Samsung S4 mini SGH-I257: wifi disabled

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Samsung S4 mini SGH-I257: wifi disabled

Any help would be appreciated!

After performing a firmware update through Kies, I've lost option to toggle Wifi on.

When I try and slide the Wifi button to the right, to "enable" it won't stay and bounces back to off.

Before firmware update: Android v4.2.2, build MVLUAMI3

- wifi worked

- default internet access worked

- Google Play did NOT work, couldn't register new or use existing account.

- backup/restore (accepted existing Google account that Google Play rejected)

- Apps could be downloaded through default internet, but could not be found in App window. When attempting to install again, messages indicate App is already installed.

(Support notes: tried factory reset numerous times without results).

After firmware update: Android 4.2.2, build MVLUAMK5

- wifi can't be turned on

- default internet access doesn't work

- Google Play doesn't work

(Support notes:

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Samsung S4 mini SGH-I257: wifi disabled

Solution update: as my phone is still under warranty, I had three options available.

a. Roger's support:

- repair service: will be without phone for an undetermined timeframe (they send out).
- replacement or refurb fee: applicable cost is approx. $120
Action: did not pursue

b. Authorized Samsung repair centres:

- A big box retail chain in Richmond Hill location does not do onsite repairs. They will send out.
- A computer retail chain in Vaughan will accept and fix onsite if they can. If they cannot repair onsite, they will send out. Approx. timeframe 1-2 weeks, with no loaner phone available.

Action: did not pursue

c. Samsung service, Mississauga

- Walkin service, first-come, first-served

Action: took this route, problem was diagnosed and fixed.

Approx. timeframe: half a day, gas and 407 toll charge.

Problem: Wifi lock caused by Kies firmware update (seems to be more common with Kies Air), known issue.

Solution: flashed ROM and all is back to normal.

Suggestion: arrive early and be prepard for a long wait. Checkin immediately upon arrival to get your queue ticket. Do not bring kids, limited seating, no restroom facilities but there are local establishments close by.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello workingmom

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the device to see if that fixes it? Sometimes doing that should fix it.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks Meomix.

Yes, I have tried shutting down, removing the battery, performed a factory reset many times and have done a hardset back to firmware Android v4.2.2, build MVLUAMI3, with no positive results.

I had wifi before the firmware update, so am I wrong to think there's an App from the update that is causing the Wifi to stay off? I don't know enough about Android to begin messing around with disabling or forcing the apps to stop. The weird thing is, before the firmware update I had wifi but GooglePlay wasn't working properly (thus the reason I tried a firmware update).

On build MI3 GooglePlay wouldn't accept my Google credentials within the App. I could download an App from the default internet, but I couldn't find the App once it was downloaded.

Any thoughts?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello workingmom

When you click on the WiFi icon, long hold onto it until it brings u the WiFi Settings. Press the menu button on the device and it will say Advance. Once there see if it Keep WiFi on during sleep Is on Always on. If not change it to that. Also there is Auto network switch setting. Make sure that's not click or has a check mark on it.

If that doesn't work, i would suggest contacting Rogers tech support and see if they can send you out a replacement S4 mini and u can send urs bsck. Maybe its the phone that is causing this.

The app should be in the drawer. Click on the little square icon on the right hand side to access the apps. See if it's there.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks againi Meomix, you've provided great recommendations.

Unfortunately, I've already tried the >Advanced >Keep Wifi on during sleep >Always setting, without success.

The >Advanced >Auto Network Switch is grayed out, and not available for turning on.

I tried the >Advanced >Wifi timer, to try and turn Wifi on, but that didn't make a difference.

The Rogers App Zone is there, but not fully functional because it's asking for a Google account and for wifi to be enabled. 😞

I might try Rogers directly, but from what I read they will charge me $120 for a replacement even if it's under warranty (which it is).

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello workingmom

That may be the only option you have at the moment. 😞 they do have a replacement program via Tech support which they send you the same device but a refurbished one for $35 added on you bill. This is the same device but refurbished one. Once you receive it, u have 15 days to send yours back.

You can do that or via the replacement which offers you it for $120+ tax. Its totally up to u.

I hope it gets fixed or if u get a replacement device, it works!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@workingmom 

May I ask you why you updated your firmware?  I updated my S2 and it slowed the phone down noticeably.  I now wait a few weeks before I attempt any update.  Need to see if anyone reports any issues Been burned too many times.Smiley Mad

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Samsvoc

The OP updated the software based as it popped up and did the update. Some none techy like us do not really care about upgrades / what is wrong with it as long as the phone works before. That's the the problem tho. I don't even look to see if the update is bad or not and i still do it risking any problems i may have. In the end, if u have problems, either find a way of fixing it or get another device that that same one as a replacement.

I haven't heard anyone having this issue tho.  So it could just be a issue with that device or a small handful device. Its always good to upgrade your phone.  Never leave the phone without upgrading it unless it damages the phone completely. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Update:
I haven't been to Roger's yet but I called Samsung techsupport, and they encourage me to put in a Service Request.
They suspect it's a hardware issue. As the phone is still under warranty it looks like my best option is to make a visit to the walk-iin Service Centre in Mississauga.

Interesting bit of info recovered while Googling "Samsung S4 mini wifi disabled". There seems to be a known issue with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and dropped wifi connections. There are a number of variations on how this affects wifi connectivity, some involve a DLink Router, others are identical to mine with Wifi that cannot be toggled on.

Unfortunately, home remedies suggest rooting the phone (for which I am not comfortable with) for outstanding results. I haven't come across any solutions for non-rooting/flashing specifically for the S4 mini.

Will continue looking online for solution, and will trek out to Samsung and see what they have to say...

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello workingmom

I wouldn't root the device just to have outstanding results... I did hear the S4 having issues but though this hasn't a issue with the S4 mini.

Try going to Samsung Service center and see what they can do for u. Hopefully this gets resolved.