Samsung captivate sms issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Samsung captivate sms issues

So I just recently received the Samsung captivate, i was expecting a bug with the gps but instead i am having problems with the sending and receiving of sms. When i am having conversation, instead of messages stacking on top of another (for example Bev: hi gil how are you? Gil: i am fantastic, yourself? Bev: me too!!! And so on and so forth) they clump together in groups (Bev: hi gil how are you? Bev: me too!!! Gil: i am fantastic, yourself?) This is extremely annoying as it makes it difficult to follow the conversation, and can become very disorganized. Is this a permanent problem or is there a way to fix it? It's an incredible phone otherwise

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Samsung captivate sms issues

I had the same issue, I fixed it by going into settings, in Date and time, set to manual (select your time zone), save, go back to the home screen, then change it to automatic again.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What timezone are you in?  It's working fine for me (I'm in Toronto, on EST) and Googling around a bit seems to point to similar issues happening with either the Dream or the Magic when Rogers launched those.  And I couldn't find a fix for it either.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, wait - I stand corrected.  Apparently the app called SmsTimeFix (found in the market) will fix this problem.  Note that this isn't an officially supported fix from Rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey all,

I'm having issues with my sms on the Captivate as well. The timeline from my texts are all messed up. The time that I sent them are correct, but all of my received messages have completely wrong times. Because of this, the messages do not cascade down in an easy to read fashion, but instead are stacking on top of each other, so I'm having to scroll up past all of my sent messages to see the ones received.

Also of note, my "caller i.d." on my texts get screwed up. I will send a text to "Person A" and when they reply, it will sometimes say it came from "Person X" from my contact list. Is this because my contacts are saved using my gmail account and not my SIM card/phone memory?

I was wondering if these problems were because I'm working in Thunder Bay right now, but I have a Winnipeg phone number? But now that I'm seeing people with similar problems, I don't think that my location is the problem anymore. If anyone has any info or tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe if enough people speak up about this, Rogers will have an explanation; or better yet, a fix.

Best regards,

purdy44

I've Been Here Awhile

Having the exact same issue. All SMS messages are time-stamped 4 hrs earlier than the actual time. Got in touch with Rogers and they generated a help ticket for me 'as they look into it' but it seems quite obvious to me that this is a similar problem that they experience with other Android phones and a fix is required. Not going to download an app to fix what is obviously an issue between Rogers and the device. Hopefully it happens soon as it's irritating to scroll through and find the new messages.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You're right, it's a problem that's being experienced with all Android 2.1 phones, the internet is full of questions from customers on American carriers. hopefully 2.2 (Froyo) will be released and they will solve the problem
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I would hope that they push out a fix prior to 2.2 being launched as with the previous devices with this issue. Especially if Froyo isn't coming until 2.1.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The app called SmsTimeFix is not a real fix for the problem.  It is more of a patch.  The timestamp on the SMS messages are still off after using this app, but the messages are sorted by the order in which the notification of the SMS message appears.  So although this method will work, if you check the timestamp of the messages coming in, they are still wrong.

I am on the west coast (Vancouver) and my times were all out by 4 hours.  Messages were all timestamped 4 hours earlier than when they were sent/received.

Another option is an app called handcent sms.  This is an ad supported app, to get rid of the ads, install Adfree Android as well.

Update: I have spoken with Rogers tech support about this problem on my Captivate.  The tech support guy walked me through a bunch of steps (all of which I had already tried).  In the end, he told me to take the phone back to the store and exchange it for another one.  The new one does the same thing.  I took another trip back to the store and returned the phone.  On another forum, someone said that incorrect sms timestamps were not a problem, just an annoyance.  For me it was a problem.  Back to the old iPhone 3G for now.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There are a couple of SMS Time Fix apps in the marketplace. Apparently this one is specifically written to solve the Rogers/Fido problem.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/sms-time-fix_cwbe.html
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Has anyone been getting the wrong number or contact show up when they've received a text? I'm using that time fix app, and for the most part it has fixed the timing issue with the texts. However, I'm still occasionally getting the wrong contact/number pop up for conversations. Ex: John Smith texted me hello. I respond to John Smith by asking how things are going. I get a reply saying things are going well, only at the top of the screen it says it's from Chris Richardson, and not John Smith.

Anyone experiencing this bug as well?