interesting tier one, two and three communication levels that you have identified - forum - dead end - @communityhelps, work with it, request tickets, or via facebook, or twitter or other communication channels to tech support, although I would say that in my experience, that since this one is social media based, that my experience so far is that the regular support lines have little comprehension of the social media side of things, or the benefit of it.  When that doesn't work, try Lithium - as you suggest, they did respond to the tweet, and we have seen subsequent improvements.

Strange way to communicate for sure, but it seems to have had some benefits.

Bruce

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats