Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S drops devices when switching from LTE to 4G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S drops devices when switching from LTE to 4G

Hi there!

I recently got a car stereo that has wifi capabilities so I added a Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S to the car to turn it into a permanant mobile hotspot.  The car system can use internet access for navigation, traffic info and internet radio.  My son can also connect to the network using his ipod or ipad on longer trips.

The only issue I've had is that the unit drops all devices when we go from an area with LTE coverage to one that has 4G.  It requires a restart in order for devices to reconnect.

Tech support had me modify the profile so it stays on 4G to fix the problem.  That does work but it seems like a less-than-ideal solution when I have LTE access 95% of the time but am forced to stay on 4G to have a reliable connection.

Is this really expected behaviour as tech support suggests?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S drops devices when switching from LTE to 4G

Hard to say..   the car, may not be a 'supported' type of device per say for the aircard.. so they cant guarantee how it will interact with it.

Best thing i could think of.. to illiminate card vs what its plugged into... if you have a laptop, etc.. to TRY traveling the same ways where you had the dropouts before.. but with it on a laptop.. and see if the same lockups/dropouts occur.  IF they do, its definately the aircard which is causing it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks GDkitty,

I don't even need a device connected to the aircard to see that it drops the connection. It really has nothing to do with the car either since I've seen the same behavior just walking down the sidewalk in front of our house.

What I really would like to know is if the AirCard 763S is supposed to be able to transition gracefully from LTE to 4G or if it's normal to have a drop in the connection during that process.  The tech support guy suggested that it was normal behavior but I have a hard time believing that Sierra would design a mobile device that couldn't switch networks like a cell phone does.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry i didnt come bak earlier to here.. im not always in this section (its not my expertiese).

I have seen, while not all, but many people with LTE cell phones state much similar type of things.. that their data will drop for a second when switching from one to another.

Now, wether this is the DEVICE.. or how the rogers network does say a handoff between the two.. i am not sure Smiley Sad

I'm an Advisor

@Basil_Fawlty:

I have been using an Ericsson W35 RocketHub for nearly three years now.  Unlike your Sierra Wireless AirCard, the W35 is "old-school" and requires only 3G cellular connectivity to maintain an Internet connection.

When I began using the W35 I had all kinds of problems maintaining Internet connectivity.  I came to understand them, and resolved some of them, one by one.

I had problems because of Windows Vista's handling of dhcp.  This I fixed by applying a patch supplied by Microsoft.  This, in hindsight was clearly not an Internet or Rogers problem.

I had problems because of weak cellular signal strength.  This I fixed by using an external antenna to boost signal strength at the W35.

And then there were the "other" Internet connectivity problems which I came to know and recognize over time.  As a result of discussions with other Rogers customers who I met as a result of interactions on this Forum, as well as some pretty basic data I gathered, I came to some useful conclusions on these problems as well.  These Internet connectivity problems were, I concluded, caused by overloading problems within the Roger Cellular Network.

I had over the more than twenty years that I had Internet access, used dial-up, DSL and my employer's corporate dedicated network connection.  Each of these had their own features and issues, but by and large they were dependable and reliable.

Then I bought the Rogers W35 RocketHub.  Unfortunately, the RocketHub and the Rogers cellular network on which it depends, were in my experience not nearly as reliable as any of the previous Internet connection methods I had used.  My Internet connection speeds were basically unreliable and not very good.  The Internet connections dropped for unexplained reasons, reasons, the cause of which, always seem mysterious.  And the monthly costs were higher than any other Internet connection method which I had used previously.

My conclusion, built up over my three years of use of my RocketHub, is that Internet access using the Rogers cellular network is basically an expensive crap shoot.  If  you happen to connect to a network cell that is heavily loaded, you will have problems at peak traffic times.  In general, your Internet upload and download speeds are not predictable.

Perhaps again this is because of the variability of the local cell's traffic load.  Perhaps your experiences show that there are a few other bugs in the system when it comes to switching between cellular 4G and LTE network modes.

And, as data traffic on the Rogers cellular network is constantly growing as more and more smart phones are put in use, this problem is constantly expanding.

skinorth