Scientific Atlanta E940 Box - No Power

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Scientific Atlanta E940 Box - No Power

I agree. It's just an old cable terminal, not a PVR. Meanwhile, ask Rogers for a digital adapter.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes saw those used boxes online at $75 and agree with Pauly that these are way overpriced. I paid $50 for the box new from Rogers 5 years ago. Btw, Rogers gave me an extra power cord to try (which did not work) but would not give me an out-of-warranty courtesy replacement.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They are likely jacking up the pricing.. due to availability.

They know, that they are not provided.. and for people really wanting one.. they know they can get the money since they are the only thing out there 😞

At that price.. i would just spend the $ on a used PVR off there at that point, HD, etc.

You could TRY to see if you can get a DTA from them.
Not sure if they are FREE anymore.. but may still be cheaper.
The DTA will only give channels 1-60 odd.. and no guide, etc.

Its unfortunate.. but the only way to go 😞
(generally i understand why they stoped carying, etc the SD boxes.. while yes there are people still without HD TVs out there still.. the % is getting smaller and smaller. MOST tvs being HD, etc.. and yes while not EVERYONE cares.. most people do want HD quality (heck, they complain that rogers HD is not HD enough!))

And its nothing escapable from..  durring the whole 'analog' removal.. the number of people who were like "This is bull roar, forget this, i am switching to bell!" Getting angry at rogers over it..  switching to bell will do what?  Either form of TV from bell, requires a box... heck, satalite has ALWAYS required a box.. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Gdkitty.

I got a digital adapter from Rogers (no charge) and am using this in the interim.

You are right, I can get a used HD Pvr online for around the same price as this outdated SD box. The problem is the size of the box. This TV is in my kitchen with very limited shelf space. I will try some local Rogers stores to see if I can find one of these smaller SD boxes.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

At one time you could buy refurbished discontinued PVRs from Rogers Shopping Channel, but I don't see any right now. If Rogers has any, I expect they'd be reserved for replacing rentals that go bad and owned boxes in warranty. Since introducing the Nextboxes, Rogers has been pushing them heavily and probably can't wait for all the older boxes to die so customers have to upgrade to more lucrative plans. The Rogers site still has a page to order a Digital Adapter here and there's no indication that it's not "free".  In fact, the adapters are owned by Rogers and valued at $50, so if you leave Rogers you have to return them or pay $50 each.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario