cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

francisgph
I'm Here A Lot

Please Rogers, could you provide at least more information ''coming soon'' should not be a time indicator. We pay premium price for this phone. We are expecting premium delevery when it comes to OS upgrade and SECURITY updates. Every other canadian carier have the updgrade even Videotron, and you share his network in Quebec so it can't be a network problem. Worst case senario hire their ingeneer and fire yours

vpcg
I Plan to Stick Around
I call Rogers tech support to ask them why so long on this update for my galaxy s6 edge. They said the update as started rolling out and there system automatically choses when update come out by batches.

I then called Samsung Canada. They will let you update via there Smart Switch application on pc and mac.

Very disappointed that Rogers takes so long to update these phones!

Soon my contract will be over and I'll be out with Rogers!

vpcg
I Plan to Stick Around

United States federal government want to know why Android updates are so slow.
Link to article
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5731fc16e4b096e9f092ac51

Dutch consumer group sue Samsung for very slow update.
Link to article
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/21/samsung_sued_for_lackadaisical_android_updates/

More article links on Samsung being sued for slow updates worldwide.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-sued-update-phones-668328/

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3026256/mobile-wireless/samsung-sued-for-not-updating-android-on...

TheEdge
I've Been Around

Just registered to say this Rogers:

I am but 1 customer, but for you, that's 1 less customer going forward.  Hope many will follow suit.

Reasons are your lack of customer support, lack of update release and plain disrespect by ignoring your clients.  I can only guess you also have a very weak software team, unable to implement even the slightest changes, 3 months after the majority of carriers successfully released them.  Your silence speaks volume.

Who would want to stay with Rogers/Fido when no other carrier can be worse?

Tajdagreat
I've Been Here Awhile
I am very disappointed in Rogers . I thought they were supposed to be a leader in the industry. In stead they can't even simply update one of their flagship phones. And now I'm reading android is getting ready to release a new update . The Nogurt. So what Samsung S6 owners will never get either update is what I'm fearing .
When my contract is up with rogers I'm looking to switch . Even the lower carriers are looking better than Rogers. They're is simply no excuse for this

techguy100
I've Been Here Awhile

Don't buy a phone from rogers they lack customer service and do not care about their customers a company like rogers should be releasing updates asap to devices like the s6 and s6 edge since they are the 2015 flagships and do not fall behind the s7 or s7 edge in specs. so it is not a hardware issue. its rogers, they can't be efficient and timely with updates its never going to happen. small carriers like wind have already released the update months ago. if you buy right from samsung (amazon,ebay, and the US with samsungs newest project of selling phones out right you will get a better deal and updates straight from samsung which is similar to what apple does. stop giving your money to rogers people!

gurnblansten
I Plan to Stick Around

Typical vacuous and insulting platitude.

Thankfully my Rogers Samsung S6 EDGE will be paid next month and I'm off contract.

If the "Coming Soon" hasn't changed, or latest status of OS shows 5.1.1 it's new phone with new carrier time. Tired of having to buy new phones every 1.5-2 years to experience benefit of last OS or receive firmware, security, software enhancements to costly devices. All because Rogers uses locked bootloaders and can't provide, vet upgrages to $700-$1,000 devices in a timely matter. They remove the benefit, incentive to bring your own unlocked device which always work better than the locked, bloatware infested carrier devices. Apple and Nexus prove there is precious little tweaking needed to ensure things work right.

Nougat will be out before the Roger Clown car delivers. Bell, Telus, Videotron and other Canadian carriers had this update out in April. Here we wait with Coming Soon well into July!

Canadaneil
I've Been Here Awhile
So like many I would like to flash Marshmallow from another carrier. Is there a problem doing this? For example 6.0.1 is available for G925W8VLU3CPC5 but the Rogers model is G925W8VLU3BOJ7. If I'm rooted does this matter? Thanks

techguy100
I've Been Here Awhile

It should work fine since its a canadian firmware.

Canadaneil
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. Just loaded Telus 6.0.1 via Odin. Very simple, works perfectly!

hogey
I Plan to Stick Around

Seriously   6S update.  156 replies.  Thread marked solved, but its not.

Enough of the redirects to the update page.  Whats the release date?

No fluff,,, no user theories.   Just the truth from Rogers please.  Otherwise how can I return these phones for something that you actually support?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @hogey

You won't be able to return the phones and as said many times on here, there is no way they will give a exact date until it's for sure coming out.

Hello @Meowmix,

It's not normal that Rogers is unable to deliver an update if EVERY other canadian carrier have done it so far. We deserve at least a form of compensation. Our phones are lagy JUST because Rogers ingeneer aren't able to work propely.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @francisgph

Yes but that compensation could be done on the bill. No company gives out phones because of compensation due to lag or even np updates. I would highly recommend then to call Rogers and speak to a manager and see what can be done for u.

This is so true! Couldn't agree more!
My gf on bell has a S5 which got the update for it 3 months ago!!! Here I am still waiting for one on my s6, wth?

kh29
I Plan to Stick Around

iam still waiting for marshmellow to come on my galaxy s6 edge and it says coming soon and we are half way done july  whats taking so long

RAL69
I Plan to Stick Around

I am sure they are having a hard time implementing WIFI calling.  Instead of giving it for free and lose revenue they are trying to implement it so you are charged when you use WIFI calling.  They will try to squeeze every penny from their customers.  WIFI calling is probably not compatible with Rogers One Number and some of their other bloat ware.

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around

"Comming soon"?

Telus and Bell have already delivered a while ago; good indicator of who is doing more for their customer.

The S6 was a year ago (arguably) the number one flagship Android phone.  You expect customers to pay for a premium device and then you take forever to deliver security and feature updates?  Yeah, you'll deliver "sometime soon", and I'm sure you'll also find the time to cram in your bloatware that nobody wants instead of getting updates out in a timely fashion.

Rogers, you really need to work on your customer service.  Seriously.

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

And don't forget about Android Pay RAL69 ... they will need to make a profit off of that as well.

dynot
I Plan to Stick Around

@rzanatta wrote:

Rogers, you really need to work on your customer service.  Seriously.

I think it's clear that Rogers has no concerns for their customers and possibly no intention to release an update for the S6. If you think about it, they're hoping we will upgrade the hardware and sign up for another two years. So there's no incentive to release this update and I certainy do not expect one anytime soon. I have 6 months left to go so I can live with my current OS until I switch to a more reliable carrier.

It's pretty short-sighted of Rogers to think this way. I'm going to guess that the majority posting complaints here are knowledgeable about these things and are probably viewed by friends and family as one to go to for advice when it comes to shopping for a cell phone. I for one would advise against Rogers simply for their tendency to drop support for a flagship device in less than a year.

Afterall, cellphone service is similar amoung the big three in my city. What diffrentiates them is the after-sale experience and that includes OS and security updates. And I think we can all agree that Bell and Telus is way ahead in that regard.

I suggest that we spread the word not only here but every and any social media site you may belong to...reddit, facebook, twitter. At some point someone at Rogers will notice and think that maybe, just maybe they should change their business strategy.

iankthompson
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been patient, and I've kind of laughed about all of this...  although it's now  no longer just frustrating, it's gotten sad.  It's been months since other carriers have released it, but yesterday's update to the OS Upgrade schedule page at http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/OSUpgrades/thread-id/1 took the cake.  specifically the HTC Nexus 9 tablet getting "Nougat" soon... we're still 2 versions back, and Rogers is already planning for a Nougat update (I know it's a Nexus device so they can actually get updates direct from Google, but it's just rather humourous, that we're waiting for Marshmallow while they get to wait for Nougat which hasn't even been officially released yet.   What's worse is the fact that Nougat hasn't been released yet except for beta... and yet it took months for the S6's marshmallow update to be "coming soon" that was announced and even being pushed out in the US before we even had a glimmer of hope that it was "coming soon"... 

Communication with your customers on this is important Rogers... not telling us when to expect an update that we should have had months ago is bad form, and bad service.  not providing the vendor supplied monthly security updates makes you potentially liable for a lot of stuff as well.  they've released updates, they've released security updates, we're waiting on you.  And with no communication, we're left with speculation, and rumors.  This shouldn't be that hard, the Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge is not an old phone, it is not an obscure phone, it is not an unpopular phone, and heck if people want to they can go around you to install it on their phone and have zero problems.  So why is Rogers having a problem?  at this point this thread has been going on for a very long time, we've been patient, we've heard nothing concrete.  At this point we deserve an ANSWER to the questions we have.  Why is it so delayed?  When will we get it?  Why are every other phone in the free world getting the update before us?  Why are you not supplying even just the security updates?

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?