Saving and Extending PVR (NEXT BOX 3.0)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Saving and Extending PVR (NEXT BOX 3.0)

Hello,

I have Next Box 3.0 and I record movies I want to keep on my PVR. 

1.I will run out of space soon.

How and where could I get a USER FRIENDLY PVR extender (I have to get everything online).

I was told by several Roger's technicians that if the box was swapped I would lose all of the PVR recordings.

Is there ANY way to avoid this?

There is another box downstairs (without the recording capabilities) - Is there any way to save videos there?

(Would the extender save movies?)

I am in Toronto and the cable has been cutting out since yesterday.

THANK YOU!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Saving and Extending PVR (NEXT BOX 3.0)

I'm surprised you're running out of storage space on the NB3. It actually compresses saved shows to give more space. Are you hoarding more recordings than you'll ever find time to watch? There is an extender available so you can record even more shows.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you recorded like EVERY movie and didnt delete.. maybe yeah i could see it filling up.

But a PVR, was never meant to be a storage place INDEFINATELY.. more to keep till you watch, then delete, etc.
Yes, if you ever had to bring in the box, you would loose anything.

There really is no way to EASILLY remove them... there are a few ways via some computer equipment.. but take a fair bit of work, and have to record LIVE while playing back, etc.

(technically, you dont own the rights to the stuff thats recorded.  You have the rights to watch it.. the pvr extendeds this a bit, allowing you to watch at a different time than the airing.. but you dont OWN them per say).

An extender, will not really allow you to pull them, copy them, move them.. but will at least extend your storage.

For an extender.. it appears they have stopped carying the OFFICIAL extender from rogers.
(they expect i think with the NB3 that people wont need more)
But i can tell you that an extender DOES work on the NB3, i have one right now 🙂 

As for WHAT you will need you would have to buy 3rd party...  what you want to look for is:

- External Hard Drive.

- NOT the smaller laptop size 2.5".. you want a FULL size one.

- You can find some that say they are listed FOR PVR/DVR

- Needs to have an eSATA connection on it.

(might have to look at a seperate hard drive and external case, sold seperately.)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I know that with my SA8300HD I can copy saved movies to my DVDR. Not so sure about the NB3. If it can be done, it's more complicated. In any case, the copying takes place real time, although in the background, Also, DVD recordings are SD and I don't even know if Blueray recorders exist.

Today with Netflix, Shomi and all the movies available on the Internet, there's little purpose in saving everything you might want to watch someday. My PVR is less than 1/3 full. I have a couple of classic movies and a couple of Austin City Limits saved that I'd like to watch again, but generally, I watch everything I record within a couple of days and then delete it. Once you start recording and saving stuff you might watch "someday", you're on the slippery slope. I know that's where I am with my computers. It's easier to upgrade to terabyte drives than sort through the junk. Smiley Embarassed

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks - I'd still to be able to see movies that are not on SHOMI at this time.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi and thank you.

I have around 30 movies recorded and 67% full.

They are not on SHOMI.

Also when the cable goes down I can watch the PVR.

Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really the only option for getting them off.. would be to 'record' them via other methods.

Pretty much, playing them LIVE and recording them.

You could do it via a DVR (dvd recorder), but would only be able to record in SD on it likely.

There are some things available via the PC which will record in HD.. (usually via component cables since HDMI carries HDCP), but those often are up to $200.
(for that, you could probably buy most of those movie at walmart in the discount bins, etc 😛 )

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you for replying! I did not get a C.M. notice

I do not care if they are SD ...

Too bad there is no way to copy and paste onto a flash drive? (Like digital cameras).

I wonder if a digital camera could help?

If I really had to swap boxes, I wonder if Rogers could let me to use another PVR while they are changing boxes (Or rent one overnight?)

I am likely best off getting a DVD-recorder which I know zero about and recording off the TV.

I would not even know how large a DVD disc should be or what type (RW?)

Thanks!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Perhaps you can copy data from the PVR hard drive to a flash drive, but it would not be of any use because it's encrypted. Only your Rogers PVR can decript it for playing. Copying to DVD-R takes place in real time, so it's time consuming, but at least it's done in the background so you can continue watching TV or recording something else.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As long as you have enough 'outlets' on your acount still.. you can caryover boxes.

I did that for a bit when the NB3 came out.. got the 3, started recording new on it, while watching the remaining on the NB2.

There are people who have figured way to copy the content, etc.  Problem is its encrypted.  Its designed to be played back on the rogers box ONLY. (helps prevent piracy, etc... to prevent someone from taking the file then uploading etc. to the internet)

As for using the DVD recorder??
They are not overly hard to use generally.  Problem is... you cant REALLY easily record just off the TV.
The DVRs have a tuner in them.. but only ANALOG generally (or if digital, it cant decode the encrypted signal)... so they cant record automatically.  you have to MANUALLY tune your rogers box to the channel, before the time, etc.. to let it record.
REAAAALY not worth it in my opinion.
If anything, use it for recording them after the fact.

Personally.. while i have a DVR, and computer methods of recording it.. I dont.
For the TIME, EFFORT, etc... its really not worth it.
(maybe if there was ONE special thing like a family member on tv, etc)