Setup whole home PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Setup whole home PVR

I have seen two ways of doing it.. and one is completely un necessary.. it involves putting filters near all boxes, etc.. its a waste and un necessary.

Really only ONE filter needs to be installed.

As to WHERE.. that really comes down to the layout of how the cabling is.

Yes, it could be just outside where the box is there.. but i would recomend against that.. as with the cold, etc outdoors.. might be more prone to failure, by temp, humidity, etc.

Generally, should be INSIDE the house.. where they come in from outside.
Likely then where the amp, splitters, etc are.
They need to make everything comes off the same 'loop' so they are grouped together.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. Yeah, I'm fine with them installing it indoors on the panel where the amp and all the splitters are. I'd just not rather have them go around room to room.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@John-Paul wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm fine with them installing it indoors on the panel where the amp and all the splitters are. I'd just not rather have them go around room to room.

They're going to have to go room to room to ensure that all of the terminals are connected to the network.

In a WHPVR setup, the tech has to:

1. Install the MOCA filter on the incoming line.

2. Have the PVR authorized for WHPVR

3. Check each terminal to see that they're connected to the network.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ugh, really? I don't know if this will work then. : \
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@John-Paul wrote:
Ugh, really? I don't know if this will work then. : \

They don't really need to go room to room, if they install the filter where you're cable comes in the house.

During the initial Whole Home PVR setup, where they install the filter, I asked the technician that if I acquire additional HD boxes if they could be added to my network remotely.  He said YES.

When I acquired and additional HD box, and wanted to have it added to my up Whole Home PVR network, I called Rogers to have it added to my network. Well they say they have to send out a technician.  I tell them I was told it could be done remotely.  No, they say, and schedule a technician vist.

The technician shows up and I tell him that I have a box to add to my Whole Home PVR network.  He asks for the serial number and goes back to his van.  Comes back a little later and says it's all done, and tells me it should start networking with the PVR soon.  He didn't even come in.

So, they don't need to go room to room, if you have faith that it will start working shortly.

And YES, it could be done remotely, which the technician basically did from his van.  Some of the technical support people you get on the phone really don't know what they are doing.  It's usually, replace the box, or we'll send the technician out.  If these support people were better trained they could save a bundle on sending technicians out to the homes when it's not required.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That makes a lot of sense being able to add it remotely; that never occurs to me. Thanks for the suggestion. And yes, I agree completely about Rogers phone support. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the reply "oh gee I don't know. They don't train us about that. We'll need to send a tech out"

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Whole home PVR

I already have whole home pvr set up in my house. I'm adding a new box. Can I just plug it in and it will sync up with my existing whole home pvr set up.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Chizzel:

No, usually you need to have a technician install any box in WHPVR.  Sometimes people have been able to get it working with a phone call, but don't be surprised if you can't.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well I guess I've answered my own question. Just picked up my 4k pvr and it automatically synced to my next box 2.0 pvr.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Chizzel:

I'm surprised that this worked. Usually a visit by a technician is required, or at least a phone call.

Is this a totally new installation or is the 4K box replacing one that was already there?  If the latter, that could explain it.

One needs to be careful with WHPVR so that the proper filters are in place so that your box isn't accessible from outside your home.

Perhaps Rogers are now doing things differently, with the appropriate "codes" put into the system at the store where/when you pick up the box.