Setting up Netbox 3.0 without hdtv

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Setting up Netbox 3.0 without hdtv

I recently just rented a netbox 3.0 and i do not have a HDTV. I was told in order for it to work i need an AV cable to plug in the back of the box and tv. When i plug it in i just get blank channels. Am i doing something wrong? and how do i set up the remote to go with the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Setting up Netbox 3.0 without hdtv

Ok, lets make sure that everythings pluged in fine.

You go from the cable jack on the wall, into the back of the NB3?
then the yellow AV cable, into your TV (with the red/white audio as well)

You turn your TV to whatever input you pluged those cables into.

turn the NB3 on.. by power on the remote.

Do you see anything on the screen?

Try hitting guide, see if it shows the channel listings.. can you select one does it show anything?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The AV cable i have is black. I put the red, white and yellow in the tv and the box. How do i know what input i plugged the cables into? nothing is popped up on the screen. Do i need to turn on my tv with my regular remote and put it on channel 3(guide) which is blank? I havent set up the new remote either so the only thing that is turning the tv on is my actual tv remote.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would need to consult your tv manual to determine which inputs you want to, or should use.  When you use the yellow video cable with red and white audio cables, these will plug into one of (possibly many) video inputs on the back of the tv.  When that is done, use your tv control to cycle the input from antenna, cable, or HDMI to the Video In # that matches the panel where you connected the cables to.  For example you might have three or four separate input cable sections on the back of the tv.  They might be labelled Video-1, Video-2, Video-3, etc.  So, for the section that you plugged into, use the tv control to cycle the inputs until you see the screen go live with the Nexbox input.

Here is a link to what I believe is the Nextbox manual from Cicso.  Page 16 shows a connection example similar to what you are doing.

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4026882_A.pdf

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, the cable might be black 🙂 the PORT it goes into is yellow though 🙂

For now, lets make sure everything works, before worrying about programming the remote...

So yes, you will need to turn your TV on via ITS remote for now.

But no, you dont want it on channel 3.  You will want to use its INPUT select, to change it to whatever input the cables are plugged into.  USUALLY the TV itself, where you pluged the cables into, will list what input it is.  Change the TV so its on THAT input.

This is the input you will want to leave the TV on.. and NOT change it.

If you can get picture, etc.. then let us know.. and we can help with programming the remote 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Okay. I have it on the input. Everything is plugged in but i have a black screen. I have been trying to call tech support and have been on hold at least 20 minutes at a time and one guy even hung up on me without calling back. I am trying to program the remote but nothing? how will the picture come back?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Don't worry about programming the remote just yet.  First job is to get the video and audio up and running.  What model TV do you have, and how did you plug into it before, antenna cable, HDMI, composite inputs?  On your TV remote control, there should be an input button.  Normally when you press that button it either causes the TV input processor to go to the next input section, ie, antenna, HDMI, etc, or it will show an input menu where you have to select which TV input you want to watch.  I'm just trying to make sure that the input number that you plugged into on the back is the one that is selected for viewing.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As well, make sure the NB3 is ON.

Even for now, forget the rogers remote, and turn it on via the power button on the front.  As well as the TIME there should be a little light on the left hand side on.

Assuming you are on the CORRECT input on the TV.. and the box is on.. you should be seeing/hearing some

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Panasonic and its a DVD/VCR too. The red,white and yellow inputs on the tv are at the front and at the back only white and red. I have everything plugged in the right way I think. The box is on and showing the time im just not getting the picture. I dont even know what the inputs mean, only one is showing up and there is nowhere else i can plug anything into so this has the be the one. This whole ordeal is getting very frustrating. I cant seem to get a hold of anyone from tech support and the lady who told me she'd book an appointment for someone to come out and look never called me back. My patience is running thin.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If your tv only has the one set with the yellow, and your DVD is in it, you might have an old enough tv that it doesn't have enough inputs.

My suggestion?

Call back in and ask them to book an appointment for you, to have a tech bring out a nextbox 2 for you.
While it is the slightly older box, it has the regular cable output on it, in which you could then Connect into the cable input on the tv, and leave the tv on channel 3.