Scientific Atlanta v/s Cisco

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Scientific Atlanta v/s Cisco

I am looking to purchase a new DVR/PVR to use on HD w Rogers.  Unfortunately, the new Cisco boxes are not getting good user reviews (eg go to Future Shop).  Another alternative would be to buy the prior model of Scientific Atlanta.  Prior to HD I have had a SA for SD (regular digital) which worked perfectly (I bought it rather than rented it).  Suggestions?

Another alternative might be continue to use my SA for SD, since I am okay with SD playback, and use the HD terminal for live/non recorded TV.  I am thinking this will work by connecting both units.  Any further suggestions?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Scientific Atlanta v/s Cisco

Cisco has aquired Scientific Atlantic Cable Box division.  The Cisco Boxes still use technology from the former, as well may contain newer technology that Ciscos developed.

Obviously for futureproofing yourself, you may want to go with Cisco, they have newer and faster processors and graphics engines inthem, more memory, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Pauly,

Thanks for the reply.  What you suggest makes sense to me.  Appreciated Smiley Happy

I'm a Senior Advisor

To add to what Pauly wrote I also believe the newer boxes will one day provide network support to share the recorded programs throughout your house on other tv's so you can watch anywhere. Also the newer cisco boxes are mpeg4 capable which I believe rogers will one day switch to as they will be able to send twice as much channels to our houses with the same quality. Plus inside the box uses sata so you can easily change out the 160GB HDD for a 1TB drive with gives you tones of recording space.

As for buying vs renting I'm more of a fan of renting.. These boxes do fail from time to time and it is always nice to be able to just bring them in and swap them. Also some people have noted being able to get a good discount on the rental of their digital boxes by calling rogers..

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with Chris.  I have had zero issues with my new 8642 box and I know it will support more features down the line so I'd rather have the new box than be stuck with an old one.

I also prefer to rent just due to the fact that I can go in and swap the box if anything happens.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers downgraded this box to the level of the SA 8300 by installing the software used on 8300.

All the nice features that CISCO developed and put in the box are disabled due to this software.

On Rogers site it states that this box has DLNA capabilities which is misleading and a big fat lie since although this box supports DLAN given the right software is installed, Rogers in their infinite wisdom decided that this is not a necessary feature for their clients and disabled it (same goes for the 1080p).

Basically this could be a good box hadn't Rogers intervened and installed their version of software.

Just judge by yourself what this box could do hadn't it was Rogers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KhleNuCxg&feature=player_embedded#!

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/prod_051010c.html

I Plan to Stick Around

While the Cisco box may have the technological ability for many enhanced features, this is Rogers we're talking about.  We'll never see them.

This recent upgrade in the software for PVR's was the first of any significance since Rogers first introduced PVR's, how many years ago now?  And even that is incredibly minor and doesn't even include a search function to allow you to search for a show.  (god, that sounds so unbelievable when you say it out loud, doesn't it?  A PVR programming guide that doesn't allow you to search for a program?  Unreal)  So, if you're hoping for networking and other enhanced capabilities from Rogers, I say, dream on.

I've Been Around

Hi

If CISCO did buy out that division of Scientific Atlanta they certainly did not use any of the priors configuration.  I just replaced my SA HD PVR with a CISCO 8642.  The CISCO is a pos.  It freezes.  Then all the changes you requested are buffered and then applied.

I have reset the CISCO many times.  Is there a software upgrade I am missing and can apply?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It's probably not a good idea to drag up a 3-year-old thread and add to it because the technology has changed considerably over that time.

Anyway, the platform of the new Cisco nextboxes is completely different from the older tried and true SA boxes. It also appears to still be in the development stage. Once it's working 100% and all the intended features enabled, the old boxes will likely be obsoleted.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 8642 is also a much older box with lacking Hardware.

You would be much better to return the 8642 if you can and get the 9865. While same newer software, actually works, doesn't hang/freeze, etc.