cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Note 3?

Andrew250
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Rogers!

Samsung's latest rendition of it's Note Series, the Note 3, is rumored to be release September 4th.  When will us lonely Canadians get it?

Regards,

Andy

***edited labels***

866 REPLIES 866

Re: Samsung Note 3?

TheyCallMeDoug
I Plan to Stick Around

A while back I said I'd let the message board know how things went with Note 3, and using the "SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I".  The concern was that it's slower speeds might impact performace.

I did NOT do rigorous testing, but here's what I found:

1. The "Ultra" cards quote a speed of 30 MB/s. But it's important to note that they DO NOT quote a speed for writing. The 30 is only quoted for Read Speeds.  Other sites (non-SanDisk) pointed out that the standard for that technology is that it must perform at "at least" 10 MB/s write speed. So it is believed that the "Ultra" cards write at 10 MB/s. ("or better")
  2. In my test, the 4K video wrote to the card at a rate of just under 6 MB/second. So assuming this is a fairly standard bit rate, the Ultra cards "should" be able to handle the 4K video.   I didn't test this extensively.
  3. I would imagine that writing 4K video is a "spikey" operation, meaning that sometimes it'll write more data than at other times. So I suspect that this implies that it might want to write faster than the 10MB/s from time to time. (completely unconfirmed)   Did Samsung expect this, and buffer the data internally before writing it to the card? If so, then, again, it "should" be good.  (my test was smooth)
  4. When the camera takes single shots, they get written to the card. But when the camera takes burst shots, they always get written to the internal memory. (I think I read that somewhere.)  So the contern is that the camera  might not be able to take a lot of sequential shots in a row is a valid concern. But the "burst mode" shots are probably not a concern.

Here's the thing... without having a faster microSD card to test against, I can't say if the speed of the camera is limited by the card. (logically)

So I would conclude this:

1. My Note 3 has worked well with the "SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I" card so far. 
  2. I suspect this card is on the edge of limiting the phone's capabilities.
  3. I don't know which side of that "edge" it falls on.
  4. If you are concerned about being able to perform at the fastest speeds possible, then get a faster card!
  5. I'm happy with my phone+card so far, and I will not be returning my "Ultra" card for a faster one at this time.

I hope that helps people!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello SwordFish99

I am too but when i close the music player & start it up again, it works just fine.

slipp
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello All,

Maybe I am halucinating but maybe someone can confirm or deny this for me but wasn't the Note 3 going for 299.00 plus a 50 dollar rebate bringing it to 249 on a 2 year contract?

My hardware upgrade is indicating that it is now 349 plus 50 dollar rebate.

Thx

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello slipp

When did you get the device? If it was from yesterday, Rogers raised the price to $299.99 from $249.99 it was. the $249.99 price was a promotion when it first came out.

slipp
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Meowmix,

Thx for clarifying because I could of swore that I saw it for 299 plus 50 off.

To be honest I was on the phone with Rogers looking to do my hardware upgrade until I heard 349 plus 50 off !!! Smiley Surprised

I kinda backed off and wanted to confirm before going ahead with it. Kinda sucks though. I think I will wait it out until it drops down a bit in price (I also have 160 bucks to dish out for my early cancellation fees) so as you can see it all adds up to quite a bit and that 50 bucks makes a difference.

I think I'll hang on to my ILag 4....i mean Iphone 4

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello slipp

Best Buy and Future shop have it for $249.99 but its for new customers only unless somehow they let it go threw for that price. I know i got it on Friday at launch for $249.99 but within the next couple of days Rogers changed it to $299.99

Roglebo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi!

I tested speed of Rogers LTE network with my Galaxy Note 3.

I got 115 mbps inside Laurier shopping center in Sainte-Foy, Québec.

See detailed tests :

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28733597-Vitesse-du-reseau-LTE-de-Rogers

Bonne fin de semaine!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Rogerlebo

Yea i got around 140 mbps last night downtown toronto

Roglebo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Meowmix!

Wow! For sure, your speed is the highest on Rogers LTE network.

Were you inside or outside?

Jtull
I've Been Here Awhile
Hallo all, Note 3 seems to be a good buy but has anyone experienced wi fi connection dropping issues?

Thanks in advance

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Jtull

Nope not at all

Jtull
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks for the reply!

No wi fi issues at all?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Jtull

Nope, none at all! Mine works just fine

Jtull
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks Meowmix !

aml
I've Been Here Awhile
Hey Jtull,

I had that problem at first but I think I fixed it: go to your wifi settings and press the menu button, then advanced settings. Make sure "Auto Network Switch" is unchecked. Mine hasn't dropped since. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello aml

That how mine was from the start!

nicholaschum
I've Been Around

Anyone here experiencing some compass issues? Always need to recalibrate or reboot to get the compass ligning up precisely? I've checked a few Rogers demo units, and they have this issue. Sometimes when I fire a compass app up it gets stuck on a pole and moves left or right, but when I rotate my device on like a 75 degree turn, it will go crazy and then lign itself up to a different pole.

A reboot usually fixes this, but when I'm in a car, sometimes it doesnt line up correctly, is there a lot of magnetic interference in Canada?

cvbdbd
I've Been Around
i ordered mine on Oct 3rd, im STILL 16th on the waitlist and havent moved up in the past 3 days, so frustrating!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello cvbdbd

It wont move until sometime after Tuesday.. Yesterday, today and tomorrow they are closed for long weekend.

jessebuch1999
I Plan to Stick Around

I am so upset. My note 3 s pen is moving the screen when not even touching. Looked it up and said to tighten something in the spen which I did. still didnt work,

**edited for content**

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello jessebuch1999

Hmm mine works just fine. No issues like that with my S-pen