cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

jjjjy7
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I currently have Digital VIP cable (I was grandfathered), CRAVE, Hollywood Suite, all the time shifting channels and Internet 150u with mesh network.  I am paying $150 per month.  My contract ends very soon and despite my best efforts, I can't get anywhere near that price for a new contract and would have to shift to the Premier package as they won't allow me to continue with VIP.  Rogers is offering me free installation for ignite and 1g internet for about the same price I would be paying if I stayed with Digital cable.  My question:  given the troubles that so many are having with Ignite, should I make the switch?

*** Added Labels *** 

279 REPLIES 279

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ang10 wrote:
It's horrible. And the guide options are awful you can't see if anything is recording on the box. The Flex channels, should be able to pick any that I want, should not have to pay for extra. Cant see call display, so many random calls at my home. Nothing positive to say. Slow at times switching channels, freezes on channels, not impressed.

I agree, they really need to work on the Call Display part, thats one thing I am major missing from  the previous. 
I THINK that Comcast does have this feature available on their boxes (who rogers have bought the technology from), so it should be something they cant activate here.

I know channel changes do take a second or so longer than on digital.
This is due to the nature of how the tech works.   On cable, most of all the channels were being pushed to the box all at one time, live.   With this, the channel change has to start a new stream for the new channel.  But really shouldnt take more than 1.5 seconds maybe?  If it is, something else is going on.
That you say you have FREEZING on channels as well, its most likely you are having a signal issue to the box itself, or that there is something else up on the internet itself, causing the slow downs.    Since the TV is internet based, if there is any problems there, it will cause issues on the TV as well.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

@Jaxxxon wrote:

I completely agree.  I have FAR FEWER stations, and the on demand library is gone.  I had this installed this week, and called to complain today, and to see what else they can offer.  Nothing.

Compared to some of the older packages on digital, vs the newer ones in Ignite, dont always line up 1:1.
So depending on what package you chose, might have less channels.  You might need to change packages.

But generally, ALL the channels should be available in some form.

Only thing that I am pretty sure you cant get on the ignite, are the Stingray music channels.

I think that depends on the package that you had on Digital.  Premier on Ignite is pretty much the same as what was available on Digital Cable.  However, the lower tier packages are now quite different.  If you switched from any Digital package to Flex 20 + Sports on Ignite, you would notice many missing channels.

Stingray, it is available on Ignite.  It's included with Premier and available in a Theme Pack with other packages.  However, Ignite TV does not carry any Radio channels.

Also, back in July, Rogers removed the US networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, etc.) from all Ignite bundles but they are still available by subscribing to the Prime Time theme pack.

As with Digital, you only get access to On-Demand content for the channels that you subscribe to.  If you no longer get a particular channel, you will also lose access to that On-Demand content as well.

englishsetters
I Plan to Stick Around

please remember whether or not you are dealing with an online chat, a technician or in my case, the presidents office, that they represent rogers but they are not rogers.  I've been using rogers for over 35 years and without fail, not a year goes by when there arent major problems, as well as gouging prices.  The poor frontline staff take the brunt of peoples dissatisfaction, and yes, anger that should be directed to the company.  This comes from the feds shutting down any competition in the industry.  Poor service, too bad!  Highest prices in the world?  again suck it up.  The CRTC used to be able to help deal with this but trudeau/otoole/singh have changed its mandate so it only helps rogers/bell/telus.  The CCTS which was set up to help consumers against the big operators, has also had its mandate changed to the benefit of the telecoms. And cnds are fine with all that.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been a little active on this thread and finally moved to IgniteTV about a month ago, so I thought I would add my experiences so far. We ended up moving to IgniteTV primarily because Rogers were pricing us out of our old digital cable service.

Some background, we have had digital cable for a while and were generally happy with it. The PVR boxes were ok, although the drives in them were a little noisy and would break down every 18 months or so, but other than that they operated fine and only occasionally needed a restart. I also had a Hitron modem in bridged mode and used my own Asus router for wifi and gateway functions, although I had to run an old router as a wireless access point in one part of the house to give us network coverage in the backyard. Also, we use another provider for VOIP so we didn’t need to setup Rogers Phone at all.

Ignite Setup

Overall, setup was very straightforward. I put the new Ignite modem in the same place the old Asus router was, as that was pretty central in the house. It is wise to re-use the same SSID and password of your previous setup to avoid reconfiguring all your wifi devices. I also used a different network address range which I kept, as I had static links configured on some devices in house. But in all, it took about 20 mins to get the modem activated, running and configured how I wanted it.

The Ignite TV boxes were even easier. I am fortunate to have ethernet cabling in some of the house and in particular where the TV boxes were going to go. So I just plugged them in, paired the remotes and done. Less than five minutes each.

Impressions so far

So pretty happy with the network and WiFi coverage. No one has complained about dropped connections as yet, and I have only rebooted the modem once because I chose to, to try something out. I also went to the end of the back yard and was still able to get a wifi signal, so that is nice.

The IgniteTV seems pretty good too. I think someone on another thread said it is different to digital cable and so can take a little getting used to, and I think that is true. I do find that some of the buttons on the remote don’t protrude enough though and some of them need to be pressed quite hard. Maybe they will loosen up over time, or I will get used to it? I mainly watch recorded or recording hockey, and the picture has been great, as good as the digital cable box, and I have not experienced any lag in changing channels, or any synchronisation issues between audio and video. The only thing I have witnessed is a couple of times the stream has frozen for about five or ten seconds, but carries on afterward. But with digital cable I would get the occasional freeze or pixelation.

Issues

Although generally the experience has been pretty positive, I have had a couple of issues, one of them resolved by a workaround.

Network devices and Google Home - I have a number of network plugs, and we found that one of them would no longer respond to the command. This was used to turn on and off a lamp, but it had reverted to an “outlet” in Google Home rather than being a “light”, and so Google home would not respond when saying “lights on/off”. After a bit of messing around it was a simple fix. It is possible that this was nothing to do with the new Ignite modem, but the fact that it stopped working immediately after would suggest that something about the new modem triggered it to revert.

Band steering and Google Home minis - this issue has been discussed elsewhere on the forums. It appears that the Google Home mini (and older Chromecast) only use the 2.4GHz network, and to configure them you have to use a device on the same network. The solution is to give your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different names and then you can ensure you get on the 2.4GHz with your phone to configure the devices. Once done you can give the networks the same name again. That is fine if you just want to use the devices in an assistant only capacity, but it doesn’t work if you want to cast to the devices (which we do a lot here). You have to leave the network names different and so you end up with two different networks. As a result I think all our wifi devices are on the 2.4GHz as that was the original name, so we are not taking advantage of the 5GHz in house. An interesting observation is that we also have two Google Nest Displays, and they do *not* suffer with the casting issue, so presumably they can operate on both 2.4 and 5GHz networks? It would be nice if a fix for this could be pushed out to the modem some day, as this used to work with my Asus router.

Conclusion

So overall the experience so far has been pretty good, and I am not regretting the change. I was skeptical a few years ago principally because of all the forum posts about issues that people had. I have been pleasantly surprised however, and being a Rogers customer for 20 years I can tell you, that is an unusual feeling! It is also nice to have reduced the number of devices running as I no longer need the router or the wireless AP. And the TV boxes are much smaller than the PVRs so I have been able to move things around a little and make use of the extra space.

I would say though, if you are doing a self installation, allow yourself plenty of time to complete it, especially if you are using WiFi for the Ignite TV (reading others experiences). I did mine first thing on a Sunday morning before the rest of the family were even up! I also did a lot of prep. working out how I wanted the modem configured so I was able to set it up straight away. I and the rest of the family are all working from home at this time, so it was important to minimise the down time.

Suzyque
I've Been Here Awhile
Yes, Rogers will force you onto ignite because the price will go up drastically but the good news is that, it’s really been a great experience. I had so much anxiety about moving from digital to wireless (no cable on your tv) but on your motem but it was the easiest set up I’ve ever experienced and the voice remote is awesome. You can tape any shows you want and they are stored on a cloud and you can search anything on your voiceless remote and it brings up the show you want. I had so much anxiety about it being an issue, that I called Rogers 3 times to see if they would give me a better deal on the digital but all that frustration for nothing. You can restart your home modem on your phone, by using the ignite hub and you don’t need technical support to get your TV’s set up because you just plug in the wireless tv box and connect the HDMI cord and you’re all set. We’re very pleased with this, the only thing we miss is that there’s no clock on the wireless box.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

How many expensive is it to have 3 or 4 TV's  connected?   We have a 3 adult household each with different TV program tastes and interest.  Right now with cable we have one main box and 3 DVT boxes. 

Good day, @jays77!

Thanks for your question! I hope you have been doing well? 🙂

At present, our Ignite bundles include 1 free Ignite TV box rental. Additional rentals are currently $10 each + applicable taxes. 

I hope this helps!

RogersYasmine

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?