cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy SII LTE - Ice Cream Sandwich

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Our phones are officially called the SGH-i727R. The AT&T version is SGH-i727. They are identical in terms of hardware. on AT&T it's called a Skyrocket.

Now that that is taken care of, there is a leaked ICS ROM for the Skyrocket out. It works but is laggy. They're working on that. What does this mean? By Saturday we could have an ICS ROM that works on our phones no problem. This will require you to root your phone. This isn't something that you should do if you do not feel confident in your ability to read.

This post is just a heads up.

**edited for content**

******* Edit labels ********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Samsung Galaxy SII LTE - Ice Cream Sandwich

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the heads up.

This can void the warranty tho & also can cause the hardware to fail ( in some cases it does this). Do this on your own risk & you can not blame anyone but your self if the phone damages in anyway.

Also remember you need to read the instructions & also do this if you know how to root a phone. Do not root the phone if you have NO knowledge of it.

Overall i might do this on my friends S2 LTE. Ill post how it goes once i do it later tomorrow OR sat.

View solution in original post

93 REPLIES 93

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the heads up.

This can void the warranty tho & also can cause the hardware to fail ( in some cases it does this). Do this on your own risk & you can not blame anyone but your self if the phone damages in anyway.

Also remember you need to read the instructions & also do this if you know how to root a phone. Do not root the phone if you have NO knowledge of it.

Overall i might do this on my friends S2 LTE. Ill post how it goes once i do it later tomorrow OR sat.

mbazdell

Rooting your phone and flashing doesn't void your warranty. Your warranty is for hardware defects which isn't software related. Now if your phone ends up getting bricked, it's up to Rogers to fix it for you. When they're bricked it can usually be unbricked with a JTAG adapter which does void the warranty.

So if you just flash other roms onto your phone and the screen suddenly dies, or the memory no longer works, etc, you're covered. It's pretty hit and miss with bricked phones though.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I know but also Rogers does not cover phones with different ROMS in them you know. Lets say you have a problem with your phone & you need to send it in, Once the Rogers tech reps see the different ROM, They will just ship it back to you due to different ROM in it. So it does void the warranty. Call & ask they will tell you the same. This is why they tell you to keep the Rogers rom instead. Because if anything happens to the phone while you have flashed the phone or rooted it, the warranty does not work. This is what i was told from over 13 tech support agents & Samsung Canada reps over the phone.

If the phone bricks while you add the rom or it bricks right after then you are done then. Rogers nor Samsung will replace it.

mbazdell

Well I would suggest those 13 techs you spoke to are incorrect. I have replaced about 5 Android phones with the standard Rogers warranty, all with custom ROMs. **bleep** one even had the AT&T boot screen. As long as the problem is hardware related and not software they will handle it. I have never had any problems nor have friends who have done the same thing.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I believe they are not lying. Yes you could have done it, but it does not mean everyone that roots their phone will not void the warranty. They are actually saying the truth from what i am reading on over 25 pages threw google on every search i do. You should read this straight from Rogers...

"Why does “rooting” an Android device void its warranty?

Rooting is when you wipe your handset clean of its existing operating system and install a new version. The problem with rooting is that handset manufacturers install and customize the OS to work specifically with their device so clearing it may make some features and functionality not work correctly. Furthermore, all handsets sold by Rogers are verified to work on our network before giving them to customers. In turn, it’s impossible for us to troubleshoot or provide technical assistance on a device that is no longer in line with that verification. That, in a nutshell, is why rooting voids the warranty of Rogers-purchased devices."

http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/redboard%E2%80%99s-faaq-frequently-asked-android-questions/

&

"One of the potential downsides to rooting is some phone makers consider it to be "modifying" the phone, which may void the warranty. However, if the phone is un-rooted before the user tries to use his or her warranty, there is no easy way for the warranty provider to know that the phone was previously rooted. The term "bricking" is used to describe a device which has had its software modified improperly to the point where it is no longer functionin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_%28Android_OS%29

&

http://androidforums.com/a70-all-things-root/458083-does-installing-custom-rom-void-my-warranty.html

mbazdell

Rooting doesn't mean flashing a new ROM. You can root your device and still have a Rogers ROM on it. Unfortunately none of those sources are Rogers policy. Rogers policy is found on Rogers.com or your bill. There are many instances when a new ROM will prevent the phone from functioning properly, and it's important to know that. If a ROM has a bad touchscreen driver, your screen wont work. If you don't have a Rogers ROM (rooted or not) It's very hard for the support to determine if the ROM is the problem or the hardware. If they are unable to, they will send it back. If they can prove there is a problem with the hardware, they will replace it.

Again, there is no official Rogers policy on rooting/flashing voiding your hardware.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Point taken BUT Rogers has confirmed that it does tho threw Rogers RedBoard Forums.

"Rooting is when you wipe your handset clean of its existing operating system and install a new version. The problem with rooting is that handset manufacturers install and customize the OS to work specifically with their device so clearing it may make some features and functionality not work correctly. Furthermore, all handsets sold by Rogers are verified to work on our network before giving them to customers. In turn, it’s impossible for us to troubleshoot or provide technical assistance on a device that is no longer in line with that verification. That, in a nutshell, is why rooting voids the warranty of Rogers-purchased devices.""

So you are telling me those Rogers mods are lying?.... They are saying that if you root the phone, you will void the warranty. Straight from Rogers them selfs. So really i do not know who to believe seeing as the carrier wrote that & yet most people on google are saying it does..

Anyways seeing as i provided links & proof it does i will not agrue anymore. I have read others post on how it does not void the warranty but most people comment saying it does & then in fact it does right after they notice it. I Just want to let everyone know tho. Be carefull when rooting your device. Yes its amazing to root it with different ROMs but it comes with risks. Do it on your own RIsk. I love rooting phones i really do but i do not do it on phones i just bought from Rogers when it still has warranty.

mbazdell
"Rooting is when you wipe your handset clean of its existing operating system and install a new version."

Yes I would say they are wrong. That is not what rooting is. That's why it's not on Rogers.com as customer policy. Perhaps you should read the wikipedia link you posted. You can root a device without changing the operating system. It has nothing to do with the ROM. Rooting is gaining access to the root user. That is all rooting is.

shaggyskunk
Rooting your phone actually means, getting root access. In the pc world that is the same as having ADMINISTRATOR privileges. You are basically just unlocking your permissions to the software on the phone.. Nothing more.
It's what you do from there, that can get you into trouble..

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

& Maybe you should read the ". That, in a nutshell, is why rooting voids the warranty of Rogers-purchased devices."" They are from Rogers.

They are not lying at all. IF they are lying they would have taken it down or re edited it. Take it the way you want too. I am just giving a warning to everyone. IF you wish not to listen & claim you know best so be it. All the stuff i am saying is taken from people that have said it & wrote it down on about 30+ pages now that i have been reading. Calling Rogers tech support for Android also confirmed it does. ( Spoke to the floor Manager which left a note on the account saying it does.) So all in all if they are really lying then i guess they need to really think before they say anything. If you are giving the wrong info then you should do the same i guess.

Yes shaggy i know but the fact that Rogers them selfs & also if you read many pages on google when people ask about it, people respond with yes it does. So all in all i am just giving a fair warning to who ever does it. Do it on your own risk. Its the same thing when jailbreaking the iPhone. When you go to download the jailbreak they even tell you it can cause the phone to either get bricked or have problems. Thus that is why Apple does not accept jailbroken iPhones. It is the same process. Calling Samsung told me the same as well.

shaggyskunk
I'm not debating your views Meow, only explaining what rooting actually means. 😉

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
lol i know bro 😛

mbazdell

To be clear, I never said they were lying. Lying implies intention to mislead. I said they were wrong. Rogers employees constantly provide incorrect information through their call centers, forums, Twitter, etc. so it's no surprise they may convey something they believe to be true, but isn't. Until it's an official policy saying that rooting or flashing will void your warranty, you are free to do so, though you may have to educate the techs or reps on their own policies, which is something I find myself doing quite often.

As mentioned before, this policy will be found on Rogers.com with the Terms of Service, your bill, or any documentation that is included with your phone's original packaging.

mbazdell

So I put it on this morning, and after removing all the AT&T bloat, it's pretty sweet. No bugs and no lag. ICS is great.

So...where is it, Rogers?  LET'S GO ALREADY.

NewKID
I Plan to Stick Around

https://plus.google.com/104629412415657030658/posts

they just announced that its coming out to more devices. i have a feeling our dreams are coming true.

mbazdell

At this rate, it will probably come out to AT&T first and shortly after to Rogers. However, I'm already running it with the AT&T leak. It's great.

shaggyskunk
mbazdell, which one did you use? The zips thus far, all seem to have at least one bug.. Facelock, baseband, market, bootloops, calls going to vm etc. So far I've seen three different versions of the leak..

mbazdell

That's the one I'm using. Using the UCLA3 modem it seems to work great.

**edited for content**

shaggyskunk
Thanks mbazdell. Your not having any of the issues I gather.. Good!
Topic Stats