Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

.....and multiply that theory by hundreds, or thousands.  It wouldn't make sense to buy out an area if there wasn't a fairly reasonable plan to switch the modem over to Rogers firmware and ensure they were set for the correct plan.  Forcing every new internet customer in the buy out area to trek to the nearest rogers store, which is in the next town doesn't make sense at all. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Shouldn't they have been prepared for this? Shouldn't they have seen something like this before and known why it is happening? I mean they are the largest communications/media company in Canada, right?

Too many false claims and broken promises during this transition. Maybe I am a small percentage. But judging by the wait times on the support lines, I doubt it.

The taste in my mouth is getting worse...

Smaller ISPs looking fairly attractive right now.
I'm an Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

.....and multiply that theory by hundreds, or thousands.  It wouldn't make sense to buy out an area if there wasn't a fairly reasonable plan to switch the modem over to Rogers firmware and ensure they were set for the correct plan.  Forcing every new internet customer in the buy out area to trek to the nearest rogers store, which is in the next town doesn't make sense at all. 

Unless something went wrong with the plan...

Replacing a few hundred/thousands of modems isn't the craziest thing in the world, though, especially if their deal with Shaw lets them ship off the Shaw-firmwared modems back to Shaw. I'm sure they have a surplus of Rogers-firmwared 3825s that have been returned by people moving to the new 60+ megabit plans sitting in a warehouse somewhere...

I'm an Advisor

@Arlichv wrote:
I suggested to an online tech that perhaps there is a proprietary firmware on the unit from Shaw preventing super user access, but said he couldn't speculate on that. Seems more and more that tech support may have given up on me easily.

In my experience with large company tech support (and Rogers is no different than others), they're only able to handle the scenarios that they've been trained for. And if there's a special transition hotline, I would guess the 'normal' tech support wasn't trained at all in how to handle this transition.

My theory: someone (presumably at Rogers engineering HQ in Brampton) cooked up a transition plan. Somewhere down the road, when a completely different team was actually carrying out this plan, something unexpected happened. And a few hours after the unexpected event happened, their transition hotline is being swamped, and no one on the front lines has been trained on this unexpected event because... well... it was unexpected.

My advice (which reflects years and years of experience with big companies): be patient. If you can get a tech to drive out to your place and swap your modem out for a 'Rogers' modem, that may help.

Where are you, anyways? (geographically)

I Plan to Stick Around

I am in Hamilton. I assume sending a tech to my place was the next step as it would have been with Shaw, not "Oh well, your equipment won't work so come get different equipment from us."

IMO (which is made up of quite a few years in retail management) that's just poor customer service, regardless if there was an unforeseen problem. Putting responsibility on the customer for solving an unforeseen problem is a great way to lose customers.

Am I overreacting in my dissatisfaction here? Again this is not my first foray into Rogers customer service debacles, as I mentioned earlier an issue with wireless a few years ago.
I'm an Advisor

@Arlichv wrote:
I am in Hamilton. I assume sending a tech to my place was the next step as it would have been with Shaw, not "Oh well, your equipment won't work so come get different equipment from us."

IMO (which is made up of quite a few years in retail management) that's just poor customer service, regardless if there was an unforeseen problem. Putting responsibility on the customer for solving an unforeseen problem is a great way to lose customers.

Am I overreacting in my dissatisfaction here? Again this is not my first foray into Rogers customer service debacles, as I mentioned earlier an issue with wireless a few years ago.

I don't know if you're overreacting or if my expectations of big companies are just absurdly low 🙂 But in my experience with big companies, it's very difficult to get good/flexible customer service because the company is just too big for anyone to understand (or have the ability to affect) anything other than the little piece of the puzzle they've been trained on and that their boss has been given responsibility for. The big computer systems that manage the accounts work in a certain way, the people on the phone have been trained about certain things, and any person who might be able to cause things to work a different way is... absolutely impossible to reach.
So, the instant you have a problem that falls outside some well-defined boxes, ouch...

And I suspect that that's what's happened here. Your modem is outside the system. Normal tech support hasn't been trained at all on this transition. The specialized support that might be able to be helpful... is unreachable. And what you need more than anything is for someone to listen, write up a ticket, and send it to whatever engineering back office architected this transaction and can actually figure out what's going on.

Personally, I'd give them a few days. See if anything spontaneously changes. Try calling the specialized transition hotline again. Then in a few days, call them up and try to get a credit on your invoice. 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Can't seem to get thru to anyone on the phone yet. I must have waiting on hold for nearly 4 hours in total in the past few days. At all different times. Still listening to this god awful grocery store/dentist office music on a loop.

Cable is not working again. Seems like everytime I would like to watch anyting on the STB, I have to unplug it for 10 minutes and turn it back on, only to wait another 15 minutes or so to waith for the program information to load.  My landlord of my building is having similar issues with cable as well as problems with customer service, as well as my friend down the street. 

Neighbours across the hall haven't had a single problem.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3614779292.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Update: Talked with Adam from tech support after waiting 2 hours and 3 minutes. (Almost hung up at 2 hours)

This one has them scratching their heads. Although I believe we have isolated the issue.

Adam told me upon successful factory resets, the DPC 3825 should automatically download and install the Rogers firmware to the unit. Don't think this is happening.

Now, every kind of reset I can think of ( including 2-3 sec soft boot, 10+ sec factory reset from Cisco documentation, and a 30/30/30 reset) will not bring me back to the default login info which I thought was user: cusadmin password: password. But maybe not, because Cisco sticker has SSID and password on it and they reset to what they should be. It's just that the SSID pass and the web login pass for the router are the same, and I assumed the latter was put in place at the firmware level by Shaw for convenience. Unless of course this is a new standard for routers, but I always assumed they all had a fairly generic default user/pass set.

All that nonsense aside, I was pleased to learn, maybe a little embarrassed, that the old Shaw building is now a Rogers office where I can exchange gear. And just a quick jaunt down the road.

Still, I feel a little defeated. This seemed like the old 30/30/30 might do the trick but I guess not.

Barring any last minute suggestions, I think I'll opt for the exchange.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions/counsel. It is appreciated!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That you are saying there is a tv issue as well, and more than one person.. Makes me more think this is a signal issue.
You say landlord...
Is this an apartment?

Wondering if something is not fully getting a signal in the building, or at least part.

An improper signal, could cause them not to be able to see it fully.

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:
That you are saying there is a tv issue as well, and more than one person.. Makes me more think this is a signal issue.
You say landlord...
Is this an apartment?

Wondering if something is not fully getting a signal in the building, or at least part.

An improper signal, could cause them not to be able to see it fully.

Meanwhile, I am thinking a back end/provisioning problem.

With (digital) TV, there's an additional complication. I assume Shaw was running Motorola gear. Rogers doesn't like Motorola in Ontario (they do run Motorola in NB), so I suspect that there will be a transition there too to the 'standard' Cisco/Scientific Atlanta platform...

But if the ex-Shaw-now-Rogers office is down the street, I think swapping the modem is not a bad idea.