Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Re: Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

@Arlichv wrote:

I find it hard to believe the modem that worked on one infrustructure little more than a week ago, "CANNOT" work as it should on the very same infrustructure, just operated by another company.

There are a lot of complex, moody management systems involved in all of this... and many customer devices in this industry are custom-made or custom-firmwared for particular customers. e.g. in the DPC3825's case, I know the firmware versions back when I had one said ROG, so clearly Rogers was getting custom firmware from Cisco.

I haven't followed this thread too closely - is the problem that you're getting way slower speeds than you should? or the modem isn't even syncing?

Arlichv
I Plan to Stick Around

Short version: Last week, consistently fast speeds of 30 to 50 Mbps. Came back on Sunday from up North. Shaw converted to Rogers over the weekend. Intenet running 2 Mbps max down and 4Mbps up on a 45 Mbps Down/ 4Mbps line. Got the run around/back and forth from support on either side. Here I am waiting for message boards to load.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Any luck with Rogers Tech Support ?

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Arlichv wrote:

Short version: Last week, consistently fast speeds of 30 to 50 Mbps. Came back on Sunday from up North. Shaw converted to Rogers over the weekend. Intenet running 2 Mbps max down and 4Mbps up on a 45 Mbps Down/ 4Mbps line. Got the run around/back and forth from support on either side. Here I am waiting for message boards to load.

Okay, so realistically, two scenarios:

1) The new 'Rogers' network isn't able to handle the traffic. I find that difficult to believe - it shouldn't be hard to monitor how much traffic that particular headend had before switching to the Rogers backbone...

2) Provisioning problem. For whatever reason, the CMTS is wrongly setting your modem to a lower-speed profile.

Easy way to test #1 vs #2: see how your performance is at 2AM. 🙂

Silly question: since there isn't a currently-offered Rogers plan in the 31-59 megabit range, have they said which plan they are migrating you to? Or are they continuing to offer the ex-Shaw tiers in your area?

Arlichv
I Plan to Stick Around

Was on hold for around 45 min when the phone needed a charge. It was the weirdest thing...something about higher than normal call volume...odd...never heard of that before. Not sure How late support is open, but I may try once the phone gets a bit more juice.

Arlichv
I Plan to Stick Around

Shaw Offered 50/3 with a 400 gb cap. Rogers "transitional" packacge offer is 45/4 with unlimited. Which "won't change for the first 12 months after you are switched to the Rogers Network.*  Rates subject to change thereafter.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Arlichv wrote:

Shaw Offered 50/3 with a 400 gb cap. Rogers "transitional" packacge offer is 45/4 with unlimited. Which "won't change for the first 12 months after you are switched to the Rogers Network.*  Rates subject to change thereafter.

That's VERY interesting. Someone else can confirm this, but I think that sounds like the unlimited version of the old D3 'Extreme Plus'... which, of course, is compatible with the DPC3825 and other 8-channel modems.

(The Rogers backend system will rigidly enforce the CGN3 requirement for the current 60 megabit and up plans...)

Arlichv
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, why can't I get a tech as savvy as you on the horn, VivienM?

I'll keep trying to get someone on the phone...maybe tomorrow morning.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am wondering if Vivienm's theory maybe correct.
That they could not access it, as the firmware on the unit may not be correct and not be provisioning properly and getting the right channel settings, etc

Arlichv
I Plan to Stick Around

I suggested to an online tech that perhaps there is a proprietary firmware on the unit from Shaw preventing super user access, but said he couldn't speculate on that. Seems more and more that tech support may have given up on me easily.