cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

gurnblansten
I Plan to Stick Around
Turn on notify for updates in the settingsand. It generaly notifies you immediately when available. You can check manually for additional futility.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @gurnblansten

Exactly. That's one way but unfortunately the user was asking about a email. Since no carrier emails out texts customers, that's the only way and again doesn't mean everyone will get it at once. The update gets pushed out in phases

gurnblansten
I Plan to Stick Around

No kidding. Unless you buy an unlocked device, register it and then get notified your out of luck. Rogers is beyond irresponsible and could care less like most carrier with bootloader locked devices. Auto update is "as fast" as you'll see it outside social media or here.

Rejoicing will be loud if and when the laggards release. Then we'll be made to feel grateful for incompetence.

An email explaining why devices costing up to $1200 have NOT been updated is required at this point. Coming Soon two months after more responsive carriers released it is pathetic in the 3.0 Customer Service era.

kh29
I Plan to Stick Around

hi i have samsung galaxy s6 edge and iam still waying for marshmellow 6.0.1 whats taking so long becuase my brothers has it on his he has the s6 edge from bell. and we are almost done july and next week is august.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @kh29

You won't get the answer you are looking for unfortunately. They won't explain why it's taking this long other then putting important things on it.

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
Translation: Rogers support is the worst in the industry and their arrogance is frustrating.

Marsenault87
I've Been Around

Still waiting......... Will definitely switch to Telus soon, not even going to bother waiting for my contract to finish. Its not just that this update is taking forever, its also that the last update crippled my phone. incoming/outgoing calls worked 10% of the time, texts worked 10% of the time, MMS didnt work at all, I would get multiples of the same text(sometimes 8 times). many calls to tech support and I was basically told that they know theres an issue and I have to wait a month for the patch to come out. Even still I get 2,3,4 of the same text received and I miss some calls and texts but I have no idea that im missing texts unless the other person asks me why I didnt text them back. Its much better after that patch was released but I still dont fully trust it. At this rate the Note 7 will have android Nougat before we have Marshmallow on the S6. This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

Any updates? Some Telus users just got Marshmallow this week. So it's not just Rogers that is not updating. 

Now Google is releasing Nougat sometime this month when we didn't get Marshmallow yet!

http://www.techdroider.com/2016/07/android-7-nougat-to-release-next-month.html

The issue isn't going to be fixed by switching providers since Telus just got it too, but the only way is to switch to Google Nexus's.  

Malek777
I Plan to Stick Around
Telus pushed out marshmallow long time ago for the s6 not last week. I think since april

dough
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, Telus did update to Marshmallow back in April. The update they got this week was the security update for July. I installed the Telus version on my (unrooted) S6 edge shortly after it was released (and its been working great for 3 months now!). Because I have a Rogers SIM I did not get the security update but at least I have Marshmallow. To get the security update I would have to install it manually same as I did for 6.0.1 the first time. 

JohnBreton
I've Been Here Awhile

Now that Google annonced Nougat in August, Rogers will be 2 major release behind.

Rogers:  You are kidding right?

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-nougat-said-to-begin-rolling-out-in-august

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around

I just called Rogers Business Customer Support (I have a business account) and I called them in regards to these slow updates and objectively was asking for compensation for the lack of service and the lack of communication. I pay about $100 per line on my account, and all of them need the update. They offered me a $15 credit. I declined as that was a mediocre offer. They then came up to me and said that for services like that they do not compensate because they do not even have the update in their system yet. I was furious, but for respect I hung up. But long story short. I complained that virtually every relevant carrier in North America has released this update and that Rogers has not. And that virtually Rogers is one of the largest wireless carriers in North America. However, for paying a premium price I get service just as good as I would get from Wind Mobile. Which is a quarter of the price I pay. This has become more like a rant, and I know it will not do this cause any good, but this was my experience. At the end of the call, the manager was basically laughing at me at this "ridiculous" request I made for them to try to meet me halfway and assist me with this issue. To bad there is a wireless monopoly in Canada and there is not many other other options...

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
That's what you get with Rogers customer service. It's sad, because years ago they had great service. Now they have poor service yet act like they are doing you a big favour.

vpcg
I Plan to Stick Around

Took two tech before talking to a manager in tech support. They really don't wanna anwers on why we are not getting this marshmallow update. The only reply I got was the update is not optimize for Rogers network. I told him to refund me because I'm not getting my update on a premium phone if they can't tell us what the issue. The second tech I spoke to told me he was gonna hang up the phone on me because he has no answers for me as he was getting mad. The manager said if your current android works you have no reason to ask for a refund. I told him I want the new and improved featureds of marshmallow and that why I paid for a premium phone to have the latest featured. They keep on telling to leave messages on the community to get an anwers lol.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @vpcg

In reality they do have the right not to give u the credit as ur device is working and receiving, making outgoing calls and all the other functions u got with the device. You aren't paying to get the updates, ur paying to use the services Rogers is providing you with which are working fine. So i see why the manager declined the credit but maybe speak to another manager or contact them and let them know that u want a small credit even $20 off on ur plan or bill for the inconvenience. No company gives credits out because their devices or electronics aren't being updated.

gurnblansten
I Plan to Stick Around
Partially true. You pay for a device as part of your plan (Even after its paid off) and own it. Unfortunately Rogers and manufacturers lock bootloaders and prevent full usage.

If it was a true "service" like Internet we would simply connect devices and be left to the manufacturers for updates. Apple, Microsoft, Nexus or any unlocked phone.

There are global standards but North America is bass ackwards with subsidies on devices further inflating rate plans. Comical when my Samsung Device subsidy is 20.03 per month and once paid I save a merger 15 a month. It should be criminal and outlawed but North American's love the subsidy and inflated prices.

Like buying a computer then being told you can only use one ISP and only get updates when they dictate because your PC might not work right because they say so.

Report to CRTC and if enough people complain maybe change will happen. The good old days of buying a phone and downloading OTA settings to ensure their services worked right was great. Buried on their sites are SMS, MMS, APN settings to work unlocked devices. They bake settings into networks and phones to prevent fully open standards, compliance which costs us all more.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

Just think about this, you buy a Luxury Vehicle and you have an Infotainment system (onboard computer) in the car. There is an update that comes out, but you are only able to pick up the update through the dealership that you bought the car from. The update offers better performance, extra safety features and better reliability. Now at the end of the day, your car runs fine, is fast and its comfortable. So the dealership does not push the update. You could have payed less to get a cheaper vehicle and not go through this headache, but instead you wanted the best. When complaining to the dealership, they say: "Is your car working?", you say yes. Then they reply: "Then there is nothing to worry about..." This is exactly what is happening. We pay for Premium devices and so called "Premium" sevices but receive the opposite. People have been complaining for months on this forum, and not once have you seen Rogers come in and voice their reasoning for the delay. So before taking Rogers side, think as we think.

BEST THING TO DO IS TO GET A NEXUS DEVICE AND SKIP ROGERS

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @lucasberthault

I see your point and it's valid but don't u put the blame a bit on the manufacturer as well? If they remotely cared about pushing the security updates out to everyone, don't u think Samsung would have done something by now to Rogers or even release a statement about it? Motorola made a public statement that they won't support monthly security updates as it takes to much time and effort to do it and thus push it only over OTA or maintenance updates that happen once every so often. Honestly i do blame Rogers for not making any comments about this seeing as many are asking for some sort of statement which i agree needs to happen.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @gurnblansten

I agree but as I said above in my statement it goes both ways with the carrier and manufacturers. As i said Motorola won't be pushing out the updates. I am sure they won't be the only ones as LG is slowly going to do the same as i seen it before. I agree with everyone on here though.

The CRTC won't do much unfortunately. U know why? Because all they can say is that they looked into it and it doesn't violate any of their rules and or points. Many have complained to them and nothing has happened yet.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
@Meowmix
If you call Samsung right now they will tell you that they have sent all the update packets to Rogers(I called them before I called Rogers). And if Samsung is at fault here, why would they supply Telus and Bell before Rogers, even though Rogers is the largest carrier?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @lucasberthault

I am saying that if Samsung cared about the carriers pushing out the security updates, they would have sent our a massive letter to the public apologizing and also getting Rogers to do it but it seems like they haven't. The update is in Rogers has and yes while Telus and Bell have already released it, I have no clue why Rogers hasn't and i am starting to wonder why they aren't making any comments about it ( not the Mods on here as they get barely any info but head office) and release it. I am sure it has to do something with WiFi Calling and all that but still.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?