cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scored a Lumia 920 on upgrade -- but my son got it :-(

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

Say what you will about Rogers, they sure took very good care of me and my family.  Got a message from 'the President' that I could upgrade my son's phone (at the two year mark in the contract) for essentially just the cost of the new phone - waived the 'upgrade fee' and 'early contract change fee'.  Plus, they gave me the 920 for $30!!!

I was kind of hoping my son would think it was too big and too heavy to tote around, but he's loving it! Especially the increased integration of WP8 and the new look and feel.

On top of that, he loves the way the Lumia 920 feels and the 'sturdiness' of the construction.

Shoot!  and I was hoping to get it as a 'throwaway'.  Oh well.. an early Christmas gift for him and Papa will just have to wait a little bit longer....  (I'm actually hoping to test drive the HTC 8X)

****Edited Labels****

/drt
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Scored a Lumia 920 on upgrade -- but my son got it :-(

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello drtolson

That is good to hear!. Now go get your phone lol.

The reason WHY you got that is because they are trying to get everyone to change and go with their new FlexTab. I know around 4 people that got the same exact deal as you for the Lumia 920 and a for the New iPhone 5. This reason alone was for everyone go upgrade to the new FlexTab like i said. Go on Red FlagDeals and you will see many many getting deals like this.

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello drtolson

That is good to hear!. Now go get your phone lol.

The reason WHY you got that is because they are trying to get everyone to change and go with their new FlexTab. I know around 4 people that got the same exact deal as you for the Lumia 920 and a for the New iPhone 5. This reason alone was for everyone go upgrade to the new FlexTab like i said. Go on Red FlagDeals and you will see many many getting deals like this.

Hi Meowmix... not sure what you mean by FlexTab, cuz nothing changed on my plan.

Interesting, cuz that night, I got a call from Rogers Customer Serviice, wanting to 'go over my plan with me' and see if they could get me a better deal.  Long story short -- they couldn't.  I've been on the plan for quite a while and the plan I'm on is no longer available.  But because I keep renewing each of the phones (there are 3 on it, at different life stages), the plan keeps getting renewed.

/drt

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello drtolson

The FlexTab is the new upgrade system from Rogers. Rogers wants every customers to go it, so thus they make whoever did NOT do a upgrade after Jan 2012, do one just to be on it.

" As of January 22, 2012 the hardware upgrade policy was changed to provide customers more flexibility to upgrade their hardware or change plans. Whether you activated prior to or after this date, upgrading your hardware is simple."

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/flextab?cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Devices-_-Flext...

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:

Hello drtolson

The FlexTab is the new upgrade system from Rogers. Rogers wants every customers to go it, so thus they make whoever did NOT do a upgrade after Jan 2012, do one just to be on it.

" As of January 22, 2012 the hardware upgrade policy was changed to provide customers more flexibility to upgrade their hardware or change plans. Whether you activated prior to or after this date, upgrading your hardware is simple."

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/flextab?cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Devices-_-Flext...

Yea, I see that now on both of my sons' accounts, but not on my line.  I guess I missed whatever deadline they were using.  Maybe they'll give me an extra-special deal to move over to it 🙂

It's actually not a bad idea -- I can now see how much it will cost to 'buy out' the next upgrade, but they are still charging too much for the phones (IMHO).... 

/drt

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I really doubt they would give you something more or extra-special. If you are going to get that, then everyone else should.

It is great!. You are able to see the amount of the phone remaining to pay off & know what exactly it is. I agree with that. All carriers tho charge more for the phone, so they can make money in the end. Remember, The Nexus 4 ( Android phone) is being sold for $300 at Google Play store. NO carrier has it because Google ONLY wants to sell it for that cost. The carriers said NO because they want to add more to make money. Carriers are greedy.
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation