Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD PVR

Hi folks...Im wondering if you can help...trying to set up the 8300HD PVR...the landlord is many miles away..first do I need his phone number or pin or whatever to even call in for tech to see if the signal is working or active...I have got all the way to see the TV guide..but no picture..it did work,the guide,still no picture...but now it says across the screen Interactive guide is unavailable and the box is in standalone mode.....I have spent hours on my own trying to find a way..to get out of that mode..and I am a bit techy and nerdy so I know how to get into and scoll throught the diagnostics...page 5..to see if any dbs are there or sn....on the one page its say unlocked and the side pending..???? Thanks MichaelSmiley Indifferent

***Edited Labels*** 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD PVR

Hi @Mikeej8,

This sounds like a signal issue to me. Do you have the cable from the wall plugged directly into "Cable In" behind the box? If so, try rebooting it for 10 seconds (unplug electrical cord and plug back in). It's also possible that the outlet you are trying to hook up the box to may not be active. You might require a technician visit but unless you're an authorized user on the account, the landlord will need to call in at 1-888-764-3771. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mikeej8 wrote:

Hi folks...Im wondering if you can help...trying to set up the 8300HD PVR...the landlord is many miles away..first do I need his phone number or pin or whatever to even call in for tech to see if the signal is working or active...I have got all the way to see the TV guide..but no picture..it did work,the guide,still no picture...but now it says across the screen Interactive guide is unavailable and the box is in standalone mode.....I have spent hours on my own trying to find a way..to get out of that mode..and I am a bit techy and nerdy so I know how to get into and scoll throught the diagnostics...page 5..to see if any dbs are there or sn....on the one page its say unlocked and the side pending..???? Thanks MichaelSmiley Indifferent

***Edited Labels*** 

It's been some time since I set up my SA8300HD. I know when I first got it, I had trouble getting the picture correct. Here are a few hints.

https://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4004007.pdf

https://gigaom.com/2007/12/15/six-steps-to-get-more-hd-from-your-scientific-atlanta-set-top-box/

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/68033-sa-830...

Given Rogers current offerings, the old SA8300HD is head and shoulders above anything now available for reliability and user friendliness. You're lucky to have it. If none of the above is of help, call Rogers directly.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Old Yeller...heres a dumb question...could it be this old RCA TV..does a tv have to be a hdtv????

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

So long as your TV has composite (yellow video, red & white audio) or S-video inputs, you should be okay. You just won't get any HD channels.  But, honestly, with flat screen LED TVs selling for $200, you really should have HD.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Clarification, although you'll get HD channels, the display on an SDTV will be SD, but the HD channels may appear much clearer than the SD ones.

2. Where does the SA8300HD come from?  Is it activated?  In order to operate it needs to be activated on your account. If you're not paying for the service, this would be called "account splitting", which is against Rogers' Terms of Service.

3. Standalone mode means that there is no return signal getting back to the Rogers Head End.  This could be due to something upstream blocking that signal (like a poor splitter or other poor signal issue), or it could be because the STB is not activated.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi OY...Well before we got the HD box we got the basic cable from Rogers and everything came through before the fish tanks arrived. The same set up shared with a Comwave internet modem..they use the same line...Comwave for internet and Rogers for TV...until this box hookup woes...I snapped a few pics form the menu..when I take the cable line and plug directly into HD nox ..nothing..which is making me think it is pending or not fully live for a TV signal yet...internet yes..from Comwave..but we were still getting the analogue fishtank channels as of last week..meaning the signal was still live from Rogers...yes??? WP_20160222_001.jpgWP_20160222_002.jpg

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

HI again OY...also I forget to say...because of student room access...and MIA of the kids..I finally got into each room and the fish tank channel 3, is coming into the upstairs ..clear...hmmmmm ..one other question.so they have gone to Digitial now and does this 8300HD do the job of those other smaller box tops that decode the signal...to bring in HD channesl..or do I need that other small black box as well??? Thanks 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The fish tank tells you there is a signal to the outlet. It's te only channel left on analog. The difference between the DTA50 digital adapter and the SA8300HD is that the former only gets you the basic cable channels in SD and there's a scrolling non-interactive guide on channel 5 or 10, or wherever it is in your area.  The 8300 has the interactive Guide, recording ability and gets all the channels you're subscribed to. The DTA50 takes the co-ax from the wall and outputs co-ax to your TV tuned to Channel 3. The 8300 outputs co-ax, HDMI, composite and component to your TV, whichever is appropriate for your set. Only the HDMI output will be HD. I can't see the pictures you posted presently because they haven't been approved yet, but I'll have a look later.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mikeej8 wrote:

Hi OY...Well before we got the HD box we got the basic cable from Rogers and everything came through before the fish tanks arrived. The same set up shared with a Comwave internet modem..they use the same line...Comwave for internet and Rogers for TV...until this box hookup woes...I snapped a few pics form the menu..when I take the cable line and plug directly into HD nox ..nothing..which is making me think it is pending or not fully live for a TV signal yet...internet yes..from Comwave..but we were still getting the analogue fishtank channels as of last week..meaning the signal was still live from Rogers...yes??? WP_20160222_001.jpgWP_20160222_002.jpg

Not sure what to make of that. Is that on the fish tank channel? I see it's been booted for 3 days, yet Status is still  "in progress".  My screen 5 says Tuning Mode: QAM-256, not Analog and Status is Locked. How do you have the box connected? I would call Rogers and ask them to figure it out.