cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending emails from my own domain

stulindsay
I've Been Here Awhile

I have my own domain through EasyDNS.  I have forwarding set up so that email from <me>@<mydomain>.com are automatically forwarded to my Rogers account (I don't have a mailbox with EasyDNS - just email forwarding).  When I respond to those emails I'd like them to show up the the recipient as being from <me>@<mydomain>.com instead of from my Rogers email account.  How can I set things up so that works?  The Rogers server rejects messages if I just change the email setting in the properties because it doesn't match the email accounts I have with Rogers.

Is there a way to do this?  I'm using Outlook (2007?) as the email client.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sending emails from my own domain

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I used to do this before I dump Rogers mail and went to Gmail for everything (even third party domains). I just checked and it's still possible although you have to go through the most retarded way Rogers could have thought of.

Go to mail.rogers.com and it will send you to Yahoo. Click the Mail login in the top right corner. Log in there with your @rogers.com address. From there choose Options. On the left hand side under Advanced Options is Mail Accounts. Click Add and enter a name for it and then the full address you want to send out as. Click next, and then Skip.

Now in outlook when you change the outgoing e-mail address enter that address you want to send out as, and under advanced settings, SMTP, make sure you enable authentication and use the @rogers.com address you did all the other crap with.

**UPDATE**

Hey everyone, 

Here are some additional links to help with the setup process of verifying a third party email address to send through the rogers server, and also a quick setup guide for Outlook 2007.

Set Up Third Party Email in Rogers Yahoo! Webmail

Modify Third Party Email Account Settings in Microsoft Outlook 2007

Thanks

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

About only thing that rogers looks at, is the incomming/outgoing for the addresses.  So in that part of the settings, you will have to keep your rogers email address there.

But in the initial part of the setup, where it shows your display name and email, you SHOULD be able to change that part and be able to send fine, as it doesnt authenticate off that part.. its for display only.

By default, most receiving email programs, should use this to reply to, etc..
The only thing is if you went into the VIEW SOURCE, they may see it comming from your XYZ@rogers.com address.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

most hosting providers which host your domain name give you a mailbox already.  its highly recommended to setup the email directly with the domain and dont bother with the rogers one,  after all, the rogers one has nothing to do with your domain.   you will need to get the mail server settings for incoming and outgoing from the domain hosting provier, usually they give you a C Panel to log into and you can manage the settings and even the mailboxes from there.  its highly recommended to do this; often cheaper hosting providers cut corners and do not do this so if u have one of those you might be sol.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pauly, just because someone has a registered domain doesn't mean that they always have hosting & therefore the capability for the email host there. 🙂

Myself for example. I have two hosted domain names... and domain names ONLY. They point to hosts elsewhere (one on my personal server, one elsewhere). These ones like the OP, have the option for forwarded email address, but do not provide the hosting for it at all

stulindsay
I've Been Here Awhile

GDKitty is exactly right.  The whole point of having the domain separate from any hosting is so I have the freedom to move the hosting around easily and just redirect the domain to wherever I happen to be.  I've migrated my website between a few different providers already and this scheme lets me establish a new hosting platform, bring it up, test it, and then just redirect my domain without having to retire the old one ahead of time.

The only option I saw in Outlook 2007 was the ability to specify a different reply address.  I swear I did this before (before my computer crashed and I had to set everything up again).  I seem to remember there was something I had to do on the Rogers side to validate that I was the owner of that email address (i.e. they sent a message that I had to reply to verify that I was the owner) so that they'd allow that email to be used.  But I can't find how I did it before now.

If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to forward them along.  Otherwise I'll have to find some time to give tech support a call to see what my options are.

Been a while since i have done outlook & pop (unfortnately, i normaly deal with exchange on outlook.. and primarily lotus notes).

Just opened my Outlook 2013 at home.

Tried to add a new account.

They must have changed it at some point.. i am sure you could set it otherwise before... but you are right, the email in the main account setting, does need to be set to your rogers one.

While the replyto, will work, when they hit reply, it will send it to your other address... generaly people will be able to see your rogers address.

Its worth a call, and see if they can do anything, but may not be able to. 
I am guessing, this is likely there on PURPOSE.. to help stop SPAM from being sent from rogers accounts... otherwise it would be very easy for say me to steal your login info, they put a false email on it, and away we go, much harder to trace.

stulindsay
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I'm figuring the same thing.  I know I was able to do it before without too much trouble and it does seem to be different.  So I'm also guessing this was intentional.  I'll see what I can come up with.  I took a look at my current plan and I do have a few mailboxes from EasyDNS so that may serve as a temporary solution.  I was hoping to have a little more flexibility on where my email actually lives through (as I do with my website).

Thanks for the support.  I appreciate the quick responses.

No problem!

Good luck! let us know how it goes.

mbazdell

I used to do this before I dump Rogers mail and went to Gmail for everything (even third party domains). I just checked and it's still possible although you have to go through the most retarded way Rogers could have thought of.

Go to mail.rogers.com and it will send you to Yahoo. Click the Mail login in the top right corner. Log in there with your @rogers.com address. From there choose Options. On the left hand side under Advanced Options is Mail Accounts. Click Add and enter a name for it and then the full address you want to send out as. Click next, and then Skip.

Now in outlook when you change the outgoing e-mail address enter that address you want to send out as, and under advanced settings, SMTP, make sure you enable authentication and use the @rogers.com address you did all the other crap with.

**UPDATE**

Hey everyone, 

Here are some additional links to help with the setup process of verifying a third party email address to send through the rogers server, and also a quick setup guide for Outlook 2007.

Set Up Third Party Email in Rogers Yahoo! Webmail

Modify Third Party Email Account Settings in Microsoft Outlook 2007

Thanks

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Oh really? Never figured to look there.
Must validate against that.

Worth a shot to try!

stulindsay
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow - EXCELLENT mbazdell!!  Thats exactly what I was looking for.  And it does send an email to the address you enter to verify you own it exactly as I remember.  Thanks so much!!  I agree it's a very convoluted way to set this up but I'm glad there's still a way to do it.  Thanks for your help!

another thing you can do is host your domain email address for FREE from G-mail. 

i have a domain and i log into gmail with my own domain, i am not paying for hosting,  that gives my domain its own smtp andpop server, actually its gmails, but its independant of rogers, and i can use it like any email client and its less confusing and its simple, even if u dont have a hosting gmail still will work with your domain, just add the mx record

when its all said and done log into webmail.yourdomainname.com for web mail or simply use your own email client, bypass rogers smtp and pop completely, even if u cancel rogers and go to antoher company it will STILL WORK

mbazdell

@Pauly wrote:

another thing you can do is host your domain email address for FREE from G-mail. 

Gmail stopped the free service a few months ago. It's now $50/year/user.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
well then go with another provider, im sure there are hundreds of providors who offer this, and even if u have to pay, its well worth the price, i would rather pay $50 a year and instead of having to struggle with coding and playing with stupid server settings which may change or stop working and there is no guarentee.

TMnwt
I've Been Here Awhile

Sending emails from my own domain. -  receiving from my own domain

for a while now I have been receiving emails with my own email address!  They are certainly spam due to content, and they are not emails I sent to myself. 

What has happened?  I asked a friend experiencing the same issue and she siad Rogers.com is easy to appropriate.

I cam change my password, but I guess also my email address as well?  

Thanks for any advice! 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It has NOTHING to do with apropriated email, etc.
They emails, are NOT being sent from you, or your address.

(well, there is always the chance, but most likely not)

If you check the HEADER data on the email.. (How to do this varries based on what you are viewing the email with)

You will see that its usually sent from a completely different address.

What they are doing is spoofing just the displayed/reply to email portion.
Just about ANYONE can do it.  I can go into outlook and send emails from my account, but make them appear from YOUR address (if i knew what it was).

TMnwt
I've Been Here Awhile

Many thanks!  So is there any way to stop minimize the risk and annoyance! 

I figure I will change my passwords, security questions etc.   But should I change my actual email address?  I thought this would be a good idea after changing the password, but in doingnso would I loose all emails that I have in my inbox with the "old" address? 

Thanks again! 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Changing the email address.. really wont do much in the long run.
You will have the hastle that no one else has it, you have to give it out to everyone, re sign up for sites/change it on there, etc.. the emails wont copy over, etc.

The problem is.. the only email which is 100% not prone, is one that no one has 😛

Once you send an email to someone.. sign up for a site (especially ones where the email is publically visible). Then all it takes is them being hacked, the email stolen, etc.  And once one person has it out there.. it can be passed onto another, and another, and another.

You get spam.

Changing? Sure it will lesten it to start.. but as your email gets out there?  Same thing will happen again.

MAX18
I've Been Around

Hi there, can anyone help me figure it out how I can hide the email address "me@rogers.com" in my sent email? I used rogers ISP with email setting like you discussed seven years ago and could hide "me@rogers.com" in the sent emails. however, I can not hide me@rogers.com any more today. I set up my own email in outlook 2007 and can send and receive emails send email but the sent email as below:

sender: me<me@mydomain.com>(sent by me@rogers.com). I wish to hide (sent by me@rogers.com) and show "me<me@mydomain.com>" only. thanks a lot! Max

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
your email is showing because you are using the SMTP Server from your Rogers account instead of the SMTP server from your personal domain name. If you want to send and receive email from your OWN Domain, then you need to aquire a SMTP address from your domain host and use it in your email client or use the web based mail portal that is included with your domain name to send emails from your domain.

Rogers only supports email from their own domain (rogers.com) so using your own domain is not supported and you are not suppose to be using their SMTP settings.

What if you were no longer a customer of Rogers broadband internet, and still have your own domain name right? yeah because of this possibility, you would need your domain providers smtp settings, some times its included, some times its extra cost, but nothing rogers residential support can do to help you on this, sorry.

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation