Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

Pardon the long winded message but I am at my wits end with Rogers.

Came home to a phone message from Rogers on Sunday evening stating that the Shaw to Rogers "migration of services" was successful. How I wish this was the case. I was a little shocked by this since my welcome package stated that I would be informed in writing when said migration would take place. This did not happen.

With the umpteen cable box unpluggings and resets in order to actually get a cable signal aside, download speeds have been horrendously slow since the "successful Migration". My services were to change from Shaws 50Mbps down, 3Mbps  with a 400Gb cap to Rogers 45 Mbps and 4 Mbps with unlimited usage.  This trade off seemed ok seeing that we got the unlimited usage despite the fact we have never gone over 400Gb in a month.

Well, the internet speeds to this day remain at around 1-2 Mbps. Yet Upload was fine at 4Mbps. Odd. At first I attempted to contact Rogers Tech thru chat on the website.  After rooting around my PC's networking for 5 minutes and taking 20 minutes to install Flash into IE at about 10kb/s (I assume Roger's tech "books" tell them that running a spped test in IE is better and more reliable than Firefox because........why?) the tech then told me I needed to go back to Shaw tech and talk with them because they did no have access to my account yet.

But hadn't all my services been "successfully migrated"? The electronic man told me so.

I went to a Shaw chat in the same fashion and was told by them that they no longer had our account on file because our area was all sold to Rogers. Therefore they could not service us or our equipment. She gave me a number I was to call specifically for Shaw to Rogers changeover issues.

I call and did not have to wait even a moment before I had an actual person helping me. This was great. The young guy was amazingly polite and down to earth and seemed fairly knowledgeable in networking so I was expecting the issue to be resolved.  So we tried a few things like....plugging the router into the wall and not the powerbar.....Never in my, let's say, 15 years of amateur networking experience, have I EVER had a networking problem caused by insuffiicient power from a power bar. I know the guy is just going down the troubleshooting list but come on. Is it too much too ask that tech support be knowledgeable enough to know that a speed issue is probably not caused by something like that?  Power cycles, factory resets, ensuring no other devices connected to router, original line installed by tech wasn't altered and so on. Anyways, this nice fella helped me as much as he could within his abiliity, putting me on hold a few times most likely to ask superiors questions. After his final time holding me he came back to tell me that I needed to get a new modem from a Rogers Plus store. "Just take in the old one with the power cord and exchange it".

That I could deal with, for the time. I said OK and thanked him for his help. Looked up my local Roger store for a place to exchange equipment, expecting to see the one in my city. Nope. Brantford. I live in Hamilton. About 40 KM away from Brantford.  Further research showed that the modem/router I was having troubles getting good speeds from had been used by Rogers in the past and to my knowledge, still is, the Cisco DPC3825.

I attempted a chat one more time with Rogers seeing if perhaps a more determined and knowledgeable tech could help me.  I was told to call the Shaw/Rogers specific number again and to talk to Shaw about the equipment problem, again, and was told that "your account hasn't migrated to what we have here".

But....but...hadn't my services already been "successfully migrated"?

This guy also told me that the problem isn't with the "equipments" but with the transition. "Replacing modem does not resolve issues of speed if the problem is on the network"

Anyone else get a kind of contradictory feeling in that?  Its not the modem that the problem, but, I need to check the modem with Shaw, despite the fact the problem is on the network, not the "equipments". I have a screenshot of that conversation if interested.

Anyways, I go back to Shaw, they of course say the same thing and send me back to Rogers. I waitied on the phone for over an hour last night and got no one. And today I heard from a friend near me with a similar cable issue. And he's Italian and currently cannot watch The World Cup.

Not really sure of the point of this post anymore, but I guess if anyone has had any experience similar to this with this "equipments", could they can throw me a bone for crying out loud. Because Rogers does not seem up to the task.

Those smaller ISP's starting to look real attractive...

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Shaw to Rogers Transition- May God help us all

that is a long post man... but did you finally swap your modem at the Rogers store? what happened then?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No way. I can't justify spending money to get to another bloody city to replace a piece of equipment that from what I have read, SHOULD work. Even if it doesn't work, I had no choice in the Shaw buyout.  How is the end user expected to be responsible for such things? 

You'd think if you were planning on buying out an area of cable subscribers, you would have a retail store or office at the ready to service those new customers within a decent radius of the bought out area.

Nope, you gotta drive 40 km.  I don't know about anyone else but I pay enough for these services with having to spend my own money to ensure they work properly.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm guessing here that your current modem is the DPC3825, which had been registered with Shaw's Network.  Did Roger's drag all of the MAC addresses over in the change-over?  I wonder if its possible to check with tech support to determine if they can just add the number, or if its outside the allowable address range.  That might save a road trip and get you back up and running.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes the DPC3825 it is, and it works now, it's just slow as molasses on the D/L.

I exchanged the routers MAC addy with the Tech over the phone and we did the factory reset (which eluded us a bit because of a wps button on the back "masquerading" as a reset button, despite the fact I know full well they are recessed buttons, whatta dummy.)

He still could not gain access to make any neccessary changes. He could see levels and said they were all ok but just couldn't gain access from his end. Here's where the amateur status bites me.

If I can access the net GUI without issue after a reset, why cant he access from his end?

Is this some sort of safeguard in place by Shaw to prevent unauthorized super user access to the router?

Should I try again with phone support and hope for a more tenacious/knowledgeable/determined tech?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, but I would try tech support instead of the transition team.  Explain the situation so that the tech knows what has happened and see if he or she is able to to anything with the 3825.  Its just possible that despite the addition of the MAC addresss into the system, that there is some hangup somewhere preventing the techs from gaining control of those particular modems.  If that really is the case, then Rogers should be making efforts to get to the customer, instead of the other way around, personal opinion of course.  And that should be identified to the supervisors up the chain within the transition team.  It seems rather inefficient if several hundred or several thousand customers are expected to trek into the next town to exchange a modem.

What was your tested download / upload rates when you were with Shaw?

Fwiw, I had a Motorola Surfboard that I brought with me from Shaw territory not so very long ago.  Tried but could not add it to the Rogers network. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've only tried online tech support chat because the phone lines are always jammed, but they always say my information isn't with them yet,  so at the moment it would seem that only the transition team has my info.

To be clear I have called the transition team tech (suggested by both Shaw and Rogers online support) and chatted with the online Rogers tech twice, and have yet to phone the "general" tech support. Which I will try shortly.

It's been in my experience that getting higher ups on the phone can be tricky. Had to endure some chest beating and posturing from a young punk over the phone a few years back with Rogers Wireless. "Yeah I can do that but I won't" kinda thing. Hope it will be easier this time.

Thanks for the suggestions Datalink.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have your MAC address on hand when you talk to tech support.  If they can't find you by address or phone number yet, maybe they can locate the 3825 by MAC address.  If that is a no go, then you should be working your way up the supervisory ladder on the transition team.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Beauty! Thanks again, Datalink. I'll hop on the phone. Will report.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

In regard to your edit, Shaw usually gave me anywhere from 30 to 50 Mbps down consistently (upon switching to the Cisco from an SMC) Since that switch, it has been flawless.

I find it hard to believe the modem that worked on one infrustructure little more than a week ago, "CANNOT" work as it should on the very same infrustructure, just operated by another company.

My phone is dying listening to this latin fusion pop loop while I am on hold. I'll be hearing this song in my nightmares...