cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of Rogers

amelia66
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Blackberry Torch, and I have had it just over 1 year. The touch trackball only works half the time, and the touch screen stopped working all together. To make matter worse, whenever I recieve a text message in the past month, the phone reboots. Today, after recieving a text message and having it do its reboot thing, it won't turn back on. The red LED light appears for a few seconds, then goes off, and repeats every few minutes. Why is it that you sign a 3 year term, fo ra phone that lasts less than 2? I took the phone over to the Rogers store, to be told I have to pay over $500 to get the same model off phone I have now. So another $500 on top of what I bought it for, and what I pay monthly, to have an old, out dated, that may have the same problems. I am not at all happy with the phone and service I have with Rogers, nor am I happy with the way the store handled it. Telling me to not buy a blackberry, or to go to Kijiji and buy a used one and just plug in the SIM card. That is not my definition of customer service. At this point, it costs LESS money to cancel my contract with Rogers then it does to get another phone. And doing it that way, I can move over to Bell and get there new customer deal where I can get an updated phone that works for nothing.

****Edited Labels****

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sick of Rogers

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello amelia66

If the phone does not have warranty left, Rogers can repair it BUT it will cost a lot for them to repair it. Its best just to buy another phone threw Kijiji or another cellphone store. This is the policy every carrier has around the world. Bell has the same policy, if your phone is out of warranty, they will not be able to replace it / repair it for free. They will make you pay for the repair / replacement. Please understand that & it even says it in the manuals in the box of the phone. All Manufacturers say this as well, not only carriers.

Rogers does have a program where they can replace a phone BUT it may not be the same as yours, they do have a few blackberries but they range from $150-300. Call & ask for the " Out of Warranty program".

As for the phone not lasting on a 3 year term, this is NOT Rogers fault. Rogers does NOT built the phones. They are just the carrier. You may want to speak to RIM or the Manufacturer about that as they are the ones building the phones..

As for what the store said, they should not say " Do not buy a blackberry" Because that can cause many issues for that rep & the store. They do have the right tho to tell a customer " If the phone is out of warranty, the only option is buying one online threw Kijiji or do a upgrade & pay the upgrade fee"

I have had this issue & i just bought a used phone. Many phones on Kijiji do not cost as much & you can find a cheap phone for a less amount.

All in all, every carrier has this policy & even Bell does. No matter what, the carrier is not respoinsible to fix the phone free of charge after the warranty ends. This is the policy the Manufactor & carrier makes together.
Remember, the manufactor is the one adding the 1 year warranty on it, not the carrier.

amelia66
I've Been Here Awhile

My problem is, Rogers did not mention the out of warranty program. The only solution they had was "Don't buy a blackberry" or "Buy through Kijiji" I also don't think the cost to replace a phone that is now outdated, should be $500+.  I am done dealing with Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello amelia66

This is not done by the store. The only way to get this program is by calling Rogers & asking for it over the phone. The call centers only have this option. I do agree tho, the store rep should have notified you about this.

Actually, a few blackberries they have on the program are less then $300 & they are brand new. Does not matter if its outdated or not, its still a device you are able to make calls / text & email.
Anyways those are your only options i am afriad. Like i said, every carrier has this & when you go to Bell, you will see it as well once the warranty is done on the device, they will make you buy a new phone full price OR you may have to pay the upgrade fee.

Question about that, are you not able to upgrade to a new phone?

Oh btw, the store will say that amount for the device because they are trying to make money. So i would not believe them on it.The blackberry torch may be $500 at Rogers, but you can find it new for little over $300 on Kijiji or any cellphone store. The out of warranty program has that device somewhere around $300 i believe.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
dont be mad that they never offered u the lost and stolen program, sometimes its better to go to a Fli market and pick up a cheap or used inexpensive black berry from the Fli market, and slap in your sim card and start using that phone right away. one benefit is that you will not be forced to renew your contract, where the lost and stolen program im pretty sure they renew you for atleast 2 more years, your better off just keeping your contract, wait it out and use a used phone in the mean time, why sign up again when u could buy a used one which will last you a good couple months to a year then u can use your upgrade and get a nice phone may be 1-2 years later, u probably wont get to do this if u use up the lost/stolen program, it might take u longer so why waste it on that?

MS3
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree! ROGERS SUCKS. Customer Service SUCKS, prices SUCK, everything about the complany SUCKS.

The only problem is we dont have many other options for quality service. Bell isnt always available in all areas (cable/satellite). The discount brands like wind or mobiliicity....dont even bother. You would be lucky to even get a signal.

Unfortunately Rogers is the only viable option for most, and they know that, so they will continue to overcharge and mistreat their customers as much as they want. Too many bad experiences with this company. If I had another choice, Id be GONE IN A SECOND

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

When you have Nextbox as a total disaster, D3 modems that in no way, shape or form live up to their advertising, and cell phone plans that are through the roof, and no viable alternative, it is indeed, a sad state of affairs! I know how you feel!

BobM1007
I've Been Here Awhile

My wife and I both have new BB Bold 9900 and both of us have faulty keyboards. it is very frustrating to use them especially given they were only purchased in Dec 2012. Sure they are under warranty and if we can give Rogers the phones for 6 weeks they will send it back for warranty service. Tough that Rogers still will charge for the use of the phones for the time the phones are not available to be used.

"Oh they have a replacement phone service for when they send phones away on warranty."

"Oh so sorry, but there are no loaner phones available."

"Try again later and see if some become available."

This is called Rogers version of customer service. No onus on the supplier of the service, totally on the consumer to take care of themselves. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello BobM1007

Did you try going to another Rogers store and seen if they had loner phones. They charge u a $50 deposit when getting a loaner phone. This goes with most of the carriers. They do this just incase u damage the phone.

They will still charge u tho for the service. This again goes with most carriers. They won't shut off the service and turn it back on without a charge. Even when going on vacation, when putting your line on suspension, they charge ur monthly bill

BobM1007
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your response.

I would have no problem in putting a deposit on a loader phone. The issue is tryign to get one, . It didnot even have to be a Blackberry, it could have been any model. Paying for the wireless service when no phone is available while not even having replacement/loaner phones is extremely ridiculous. And Yes I know I sound frustrated  mainly because I am.

So I send an email to the CRTC knowing full well that it will get lost and serve very little purpose

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello BobM1007

I have been on your situation and fully understand! I rather have Rogers suspend the line with lets say $25-30 a month instead of paying the whole service. All that store rep should have done was contact another Rogers store and see if they had any in Stock. If they did, they would have told u to go to that store. Sadly reps are known to do this and not help.

The CRTC will reply but may not do much. They will just say contact Rogers or it says all this on the contact which is does.
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 in conversation