Shows getting cut off when recording them

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Shows getting cut off when recording them

I was wondering why shows always get cut off when I use the guide to schedule a recording on the PVR. I miss the last minute of shows i recorded.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Shows getting cut off when recording them

This is a ploy by the stations to try to get you to watch live and watch their commercials.. Unfortunately they extend the shows or start them early in order for you to miss record the start or end of the show.. The best way to fix this is to just edit the recording times to add a minute or 2 to the start and end of the shows..

Maybe one day rogers will update the software to be like a tivo which already adds the buffer.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@computel There's nothing wrong with your PVR or the way you are using it. I noticed this issue too when recording some programs. Some stations start the shows a minute or so later, I'm guessing, so that people who want to watch the shows "live" have a little bit of leeway to get settled in. However, the PVR goes by the time on the box (network time) so if you program something to record from 8:00-8:30, it's going to cut off right at 8:30 regardless of whether the show is finished or not. The best way to correct this, as Chris said, is to change the recording time so that it goes a minute or 2 later. You can do this when setting up your recording schedule by changing the end time to a few minutes after the default time.

@Chris Thanks for your help.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It would be nice if the PVR guide used the information that is found in the Zap2It program guide rather than the TV Guide listings.  The Zap2It guide has more accurate start/stop times based upon the actual running time.  For example, it knows if a program, like Big Bang Theory, is scheduled to run from 8:00-8:31.  If the PVR used that, it would be much better.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Adding a minute to the end of the show works.  (Though you have to also subtract a minute from the beginning of the following show if you're also recording something else, to avoid the dreaded attempt to record 3 shows.)

Here's the problem.  You have to redo this every time, i.e., if you say All Episodes, it's accepted for the first, but reverts to the basic 1/2 hr slot next time.

Example: 2 1/2 Men 9:00-9:31, Mike & Molly 9:31-10:00.  All Episodes.  Come Monday, it's recorded that way.  Next day, look at the Recording Schedule for the next Monday.  It's back to 9:00-9:30; 9:30-10:00.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@JEL

One of the nice things about the new firmware update is that you do not have to do it every time. I have added a minute to 2 1/2 Men and it now remains set from week to week without having to change it every week!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Excellent  news!  Thanks!  But I still look forward to the listings to be accurate to the minute.