I thought I'd post a little tutorial for those about to update their Galaxy S4's to Lollipop .... the whole process took about 45 minutes not including the time to download the update.
1. Update your apps and then backup your device (I didn't backup .... never had an issue with an update and there is nothing important on my phone that hadn't already been backed up to my phone. You will need 3GB free space on the onboard storage so moce videos and photos to your computer if you need to free up space or move large apps to the SD card if you haven't done so already.
2. Connect your phone to your charger ... the update process will easily use 25% of your battery.
3. Download the software update. The file is just under 1 GB but took 2.5 hours to download on a day connection .... I'm assuming the servers were slow. To start the download head to settings --> More --> About Device --> Update Software
Go get a coffee, the download will take a while.
4. Once the download completes you will be prompted with the typical info about updating and once you accept it the phone will reboot and the update process will start. You'll see the progress but it still take a while once it hits 100%. The process took about 20 minutes for me.
5. The phone will reboot again and you'll get a new style of the Samsung logo on boot. The first reboot takes a while, be patient, just when you think there's something wrong the screen will change to a box showing Android updating apps - mine has to update 161 apps. The whole process from reboot took another 20 minutes.
6. Once the apps are updated for Lollipop the office will load to the home screen. The first thing that needs done is updating Google Play Services - you'll get a pop-up and warning notification. I had a problem with this step. It took a couple times of trying because the download hung at 11 MB of the 35 Mb. I stored the download and restarted it. Once Play Services finally installs the phone will restart again.
7. You should be good to go from here ... you'll be prompted to log in to tie your phone to your Facebook account and you might want to change your keyboard back (I prefer the Holo Blue Google keyboard). The Settings button is now found in the quick access drop down ... the gear icon in the top left.
I hope that helps someone and just remember .... be patient!
Hi @JayPoel , Great post! This is very informative.
I am sure this will serve valuable to many Galaxy users looking to complete the Lollipop update. Lol after step 3 “Go get a coffee, the download will take a while”
Does anyone else in the community have anything they would like to add? Maybe something that was overlooked?
Thanks again for the information @JayPoel
I did a successful update to Lollipop on my Samsung Galaxy S4.
One error I noticed - for keypad contacts. When I press a number - I get an error message "USDD code running". "Unknown Application."
I am unable to use my keypad Contacts. I have to select the phone number again - and dial it for it to work.
Has anyone seen same error?
Any fixes to resolve my error?
Kind regards, Anita
the only thing I have missing is my gear icon in the upper left notification screen otherwise all seems to be ok. the S4 seems to be faster and the battery life appears to last longer.
For some reason I still dont have get update when I check for a software update on my phone .
dont know why ? maybe later in the day or tomorrow ?
full disclousre, I have the international GT19505 and I bought it from Dubai, I was there at the time and I bought it on the spot. I dont think this should affect anything thou as I have gotten updates with other roger users before