Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GruntledUser
I've Been Around

Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

Like the subject suggests, I am sick and tired of Roger's home Internet service busting on me every half 'n hour. I didn't have practically any Internet connection since last night. It momemtarily comes up once in a while, only to drop again. I know there's no problem with my home network as it was working even the day before. Is anyone else experiencing this frustration? It happened last week as well! After talking to the Rogers support, I realized they are just a bunch of no-good service reps who either don't have any clue as to what maintanance/outages Rogers is having, or refuse to admit it. Their only response was, "make sure the you plugged in the power cord and your modem is turned on!" Even my 90-something grandma knows more than that!

***edited labels***

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

Is it a wireless connection that keeps dropping? Are you using one of the Rogers D3 gateway modems? Dropped connections are extremely common on the D3 gateway modems. The router with these units is garbage. The solution of choice is to have the modem set up in bridge mode and then use your own router. The CSRs are clueless because there really is no fix other than Rogers coming to their senses and providing a decent stand alone modem.

OldWornMan
I've Been Around

I've had excellent service for a number of years now with absolutely no issues..... UNTIL a few days ago and now have chronic DNS outages.  It is very frustrating. 

I'm a senior application architect wih a plethora of knowlege in the tech industry having worked in the industry for almost 20 years now (extensively with networks and software) and I'm no idiot when it comes to these types of issues. 

Rogers, PLEASE, at minimum ALERT your customers of potential outages if you are doing any network diversions, balancing or restructuring with a timeline of when service will resume back to normal.

I'm sure this is all it is (giving Rogers the benefit of the doubt for the moment).  Given our dependance on internet connectivity nowadays, we have reached a new level of expectations from our internet providers -- Zero downtime is expected and we should have more quality feedback from Rogers when something as big as this occurs.  Redundancy and contingency strategies should always be adopted if there is any risk to connectivity, and at the very least as noted earlier, communicate to your customers of potential outages with a timeline!

onlymatthew
I've Been Around

Hi everybody, I've been having some Internet issues with Rogers for a long time. I thought that it would go away, but it's been a couple months and I am still encountering this problem.

Every thirty minutes or so, my Internet connection will stop momentarily and stay out for about a minute or so. When I'm playing video games, it disrupts the connection entirely and drops me from the game and for some reason I am unable to return.

My router is a D-Link, DIR-815 and my modem is a Motorola, SB5100.

In addition, an ethernet cable connected to both the router or the modem will not provide any Internet connection, but will register as "connected". I am confident that neither problem is an issue with my laptop, as other members in this household encounter this problem and I experience no ethernet/wireless problems at other locations, some of which do run on Rogers. 

I would be very appreciative if anyone could help me, because this issue is becoming extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Durring this outage every 30 mins.. is there anything else going on at that time? (TV, do you have the home phone and a call comming in, etc?).
Did you move the modem, etc.. add any splitters, etc?

Just trying to narrow down any possibilities.

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

This was happening to me with my D-Link 600-series router. After a couple of years with no trouble, suddenly any device connected (desktop, laptop, tablet, e-reader and two cellphones) would be dropped from the Internet after about 20 minutes. Win7 would report that the connection was up, but there was no internet service available.

I immediately suspected Rogers, because after many years of being a Rogers customer and many issues with the service, it's always proven to be at their end. However, I realized that my Vonage VOIP adapter, connected between the modem and the router, continued to work fine. I took the plunge and bought the top-of-the-line Linksys E4200 router, and everthing's been fine ever since. My best guess is that the D-Link was overheating and suffering a circuitboard failure after the 20 minutes.

The take-away is that once in a while it's not Rogers' fault. Check your own equipment first.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is true.. a good interim check.. would be to connect a PC directly the modem and run it that way.. see if you get the same dropout.

In the last year.. i have replace a 600 series dlink router at my house, my mothers house, and in the break room at work.. all 3 of them were failing.

shum99
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been with Rogers for over ten years. Now I am very disappointed with Rogers' service.

My internet started to be on and off all the time recently. I called Rogers a few times and it didn't help. The technician came over and checked but everything was fine at that time. After he left it started to drop again. Then I called Rogers again, I was told that the technician only available  three days later.

I thought my Modem was not good and then I went to retail store and rented a new one. But it is same. Every half an hour to one hour it drops. Later on, I figured out whenever it dropped, I need to re-plug in the cable and it works fine. So, I thought maybe the cable in my room is the problem. I changed to another cable, it is same, half hour to one hour it drops for sure. I can't re-plug it all day along. It drives me nuts. I even skip the 'Cable spilt' and try the cable right from the basement. Guess what? It is still same.Whenever I call Rogers, I am told that my neighbours all fine, it is just my house. But the technician came and checked everything inside and outside the house and told me everything was good. I don't know what else I can do other than cancelling it.

If I change to another provider, will they use the same cable? I am not sure what the problem is now. If I switch to DSL and get rid of the cable, it will be fine?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That if its droping fairly regularily like that.. its LESS likely a signal issue, etc.

(started off thinking it could be a more street /time of day issue.. but not if its that much consistant)

Now when you are saying re-plug the cable.. is this the cable INTO the modem?  The network cable to the PC?  Are you rebooting the modem or just doing the unpluging.
Have you swaped the cable from the modem to the PC?

IF you were to switch providers.. you would need to check with WHO you are going with.  DSL goes over the phone lines (but often is much slower speeds down/up than cable).
Another provider, over the cable... if its something signal wise or something in the end, could have the exact same problem.
(if its not say a back end issue, etc).

shum99
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, when I say re-plug the cable, I mean the cable into the modem. Power off the modem doesn't help at all. I don't need to power off, just take off the cable and put back. Sometimes, just screw it looser or tighter then the signal is back. Since both the new modem and old modem behave same, I don't think it is the modem issue. And I have changed to new cable with new split and it is still same. I doubt it is the cable itself. At night, it can stay till 3-4 hours (9pm - 12pm) and then drops at the midnight. Rogers told me the whole street is fine. Then it must be my house. I didn't change any configuration for a long time. Can't be my settings' problem.Having a slow constant DSL internet is better than on/off all day long.

I didn't try to swape the cable from the modem to the PC. Can I plug the cable right into the laptop or PC? I didn't know that.

Another technician will come over tomorrow and I will have him sit till my internet goes down.