cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around

I purchased a couple of S6s.  Now the scheduled Marshmallow update changed from May to "this summer".

Meanwhile the Neo is getting the update sooner, and the S7 shipped with it.

Rogers is really slow at providing Android updates, but the delay on an (arguably) premier Android phone like the S6 is ridiculous.  Telus did it last month.  Rogers updated the G3 and not the G4, meanwhile Bell already updated the G4.

For such a large company, Rogers' service has much to be desired.

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
By the we get this 6.0 update, Android N will be rolling out. This is just sad and you really almost might as well wait for N at this rate.

SwordFish99
I Plan to Stick Around

@XbooX, I think that is wishful thinking. I am willing to bet we in Canada will not see Android N until at least this time next year.

@Meeowmix, I agree it shouldn't take this long and this is also why I have stopped buying Rogers phones. It wouldn't be so bad that they are WAY behind their competition in rolling this out but for them to remain quiet and not bother updating their customer as to when this will happen is shameful! "Summer 2016" is not updating your customer!

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
@SwordFish99 Google has an update problem and because this type of thing keeps happening they are trying to change the way we get upgrades starting with N. The adoption rate of M is still so low and the N preview came out a fair bit sooner than M preview. Not just a rogers or samsung problem but Googles Andriod update problem that needs to be dealt with asap because we don't get security and bug fixes when we should. Push the update now Rogers! S5 with 6.0 and my s6 with 5.1.1 on it is.....huh? Why are you doing the oldest phones first when by the time they get an update they need another update? If the s5 is ready to go, and other providers have updated the s6, what is the hold up?

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
If the carriers didn't alter the software with bloat then the updates could be released right away. Google releases their software and Samsung alters it. There is no need for a third tier of alterations. Carriers can release apps later instead and not interfere with the release.

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
Yeah that's ridiculous and why N should be a bit better in this regard. Good time for Google to start charging for Android and taking more control over it. They have a decent base now.

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
Maybe Rogers could stop adding their useless bloatware and put the energy saved into pushing OS updates sooner.

Just a suggestion.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @rzanatta

That will never happen believe me. It's Been happening for so many years. They just have to decrease all the useless bloatware and give the update put on a proper time.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @SwordFish99

I hear you. I have a couple of customers coming to my work complaining that Rogers did not release the update and i told them it's not up to us ( Best Buy) it's up to Rogers and they have a schedule posted but it keeps changing. I agree with everyone here.

peruplay
I'm Here A Lot

sooo Rogers it is SUMMER 2016, any news????

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
HEY ROGERS! How long does it take to add your 3-5 programs to a rom?

I want my security updates NOW!

hogey
I Plan to Stick Around

Just update it yourself and carry on.  It's sad that Rogers won't reply on their own forum about the issue, but whateve.  Guess they are a tad embarrassed in their software team.  Well they should be anyway...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @peruplay

They said "Summer 2016". That means anytime in the summer since they never said start of summer.

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
I would but I don't want to screw up the warranty that I have.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @XbooX

If you know what you are doing then u won't but it's always to be safe then sorry.

hogey
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh you put way too much faith in your warranty. Try and make a claim. They told me mine had water damage. It had been in a lifeproof case since day one. Never came out, never got wet, but refused to repair it. Took it to another place and they told me it was a board failure and it was very common. Asked Rogers customer care for an explanation. Still waiting and that was on my S4. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @hogey

It all depends. Warranty on devices are great but dealing with the manufacturer is better not the carriers I have noticed.

XbooX
I Plan to Stick Around
I got warranty from Costco. They cover water and drops. Just doesn't cover lost or stolen. I've never had to make a claim ever. Cross fingers

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @XbooX

Their warranty is great from what i heard.

dough
I Plan to Stick Around

@hogey

Are you talking about marshmallow update (I did that already) or security updates?  If later, where are getting them from. My phone still says April 2.

rawr4444
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, we do not know when Rogers is releasing Marshmallow.    Was supposed to be June 1, but now delayed longer.    Summer is really until September, so could be late as September.   

I bet they're delaying becuase of the implications on wi-fi calling to their business.   Wi-fi calling is part of 6.0.    They are going to lose millions and millions of dollars because of this little feature.     Every day they don't go live they save millions of dollars.    

I personally can't wait because I'm changing my phone plan ASAP.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?