Scientific Atlanta E940 Box - No Power

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Scientific Atlanta E940 Box - No Power

I think you can still get them in some of the stores.. if they have stock, etc.. but online, yeah they seem to be gone 😞

If you only watch a few BASIC channels in that spot (the 1-60 range) the free DTAs are a good option.. but only say if you watch the news, etc only in that location.

With with probably 85%+ channels all in HD now.. i can understand them trying to move away from even needing the SD boxes.. but they still need to make them available, for people with older CRT non widescreen TVs and the like.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Good day,

I ve made it work by chaning 2 capacitors in the power supply. Using a voltmeter, power was at 8.1v and it is supposed to be at 8.2 v as specs required. I ve found on the internet the culprit: Chinese capacitors. Long story short, Chinese put on the electronic market capacitors that did not had a long life expectancy. I had the same problem on a PC mother board refusing to power up and same problem on a viewsonic 32 inc LCD TV. It is easy to recognise them, the head of the capacitor is not flat anymore.  Like this one: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/3guk/2010-02-28_154321_badCapSm.jpg

They are actually the same shape.

So using a scredriver crack open the power supply. You cannot remove the board from the case you will have to bend the case to access the 2 capacitors (near the power cord). Those are 2,  16V 1000 micro farads, plus is outward, minus inward the board. Be careful when desoldering not to burn the surface mounted resistor close to one. I ve payed 3 $CAN for 10 capacitors at the electronic store. 

Good luck.

Of course you will void warranty and you will have to do it at your own risk, it was worth trying that.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Chinese capacitors, the story from what I remember reading:  Japanese engineer steals the designs/plans for capacitors and goes to China to strike it rich.  Chinese company produces said capacitors, but, didn't get it exactly right.  End result, millions of failing capacitors in numerous products built by many companies.  I have a few monitors that fall into that category.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ironsun, just got back from vacation to find my E940 dead, likely from a power surge. Do you have any extra units you want to sell?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is the unit a rental or not?

If its a rental, they SHOULD be able to swap it around, assuming they do have stock.
They may not give out normally anymore.. but may have some still in stock.  I would check around at your local rogers stores.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks GDkitty. Unfortunately I own the box. I believe the power cable is still good if anyone out there has an extra box that still works. Unit won't power on with green light. Tried different electrical out, different cable, different remote and resetting box, none of which worked.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah poop 😞

May be worth still calling around to some of the local stores.. may still have some units left? Worth a shot at least.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know it might might be worth a try but ask a Rogers store if they can test your Cable Box tell them u think the hydro adaptor may be faulty.  My godfather had this happen to his and was not in warranty and the store didn't ask any questions and simply OTC'd the hydro adapter only, it was a straight swap as a good will gesture too, no paper work. 

A lot of people assume the cable box is dead and end up being forced to buy/rent a new one. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dogrockit I see a couple of E490 boxes on Kijiji for $75/$80 in the GTA.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats actually kinda pricy I think. I paid $40 for a new one years ago complete with a warranty. Try not to spend more than $20-40ish