Senators hockey

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Senators hockey

I have tried to talk to Rogers reps about the following and they say that is not their territory. I asked who I could talk to and they had no idea. So I will try here. I have two questions

I am an Ottawa Senators fan and live in NB which is Sens territory on Sportsnet  so last year we got the games in HD on Sportsnet East.

This year some of the games have been moved to Sportsnet One or Sportsnet Sens. However these channels are not available in HD.  Will we get them in HD?.

Here in NB we get 6 CBC stations. On saturday evenings we get the Leafs on all 6 channels.  If Rogers provided CBC Ottawa we could get the Senators games on Saturday.  If Rogers does not want to give us CBC Ottwa all the time, they could at least replace the one of the CBC channels on Saturday evenings.  I know the channel is available because the dish companies have it.

Hikers99

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Senators hockey

All I can say about #1 is that in ottawa we have SNone and SNSENS in HD.. SNSENS is channel 500 here. SN1HD is 584.. Sorry I know know more information about NB....

Checking out https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PTV_PROG_CHANNEL&forwardTo=themePack&... on the right you can get a channel lineup. I don't see them offered in HD in Fredericton NB
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I contacted Rogers by email about  my second point which is as follows

Here in NB we get 6 CBC stations. On saturday evenings we get the Leafs on all 6 channels.  If Rogers provided CBC Ottawa we could get the Senators games on Saturday.  If Rogers does not want to give us CBC Ottwa all the time, they could at least replace the one of the CBC channels on Saturday evenings.  I know the channel is available because the dish companies have it.

I received the following response from them

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of
online customer service.

The NHL (like all major league sports) has strict regional coverage
rules. The only Canadian stations that are granted a national coverage
license for Canada are TSN, TSN 2, CBC and RDS. Although CBC seems to
have chosen the regional coverage path for certain Hockey Night in
Canada games by there own choice and will show the games to the regions
of their choice. I are pleased to have been able to address your inquiry.

Stations such as Leafs TV and Sportsnet are only granted a regional
coverage license by the NHL. Since you live in New Brunswick, the NHL
has deemed Ottawa, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces a shared Sens and
Habs region, whereas the rest of Ontario, within a 100-200 kms ratio of
Ottawa, are considered Leafs region as per the NHL.

For additional
information please visit our website at www.rogers.com. You are a valued
customer and we thank you for your business.

It seems they missed the whole point.  I agree that the CBC can decide to show whatever game they want in each region and there is no regional restrictions.  Therefore, the Maritimes is entitled to see any CBC game including the Sens Game.  Therefore if Rogers provided us with CBOT (CBC Ottawa), we could watch the Sens. As I said, if they wont give us CBC Ottawa all the time, just give it to us on Saturday nights.  Last Saturday, I had to watch the Sens game on my computer on the CBC website.  I pay a lot for my cable and I dont think it would be a costly decision for them to give us that channel

The channel is readily available to them, so why arent they showing it. You would think it would be an obvious  choice for Rogers.  After all, Rogers Sportsnet provides most of the other Sens games here, so you would think Rogers cable would want to keep everyone interested in the Sens games. 

So I guess what I need to know is who makes the decisions about the channels that we get and how do I get in touch with them.  Do the local Rogers people here in Moncton have a say in what channels we get or is it a HQ decision?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been getting similar responses when I complain about the CBC feeds in Southern Ontario. On the digital box we get 7 feeds. I am a Habs fan and would love to have access to the Montreal CBC feed (like you said, the satellites have it). They added the 7th feed last summer. So now, in addition to the Toronto feed, we get the Oshawa CBC feed (<50km from TO).

Good luck with pressuring Rogers to carry Ottawa CBC! I am a brother in the fight against coast-to-coast Leaf games!