cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

vpcg
I Plan to Stick Around
Note 7 is out and we are still waiting on marshmallow. But moderator are replying on posts about the note 7.

rcorrea
I'm Here A Lot

I contacted mobile syrup to give them a heads up on the frustated rogers customers for this update.  Maybe they might make a story out of it lol

They have the link to this forum

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around

That's a good idea. Others should know what to expect for support before signing up with Rogers.

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
The time line on the Rogers forum says Galaxy S7 and S7 edge security updates are available but I have not received yet. I have both the S7 and S7 Edge and still have not updates since April. Google and Samsung have been sending out fixes but Rogers seems to be very very slow in releasing. My S6 is also stuck in limbo while all other Canadian carriers have released 6.0.1 months ago.

nitingaba
I Plan to Stick Around

Although it is extremely annoying that Rogers has yet to roll out an update to the S6/S6 Edge that all other Canadian carriers rolled out months ago. After they botched the earlier update with VoLTE back in October it looks like Rogers is being extra careful with their Android updates. In the case of the S6/S6 Edge a little too careful considering it has been months.

It is also possible that when Rogers does roll this update out it will also feature Wifi Calling (very strong possibilty since the Note 5, S6 Edge+ and now the S7/S7 Edge {partially} have the update). Once the Wifi calling issues are fixed on the S7/S7 Edge I think it shouldn't be too long until the S6/S6 Edge updates are also rolled out but then again this is all speculation.

However regardless the fact still stands that at the moment Rogers is by far the worst carrier in rolling out Android updates right now, let's hope they can fix this soon before they lose a ton of customers. 

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
I got the WiFi calling update for the S7. That was a couple weeks ago.

Enabling WiFi calling is a battery drain. It consumes at least 50% more battery power than when turned off. I've turned it off.

Release Marshmallow without this feature.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @rzanatta

Unfortunately this most likely the reason why they removed the update for the rest of us with the s7 edge and s7. I have the S7 edge and still waiting for that updated. Not worrying anyways and glad they stopped it for that reason.

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

guys forget about rogers; 

look at xda-developers thread here, very simple to update using Smart Switch;

you can have latest 6.0.1 with latest security patch in few minutes using Telus update

walls1234
I Plan to Stick Around

@catamtl wrote:

guys forget about rogers; 

look at xda-developers thread here, very simple to update using Smart Switch;

you can have latest 6.0.1 with latest security patch in few minutes using Telus update

This also works with the non-Edge version of the Galaxy S6!  Great tip @catamtl

4Walls

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

I can't see why not; the procedure is the same for both models. worth trying

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
Does this work well? I am tempted to fo it later today. Looks pretty simple.

Yeegrek
I Plan to Stick Around

Does this work well? I am tempted to do it later today. Looks pretty simple.

I think I'm going to take a crack at it today, after a quick backup of my phone.

My other question is: Does this invalidate your warranty? I'm pretty much at the one year anniversary of my contract, so it's going to be a moot issue in a couple weeks. Still, just want to know should I decide to take the plunge. I'm tired of waiting for Rogers to get their act together, or even to provide us with an update on the nature of the holdup. It's well known that we pay some of the highest cell phone bills in the world. The service should at least be commensurate with the price. 

user02843
I Plan to Stick Around

In short, i hope they do start losing a lot of customers over the issues they put us through (and i'm not just talking about this thread or these mobile issues). Only once the see their numbers falling will they try to fix anything or care about anyone is saying. It's the last time I buy a phone from rogers and glad to say it won't be happening again.

For those waiting...  Don't expect change to happen anytime soon, CEO Guy Laurence stated that the company has its “mojo back” so clearly he won't be changing anything with subscriber numbers up.  Could make more money holding the stock and not being a customer...

Good luck to the rest of you.

user02843
I Plan to Stick Around

why can't  other people at rogers provide a little transparency and information for their poor users?    

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

@user02843 wrote:

why can't  other people at rogers provide a little transparency and information for their poor users?    

because they just don't care

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

@Yeegrek wrote:

Does this work well? I am tempted to do it later today. Looks pretty simple.

I think I'm going to take a crack at it today, after a quick backup of my phone.

My other question is: Does this invalidate your warranty? I'm pretty much at the one year anniversary of my contract, so it's going to be a moot issue in a couple weeks. Still, just want to know should I decide to take the plunge. I'm tired of waiting for Rogers to get their act together, or even to provide us with an update on the nature of the holdup. It's well known that we pay some of the highest cell phone bills in the world. The service should at least be commensurate with the price. 

Don't know about warranty, mine was over the one year so I don't care about.

The telus update works great I had absolutely no problem since I did it.

Guys there at XDA are reporting that Koddo update is more recent and has wi-fi calling activated so if you wanted you can have it.

I personnaly don't care abour wifi calling, I keep wifi off mostly all times, I'm a lot on the road and tired of having internet down due to all free registering wifi networks from gas station, walmart, tim hortons and all other, but with no internet.

Also, in two month my contract with rogers will end and I'll go to Telus, so it was a good ocasion to test their software. Can't be worse than rogers, rogers are trying hardly to hit the bottom low of customer service and network performance. They will be there soon.

If anyone can't find the topic at xda developer forum, just send a PM and I'll send it to you.

user02843
I Plan to Stick Around

which is mind boggling of why we can't get an answer from anyone at rogers.  makes you wonder why they have these forums unless its to stop us from bringing up issues elsewhere.  

what is the link to the page for firmware upgrade? thank you

user02843
I Plan to Stick Around

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/OSUpgrades/thread-id/1

But don't think you will get any information out of rogers.  Its mindblowingly out of date. The S6 Edge Plus marshmallow update was already released and rogers as it as Coming Soon!!!  

And surprise, surprise... nobody wants to comment about that.

user02843
I Plan to Stick Around

"Can't be worse than rogers, rogers are trying hardly to hit the bottom low of customer service and network performance. They will be there soon."

If only i was back overseas.... You can get 8.5GB/month and rollover up to 15GB, unlimited everything and unlimited calls to so many first would countries and it was $50 a month which includes all taxes. Were getting ripped off here because the CRTC is not allowing competition.

please, send me the link, thank you!
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?