cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

steveburke23
I Plan to Stick Around
Rogers has changed the os schedule for S6 S6 edge and others from coming summer 2016 to (coming soon) if that even matters hopefully that means it really is coming soon although a date would still be nice ..lol..

steveburke23
I Plan to Stick Around
Rogers you reeaally need to hire a bigger,better software team to work on OS updates, this is not acceptable waiting this long for an OS update, and just as important security updates.

Gotta give Apple their due when it comes to updates. It's there and it's done

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Nigelben

Agreed but all carriers have to comply with Apples ruling and agreement for that. They can't touch the update in anyway. They can't add their bloatware anyways. The send a small update after the major one from Apple. That I like but I doubt we will ever see this other then Apple and Nexus.

highka
I'm Here A Lot
This is becoming more and more ridiculous. I mean, if this keeps up I'm inclined to think that Rogers isn't taking the customers and their concerns seriously after the sales, and I would lose slightest bit of faith or loyalty I have in Rogers. I know carriers tend to be slow (lazy) on updates because it doesn't really benefit them (money wise), but it's going to have impact in the company image. Not that anything I say will change anything, but just my two cents.

Re-Gear
I've Been Here Awhile

Soooo.... It appears that the Marshmallow update for the S6 Edge is "coming soon".  What exactly does "coming soon" mean? June 2016, September 2016, June 2017?  And why is Rogers slower than their competition when it comes to firmware updates?  Other Canadian carriers such as Telus, Kodoo Mobile, Wind, Bell, SaskTel, Virgin have already adopted and released a Marshmallow version for this phone.  Get going Rogers!   

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Re-Gear

No one knows and they won't say a exact date just incase they need to push it back further. Yesterday the update got released for the S6E+ but nothing so far for the S6 edge.

Re-Gear
I've Been Here Awhile

Thay's kinda typical today of so many companies today.  Play it safe.  If they don't commit then they won't look bad in their customers eyes.  Unfortunately it makes them look like they don't care.  Why not make a commitment and strive to meet it?  If it gets delayed for technical reasons ... so be it.  At least they tried.  I would rather have a firm date with the possibility of some slipage than "coming soon".  It would also be nice to know that the cellular provider I chose many years ago be on the leading edge (regarding firmware updates) than the lagging edge.

My two cents.   

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
Too bad they don't have a community testing program. Then you could get "bleeding edge" software everyone else got months ago! Lol

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @XbooX

No carrier is allowed to do that ( in Canada the least). The software could be leaked out or some issues could happen so I see why they don't do it. Remember we aren't all developers so they rather have the tester that have full access to use it first. But I do agree with u lol

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
Serves them no value to do it. They can deal with the few of us that will complain until we get our rom and wont care anymore and problem solved.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @XbooX

Again they pay developers to do this job and rather have someone that knows that they are doing and testing it out. ( Not saying that anyone here does not know what they are doing but not everyone is a professional at it or knows the job). Again we shall wait.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around

We are in mid June and the update to Android Marshmellow has not yet been released to my Samsung Galaxy S6. While I read on Android forums that they are releasing a new OS (Android N) by the end of summer, I thought to myself that I have not yet even received last years update for Android Marshmellow. Currently, I am running on Android Lollipop and it is frustrating due to the fact that the Samsung Galaxy S7 has the OS. Sure, sure, it was released by the factory, but that also means that Rogers has had their hands on the OS. Question is, when will they release it, and when will they be up to speed on this. I use Rogers for business, and as a business, I need it to work and be on top of things so that I can also be on top of things. All the other carriers have done their work, when will Rogers?

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
Samsung might have Android N for the s6 next spring. Rogers by the end of nextsummer.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
That is what it is looking like. I have no idea why it takes so long. My only speculation is that it might have something linked to Android Pay. But then again, other carriers have released it already, so go figure.

Rogers has been slow when it's time to update the OS. It's out for minimum 3 months now (marshmallow 6.0.1) and Rogers still work on update. What I did unlock my samsung S6, put a sim card from Bell update the OS then put Back Rogers SIM no glitch, no bug at all.

playmind01
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm will never buy a Samsung again. I will go for the next Nexus phone.

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
Almost no reason not to root and get cyanogen mod. I think the Samsung is usually higher quality from what I've seen.

kamiar
I Plan to Stick Around

this is unacceptable not even an official answer from rogers, all other carrier update s6 to android 6.0 already

even my phone is unlock it was bought from rogers, i'm done buying phones from rogers 

MCole
I've Been Here Awhile
Another month gone and still no date set for the Marshmallow update. I'm very frustrated by the lack of communication and the delay in pushing the update to the end user. Every other carrier released it months ago. I certainly don't feel like a valued customer and will definitely rethink purchasing another device from Rogers because of this. I understand there can be issues that cause delays but several months with no communication really isn't acceptable to me. This certainly doesn't give me a lot of confidence in how future upgrades and security releases will be distributed and doesn't make me feel like I'm getting the best value for the money I pay every month for my services.

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
If anyone from Rogers is reading these large number of posts please at least give some response.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?