Signal Strength & Quality

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Signal Strength & Quality

For weeks now our "digital cable" has been so pixelated (especially in the morning) that it looks like a slide show at best. I have reset the box many times and nothing good has happened, including no picture or guide data.

This is the first time I have complained, but I know others have and with middling results.

Box: Scientific Atlanta 3200

Anyone have an idea what may be the problem beyond Rogers' placations? 

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Signal Strength & Quality

If it is doing that, it is definately a signal issue.

Now, if you havent changed anything, doesnt mean that something may have still gone to pot on its own..

its not LIKELY the box.. which is what when you call they will usualy blame first.

Call them up, and have them send a TECH out.  A tech should then check the be able to check the signal strength and multiple points.
Could be a splitter has gone inside/outside the house.  Could be cabling of some form.  They can check at the street, etc.

At min, they can eliminate an issue with any of the stuff at the HOUSE side.  From there, it could be a street issue.
We had that here, where there was a slight break in a street cable.. and caused issues only at one timefram durring the day normaly.  The tech can try to escalate it to maintenance to look at things past the street box.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hey JWBF, your area doesn't have anything to do with signal strength.  I has a lot more to do with your individual wiring, and possibly the main "drop" coming to your home from the pole out back, or the green box out front.  You can do a quick check on the diagnostics of the box to see how much strength is coming in.

Press and hold the bullseye button (middle of the up/down/left/right buttons) until the mail light flashes, then press info.

On page 1, you'll see a Tuner Spec, an FDC spec, and an RDC spec.  If these numbers are in orange, then your box is not getting a strong signal.  If the numbers are in white, then you may have an outside problem (problem may be at the main)

Either way, you may need to call in a Rogers tech to have them check everything out.

BTW, if you've added any extra tv's or splitters on the line, that could also be the cause - which you should remove to see if the problem goes away.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the responses, I'll give things a whirl.

Well, it does seem to be a signal problem, the "tuner" error stat is whack, 14182/sec adv, and after resetting the box, 26865/sec adv.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Definately does sound like something is up with those results.

Check to see if it goes back down again, as the problem comes back... how long it takes to come back, etc.

Again, worth having a technician out, they can check it all out.  I would actualy leave the box in a PROBLEM state for when they come.
SO they can check if the line is having the signal issue at the time the box is showing it.. just incase its a box issue (as it seems to clear up when the box reboots?)

I Plan to Stick Around

After some wailing and gnashing of teeth, mostly due to a sub-contracted tech not following the scientific method on friday... my venerable SA 3200 was indeed the problem.

After the tech trying to sell me stuff I remembered a neighbour offering me an SA 8300HD for perpetual tech support. I popped that on and confirmed the 3200 was dying. The HDD is fubar but it still working otherwise.

Thanks again for the assistance people.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the hdd is dead, there are guides online how to replace it 🙂

Good to hear you found what was the issue.