cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around

It took a Rogers represntative 5 months to post once. They are thinking very carefully before posting here. Planning for 5 months to come up with an excuse to not post the update for the next 5 months as well. 

i agree please provide more clarity. 

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
I don't see how anyone could make excuses for Roger's lack of support on this issue. They could have released Marshmallow months ago but instead choose to ignore all S6 owners with the major security and performance updates it provides.

Delaying the release months just to add one feature is negligence.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @rzanatta

Its not negligence. The fact that they needed to add that and wanted to add the recent security update they are doing it all at once. This way it's easier for their developers as well. If you think this is bad, check Motorola which won't be releasing monthly updates for their security.

Anyways at this point Rogers made a statement saying it will come. So now it's just a waiting game I see it.

Alas, seem Rogers is afraid to respond to the ire of their subscribers. This issue is not resolved by a Coming Soon notification. That is now 3 months late while Google preps Nougat and Samsung likely readies for release in 6-9 months. Canada's major carriers and sub-brands delivered this upgrade and it works. If any VOLTE, Wi-Fi service is implement updates will follow.

Not going to flash a "competent" carrier ROM onto a phone for multiple reasons the least being all the annoying carrier specif tweaks embedded in the updates. Will be switching carriers at end of August if no official Rogers Communication regarding update ETA and why the delays. This is not Customer Service!

Step taken

1) Called Rogers. Stand up comedy routine with stuff being made up, not substantiated.

1) CRTC Complaint. They do not deal with hardware yet kind enough to pass on to Rogers. Logged frustration with Executive Escalations to no satisfaction. Again no "clear" reason plus asked Developer Team to channel through whatever department(s) to post message in this forum or blast a message via SMS.

2) Contacted Mobile Syrup regarding error in story - http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/06/16/rogers-begins-rolling-out-android-6-0-1-to-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-...

3) Lambasted Rogers in Google+ on numerous marketing plugs.

4) Will go nuts on Twitter until banned/blocked. Don't subscribe to Facebook.

11 days, my SIM unlocked phone can hopefully be flashed directly by new carrier to get their bloat, junk and services. Have decommissioned my Samsung S6 EDGE that's awaiting it's new user to enjoy outdated device. Bought an unlocked phone which lacks Wi-Fi Calling & VOLTE but will get updates indepedent of whichever carrier keeps or gets my business.

Rogers will no doubt nefariously bill once new services are implemented and working. Sad that an unlocked device outperforms a carrier bloated device on same network. Ran gamut of Rogers enfeebled devices from Sony, HTC to several Samsung since implementation of LTE in London, ON. Not one has have ever delivered anything near bare minimum of LTE speed as stated (Average is 4-7Mbps). Only see those top end speeds (20-75Mbps) in GTA, border crossing towns. Here when big promotions like Skate Canada or anything warranting TV coverage comes to town see the little Rogers wagons with antennas strategically placed where towers likely need deployment. Their neglect, bare minimum coverage in SW Ontario flies in face of coverage map, basic service promises over and above neglecting devices.

The lack of update for costly Samsung S6 EDGE 128GB has simply become tiresome and insulting. It is not deserving of continued subscription to Rogers Communications. Alas, we all know, Canadians pay some of the highest fees in the world for lacking service - unlimited or high volume data at reasonable prices? NOPE!

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @rzanatta

Its not negligence. The fact that they needed to add that and wanted to add the recent security update they are doing it all at once. This way it's easier for their developers as well. If you think this is bad, check Motorola which won't be releasing monthly updates for their security.

Anyways at this point Rogers made a statement saying it will come. So now it's just a waiting game I see it.

You can't be serious.  You think "it will come" after it being delayed months and months and every other place having this update out ages ago is enough to justify it?  Common.  I even thought you've been around long enough to know that isn't the case.  What's already happened is what everyone is talking about.  Every day longer it takes is just adding insult to injury.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @user4242

I am upset with Rogers for delaying the update as well as one of my family members has the S6 edge. I am pretty sure they will release it within some time. Again none of us know what is really going on and no point of trying to argue about it on here. The Mods don't know much information just like we do. They get it from the back office and only then are allowed to post the information. They go by what they get. So posting on here and being rude to the Mods ( as i have seen by other users) won't help anything.

Other carriers again have released the update and yes Rogers is last but seeing the big issue on WiFi Calling released on the S7 edge and S7 I wonder maybe the update is having issues due to that and most likely is. Most likely they wanted to wait until all this is done and do it in one shot. Again the information RogersDarrell gave was the information he got. They won't give out a date or any other information unless the developers or back office gives them the information and green light.

Just switched to bell after 16 years with Rogers, tired of the terrible reception and lack of updates.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
You're lucky your contract is over.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around

Another thing that blows me away is that whenever you call Rogers to complain about this issue, regardless of which department and who you speak to, and you mention that there are a bunch of people complaining about this in the forums. They will tell you: "Well, I never heard anyone complain here, so you must be lying," (not exactly this, but basically).  It boggles me that Rogers is just looking over this and are like pfft, no big deal. For me to buy out of my contract for my business plan I need to pay about $1,200. I just want to leave, keep my number and avoid paying. But how?

@user4242
Still surprised they were marked that high. Their negligence to provide us with the update is one of the many issues that they have struggled with providing to us. We just want Premium Service, for the Premium Device we bought, and for the Premium Price we pay. How can that not make sense?

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
I did the same after twenty years but then made the mistake of returning. I thought things might have improved, but in every aspect of customer service it's worse; this update issue is indicative of it.

The switch back hasn't been worth the small money saved. Never again.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
@rzanatta
I came with that same expectation. This update is a disapointment. The fact the the S5 got it before the S6 is just plain nonsense.

It's the middle of August. No update. Enough with the propaganda and excuses. This will be my last Rogers phone, this is ridiculous.

Actually, I could switch tonight and get the update. It's now August and Rogers has dropped the ball and upset a lot of people.

You said it brother. Switching to my spouses carrier. Rogers has such poor service.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Arkdom & @user4242

They are deleting the posts which have no information or talking about the update for the S6 edge. Talking about other things like leaving Rogers or talking about another carrier is being removed as its not on topic ( Meaning that its not about the S6 edge update). If any posts are not on topic, they tend to be removed. Its not because they do not like them. Some of mine on other threads or my own have been removed because of the same reason.

Thus is what i see the reason to be.

Time to move to reddit where we are not censored.  See what you've done rogers by not controlling a conversation?  Now you won't be able to control it at all.

RAL69
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @Meowmix,

You know Rogers dropped the ball on this one once again.  For a person with your smarts and knowledge you should be the first person in line to complain to the CRTC instead of defending Rogers.  You should be asking Rogers questions on why they will not release security/OS updates or why they will not address the 1000s of user who are waiting for the updates for months now.  Why no dates???  Instead of "COMING SOON"???

I bileve, the main reason, they are not releasing updates is because of the new WIFI calling feature.  Rogers is trying to implement their version so it is not given out for free and Rogers will try to squeeze some profit out of it somehow.  Will not be surprised if they charge for it sometime in the future.  This is a new nice to have feature not a must have feature.  Rogers could have rolled out the security/OS/bloatware update first then work on integrating their version of WIFI calling at a future date.

You don't have to implement everything at one time.  New features and fixes are being released every few days.  If you take that strategy you will never get anything released.  Marshmallow 6.0.1 is buggy and Samsung is releasing new fixes for it.  

https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/08/03/samsung-galaxy-marshmallow-problems/    

Is Rogers going to wait to implement these fixes too at the same time so it is easier for the development team?  In that case might as well wait for Nougat and skip Marshmallow altogether.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
That is something I did not think about. They are probably thinking of a way of charging extra. Arent we already on the most expensive phone provider in Canada? The most important thing on the update for me is battery optimization and security patches. Wifi calling is cool, but no one needs it. Who does not habe a plan with unlimited minutes, at least anyone that has an S6 does. So who cares........... I remember when my Blackberry Z10 had HD calling. At least Blackberry never gave me headaches.

Why would you highly recommend a page you know is rarely updated?  Once a customer gets an update, there is no value in going to a page to check a schedule.  Perhaps you could post a reply of value to the users of this board?

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?