Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 on new Rogers Express?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 on new Rogers Express?

At my parent's house, they've been grand-fathered in from an Extreme account years back.  I installed a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 modem for them, and it's been working great (can get up to 28Mbps no problem).

I just recently ordered Rogers Express at my place, and they gave me the Cisco Docsis 3 modem/router, but I wanted to get my own modem to avoid the $7 rental fee.  So I purchased another DPC2100 on Craigslist thinking that it would work as well.  I called Rogers Tech Support today to get the MAC address registered, but they told me that their new Express service no longer supports the Docsis 2 modems.

Is that entirely accurate, or is there a work-around for it?  Thanks in advance!

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 on new Rogers Express?

It is not that Express does not support a D2 modem since many customers, like your parents, are still using D2 modems on grandfathered plans. It is quite simple. Rogers has now made it a requirement that all new customers are required to use a D3 modem and only a D3 modem authorized by Rogers. It is a pity, but that is their policy. 

Also, even if they would allow you to use a DPC2100, the fact that you purchased it on craigslist could present another problem. If the serial number is not in the Roger's database, they will not authorize it. So, if you decide to go back to craigslist and purchase yourself a D3 modem in order to avoid the $7 rental charge, you will need to make sure that it is a modem authorized by Rogers and that the serial number is in their database. While some customers have been successful in getting a third-party modem authorized, it is not likely going to happen without going through a lot of hoops.

There are numerous threads on here discussing the various D3 modems, the problems with them (extremely poor wireless) and the possibility of using third party modems. Have a browse through but I don't think you will like what you find! Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IHR pretty much hit all the key points.
To allow some newer things, etc, they want to go with the D3 based technology.. that part i can understand.
The limiting of only the gateways, and not the seperate modems, etc... well thats a whole other argument.. just ask IHR Smiley Happy

If you are going to purchase a gateway outright from a 3rd party source, like IHR said, best thing to do, would be to buy one from someone who bought it already FROM rogers, you know it would be in the database.

As from the other threads that IHR talked about, you would most likely want to switch one of these to BRIDGED mode, efectively turning them into a modem only.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Again as the op stated, someone else likely won't be able to have this added into their account now unfortunately.