cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

GruntledUser
I've Been Around

Like the subject suggests, I am sick and tired of Roger's home Internet service busting on me every half 'n hour. I didn't have practically any Internet connection since last night. It momemtarily comes up once in a while, only to drop again. I know there's no problem with my home network as it was working even the day before. Is anyone else experiencing this frustration? It happened last week as well! After talking to the Rogers support, I realized they are just a bunch of no-good service reps who either don't have any clue as to what maintanance/outages Rogers is having, or refuse to admit it. Their only response was, "make sure the you plugged in the power cord and your modem is turned on!" Even my 90-something grandma knows more than that!

***edited labels***

39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Is it a wireless connection that keeps dropping? Are you using one of the Rogers D3 gateway modems? Dropped connections are extremely common on the D3 gateway modems. The router with these units is garbage. The solution of choice is to have the modem set up in bridge mode and then use your own router. The CSRs are clueless because there really is no fix other than Rogers coming to their senses and providing a decent stand alone modem.

OldWornMan
I've Been Around

I've had excellent service for a number of years now with absolutely no issues..... UNTIL a few days ago and now have chronic DNS outages.  It is very frustrating. 

I'm a senior application architect wih a plethora of knowlege in the tech industry having worked in the industry for almost 20 years now (extensively with networks and software) and I'm no idiot when it comes to these types of issues. 

Rogers, PLEASE, at minimum ALERT your customers of potential outages if you are doing any network diversions, balancing or restructuring with a timeline of when service will resume back to normal.

I'm sure this is all it is (giving Rogers the benefit of the doubt for the moment).  Given our dependance on internet connectivity nowadays, we have reached a new level of expectations from our internet providers -- Zero downtime is expected and we should have more quality feedback from Rogers when something as big as this occurs.  Redundancy and contingency strategies should always be adopted if there is any risk to connectivity, and at the very least as noted earlier, communicate to your customers of potential outages with a timeline!

Hi everybody, I've been having some Internet issues with Rogers for a long time. I thought that it would go away, but it's been a couple months and I am still encountering this problem.

Every thirty minutes or so, my Internet connection will stop momentarily and stay out for about a minute or so. When I'm playing video games, it disrupts the connection entirely and drops me from the game and for some reason I am unable to return.

My router is a D-Link, DIR-815 and my modem is a Motorola, SB5100.

In addition, an ethernet cable connected to both the router or the modem will not provide any Internet connection, but will register as "connected". I am confident that neither problem is an issue with my laptop, as other members in this household encounter this problem and I experience no ethernet/wireless problems at other locations, some of which do run on Rogers. 

I would be very appreciative if anyone could help me, because this issue is becoming extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Durring this outage every 30 mins.. is there anything else going on at that time? (TV, do you have the home phone and a call comming in, etc?).
Did you move the modem, etc.. add any splitters, etc?

Just trying to narrow down any possibilities.

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

This was happening to me with my D-Link 600-series router. After a couple of years with no trouble, suddenly any device connected (desktop, laptop, tablet, e-reader and two cellphones) would be dropped from the Internet after about 20 minutes. Win7 would report that the connection was up, but there was no internet service available.

I immediately suspected Rogers, because after many years of being a Rogers customer and many issues with the service, it's always proven to be at their end. However, I realized that my Vonage VOIP adapter, connected between the modem and the router, continued to work fine. I took the plunge and bought the top-of-the-line Linksys E4200 router, and everthing's been fine ever since. My best guess is that the D-Link was overheating and suffering a circuitboard failure after the 20 minutes.

The take-away is that once in a while it's not Rogers' fault. Check your own equipment first.

That is true.. a good interim check.. would be to connect a PC directly the modem and run it that way.. see if you get the same dropout.

In the last year.. i have replace a 600 series dlink router at my house, my mothers house, and in the break room at work.. all 3 of them were failing.

shum99
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been with Rogers for over ten years. Now I am very disappointed with Rogers' service.

My internet started to be on and off all the time recently. I called Rogers a few times and it didn't help. The technician came over and checked but everything was fine at that time. After he left it started to drop again. Then I called Rogers again, I was told that the technician only available  three days later.

I thought my Modem was not good and then I went to retail store and rented a new one. But it is same. Every half an hour to one hour it drops. Later on, I figured out whenever it dropped, I need to re-plug in the cable and it works fine. So, I thought maybe the cable in my room is the problem. I changed to another cable, it is same, half hour to one hour it drops for sure. I can't re-plug it all day along. It drives me nuts. I even skip the 'Cable spilt' and try the cable right from the basement. Guess what? It is still same.Whenever I call Rogers, I am told that my neighbours all fine, it is just my house. But the technician came and checked everything inside and outside the house and told me everything was good. I don't know what else I can do other than cancelling it.

If I change to another provider, will they use the same cable? I am not sure what the problem is now. If I switch to DSL and get rid of the cable, it will be fine?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That if its droping fairly regularily like that.. its LESS likely a signal issue, etc.

(started off thinking it could be a more street /time of day issue.. but not if its that much consistant)

Now when you are saying re-plug the cable.. is this the cable INTO the modem?  The network cable to the PC?  Are you rebooting the modem or just doing the unpluging.
Have you swaped the cable from the modem to the PC?

IF you were to switch providers.. you would need to check with WHO you are going with.  DSL goes over the phone lines (but often is much slower speeds down/up than cable).
Another provider, over the cable... if its something signal wise or something in the end, could have the exact same problem.
(if its not say a back end issue, etc).

shum99
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, when I say re-plug the cable, I mean the cable into the modem. Power off the modem doesn't help at all. I don't need to power off, just take off the cable and put back. Sometimes, just screw it looser or tighter then the signal is back. Since both the new modem and old modem behave same, I don't think it is the modem issue. And I have changed to new cable with new split and it is still same. I doubt it is the cable itself. At night, it can stay till 3-4 hours (9pm - 12pm) and then drops at the midnight. Rogers told me the whole street is fine. Then it must be my house. I didn't change any configuration for a long time. Can't be my settings' problem.Having a slow constant DSL internet is better than on/off all day long.

I didn't try to swape the cable from the modem to the PC. Can I plug the cable right into the laptop or PC? I didn't know that.

Another technician will come over tomorrow and I will have him sit till my internet goes down.

Just for the heck of it, can you log into your modem and copy and paste the DOCSIS WAN Signal to noise ratios, signal levels and channel numbers for both the downstream and upstream signals.  Do that for when your internet is up and running and then when the internet goes down, do it again. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shum99 wrote:

Yes, when I say re-plug the cable, I mean the cable into the modem. Power off the modem doesn't help at all. I don't need to power off, just take off the cable and put back. Sometimes, just screw it looser or tighter then the signal is back. Since both the new modem and old modem behave same, I don't think it is the modem issue. And I have changed to new cable with new split and it is still same. I doubt it is the cable itself. At night, it can stay till 3-4 hours (9pm - 12pm) and then drops at the midnight. Rogers told me the whole street is fine. Then it must be my house. I didn't change any configuration for a long time. Can't be my settings' problem.Having a slow constant DSL internet is better than on/off all day long.

I didn't try to swape the cable from the modem to the PC. Can I plug the cable right into the laptop or PC? I didn't know that.

Another technician will come over tomorrow and I will have him sit till my internet goes down.

If, all that you are doing, is removing the cable connection from the wall to the modem... that is forcing it to re-establish a connection... its very unlikely a modem issue directly.. and more signal/what is getting to that box.

As datalink sugested... showing the modem channels when its up/down.. may show that its not being able to keep those channels bonded/in communication.

It might still be an overall street issue, etc.. not necessarily just your house.. it just doesnt become evident until under a certain load, etc.

If it was YOU that put a splitter in, etc.. that could be part of it.. as not all splitters are at the right ratings for the signal, etc.

Hopefully the next tech, can figure it out.

Brewster
I've Been Here Awhile

NEVER had connectivity issues until recently (last 3-4 months).

Your theories are sound...something has changed.

Switching out the modem hasn't rectified the issue.

Step two is to contact them directly.

I'm not looking forward to that call.

Personally I wouldn't call them until your internet service has failed.  At that point, if tech support can't communicate with or manage the modem, that at least proves to some degree that a problem exists.  It could be the cable leading to your house, or it could be something further upstream.  It can be extremely difficult to track down an intermittant problem, so, troubleshooting with tech support at the right moment is important.  Having tech support or an onsite tech look at everything when all is okay doesn't do much to solve the problem and probably adds to your frustration with the situation.  Do you happen to have a Rogers home phone or cable tv, and if so, what happens to the phone or tv when the internet service goes down?

If you log into your modem and look at the DOCSIS WAN signal levels and signal to noise ratios, you should see, on the Downstream channels, 0 dBmV for received signal strength and 40 dB for signal to noise ratios.  On the upstream channels, you should see a signal strength of approx 37 to 40 dBmV.  I am still interested in seeing that data for your modem for all channels, just to see what the numbers look like, normally and when the internet service fails.  That will also tell us if there is a channel bonding problem. 

shum99
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you guys for the replies. I have been trying all different combinations tonight to figure out the problem without luck. The weird thing is if I move the modem to downstairs living room with the tv cable in, the lights are always solid even when the internet dropped. It becomes more frequently now, like 10 minutes. I have to write everything first and then post it here when Internet is on.

I have rogers tv as well. TV is always fine even when Internet dropped. I am exhausted. I will post my connectivity data tmr. If the tech can't figure it out tmr, I will go for bell. I know bell doesn't share bandwidth with neighbours and has its own cables. But I have contract with Rogers, not sure if I get penalty for this situation.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
TV, phone and net while come in on the same cable, are on different frequencies, so one can be effected and not the other.

That you get different results in a different outlet, almost makes me really think its a signal related.
Not enough or too much signal can effect things. (Eg putting off a wall connection which has a cable power booster off of it)

A 'shared' connection is not your issue here. Now a days, with the d3 modems and especially with the up to 24 channels, congestion should be non existent.

@shum99 wrote:

I have rogers tv as well. TV is always fine even when Internet dropped. I am exhausted. I will post my connectivity data tmr. If the tech can't figure it out tmr, I will go for bell. I know bell doesn't share bandwidth with neighbours and has its own cables. But I have contract with Rogers, not sure if I get penalty for this situation.

That makes me laugh. Bell may have its own cables, but DSL traditionally has been extremely sensitive to i) cable length, and ii) cable quality. And if either is bad, it can't be fixed.

Then again, maybe I am still unimpressed that 15 years ago, when the DSL at my parents' house started getting flakier as the weather got warmer, Bell literally said 'your distance to the CO is too high, we can't fix this, go and sign up with Rogers.'

Then my aunt had DSL a few years later in downtown Montreal, it worked fine. She moves to a smaller town, Bell tells her it's available, but it was ridiculously moody (and slow when working). My late uncle called up Cogeco and basically begged to be the first house connected when they finally launched cable Internet in that area...

At least with Rogers, I have never heard of a physical plant problem that was unfixable. Yes, it may take a bit of aggravation to get the big red Rogers vans (rather than the subcontractors) to turn up, but once they do, the problem eventually gets fixed.

shum99
I've Been Here Awhile
Just an update. Issue seems to be fixed. This morning my internet was totally gone regardless what I did which made the issue obvious to detect. This tech is good. We checked everything line by line, room by room. He replaced everything that could lead to the problem. Then.... Modem started be on and off again...finally, he traced down to the box outside of my house. The signal is always good whenever he measured it but inside it kept dropping. Finally he replaced the connector on that cable outside of the house and it works so far so good. My guess is whenever he put the cable into his machine to measure it is like my re-plug my modem which made it work a few minutes. Any movement around that cable made the difference. The only thing still mysterious to me is no one ever opened that box before and it is a new house just 2 years and how could the connector broken so soon? Thank you guys for all the replies. I really appreciate.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Excessive moisture in the air, corroded it early.?
More than likely, could have been a spike of power across the line, fried it.

The one out there, is usually grounded to the elec box, so if it got hit it wouldn't likely have traveled inside the house.

rrosen
I've Been Around

I've been having issues over the past month and they've only been getting worse. Constantly the connection will drop/go off and on, off and on, off and on. 

I took my SMC modem/router into Rogers this past weekend and they gave me a new one (a Cisco). But that didn't do anything. 

It's been getting worse every few days. It's come to the point where the Wi-Fi doesn't work AT ALL during the day. Then, up until aroud 3-4pm in the afternoon it might work. But only for 20-30 minutes if I'm lucky. Then it will stop working for another half hour to an hour. This goes on late into the night.. But by midnight it's working flawlessly! Makes no sense and it's beyond frustrating. I should point out that I'm the only one in the house using the internet, with the occasional connection from someone else (friend or family member). 

What could possibly be the problem!? 

Hi, here are a few questions for you.  Hopefully with a little more info, we can figure out what the problem is. 

1.  Does your wired connection exhibit the same issue?  If so, my best bet would be a loss of signal issue with the cable coming into your home.  More to follow below…

2.  Have you tried to look at the wireless network to see if you are experiencing an interference issue with your neighbors?  Here is a link to a freebie version of inSSIDer 3.1.2.1   http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html   This program will allow you to look at the wireless networks that may be interfering with your own network.  Maybe one of your neighbors has set up a wireless network that interferes with yours during certain hours of the day.  This program will help sort that out.  When you have it up and running, look for your own network in the 2.4 Ghz network display and look for any overlapping networks from your neighbors.  Note that the latest version of this has become a pay program with 802.11ac capability.  It’s possible that a channel change might solve the problem.  If you come to the conclusion that there are a great number of 2.4 Ghz routers around your location, although it only takes one close one to create a problem, maybe it is time to think of acquiring a router with better 2.4 Ghz wireless performance, or it may be time to make the leap to a dual band router and make use of the 5Ghz network.  That will depend of course on whether or not your laptop and other devices can make use of a 5 Ghz network.   For example, in my area there are probably around 20 or more 2.4 Ghz networks running.  In the 5Ghz band, there is only our router which I can see running.  So there is no interference at all at this time. 

3.  Ok, so much for the wireless side.  On the wired side you could have a problem with a connection inside the house, or with a connection or cable on the outside.  The easy way to determine that is to log into the modem and select the bottom Status tab on the left hand side.  Your modem has 4 channels down and 4 up, although I suspect that only 3 of 4 will be running for the Upstream channel.  Typically you should probably see 0 dBmV for Downstream power and a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) of 37 to 40 Db.  If you have an issue with overall low signal power due to a bad connection or cable, the Downstream power will be greatly reduced.  It will show somewhere below -3 dBmV.  On the upstream side, I think you should probably see around 40 dBmV, although the manual shows 50.  Can you have a look at those numbers and post them in here.  I would like to see what they are when the modem is up and running normally, and when the service is completely down.  If there is any question on your signal power, for example the numbers are greatly below 0 dBmV for the downstream or greatly in excess of 40 to 50 dBmV for the upstream at all times, call tech support to have a look at them.  When the service drops out completely I would definitely call so that the support tech can start to determine if the problem is with the cable into your house or further upstream.    

4.  Do you also have a homephone and / or Rogers Cable tv?  Although they run on different frequencies, what happens to them when your internet drops out?