cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm considering switching to the new Nextbox 3.0 but I have a number of shows recorded on my existing PVR that I don't want to lose.  Is there a way I can save them to an external hard drive so I can watch them at a later date?  I'm not tech-savvy so any solution would need to be relatively simple - or at least explained in simple terms.

The box I have currently is the Explorer 8642 HD PVR, just in case it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

***Edited labels***

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Your recordings are encrypted and can only be played back on the Rogers equipment they were recorded on. You do not "own" them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The one advantage with Bell (Satellite, not Fibe) is that you're allowed to archive to an eHDD. This eHDD can then be "read" by a new similar PVR - for example 9XXX series on Bell Satellite.  Most providers do not offer this.  Of course you still need to remain with the current provider as the recordings are encrypted and cannot be read by say a computer.  Also you can't use the eHDD with a 6XXX if it was previously used on a 9XXX and vice versa.

The only way to truly archive is via an Hauppauge using component video connections (analogue hole) and HTPC in real time.

The other thing that people need to realize is that most issues are not due to problems with their PVRs, but rather the signal coming into their home or neighbourhood.  It's actually quite rare that the box is the problem.  See:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

In addition, each provider has advantages and disadvantages, so Bell is not the savior you may think.

Most shows that you would be able to record on your PVR are avail on Rogers on Demand(providing you still subscribe to the channel it was recorded from), and also on the networks website for free under full episodes, all you really need to do is just write down a list of stuff u still want to watch off of your PVR, then go to either of these to watch your list. You can also search the guide for repeats of the shows as well for rerecording as an alternative sorce.

gizmo59
I've Been Here Awhile

Most on demand stuff is only available for a very limited amount of time. CTV shows are only available for 3 weeks, Global keeps some shows till August. 

There was a power blip at my place and my 9865 PVR went into Er:51.  I had over 100 recordings on it.  Tech support said they couldn't fix it.  I own this box...do not rent.  I rented a new 9865 PVR.  It was suggested to me to put the old drive into a HDD enclosure and see if I can access the recordings from there.  Bought the USB enclosure and put the drive in it.  Attached it to my PVR via the USB port and got the message asking if I wanted to format the drive so I could use it.  I don't want to wipe out my recordings.....if they are still there.  Any suggestions as to what I do now?  I really want to see if I can access these recordings.