cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

iankthompson
I Plan to Stick Around

So the Galaxy S5 get's it before the S6?  Something smells fishy here... There needs to be more communication about this than just that.  How can an older phone get the update first?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @iankthompson

Most likely due to the reason the S5 is 2 years old and they are pressured more to get that one update and the S6 either is having some issue with the update and thus why they are waiting or something.

dough
I Plan to Stick Around

Your kidding, right? Summer 2016 is your best estimate? That's 2 - 5 months after every other carrier in the country got theirs! (rolls eyes). Can't wait for this contract to end. In fact, I might not. Might just pay off the phone and jump to... somebody (anybody!) else.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @dough

Yeah i am wondering the same but it seems like maybe the it's due to security updates and bugs they need to iron out but I Dont know. Who knows.

Patthe
I Plan to Stick Around

Just some info, I guess the Edge 6 + is getting WI-FI Calling 🙂

Here some screenshot after instaling Marshmallow

Screenshot_20160507-193925.pngScreenshot_20160507-194000.pngScreenshot_20160507-194005.png

After talking with Rogers, feature not available quite yet, as they will probably activate it after the official update 😉

mcj
I've Been Here Awhile
Check sammobile.com, im also with rogers on s6 g920w8 loaded firmware for eastlink surprise surprise its rogers firmware, and now running 6.0.1 cheers...

peruplay
I'm Here A Lot
does it has to be eastlink?

mcj
I've Been Here Awhile
When i did it i was looking for one that didnt have bloatware, was surprised when it contained the rogers apps. You could choose others if you wish, but if your on rogers the best option would be eastlink.

peruplay
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks @mcj 

have you experienced any issues since you did it? i will try later...

mcj
I've Been Here Awhile
500 hrs running it. 21 days since I did it. No issues

GibMcFragger
I'm a Reliable Contributor
It's all the same software. It's multi CSC. It doesn't matter which carrier you choose, it will install the correct bloat based off what SIM card you have installed. When I had my Edge+, I flashed the Telus version, and the Rogers apps were all there.

3 days after the OS upgrade...no issues so far....

Steve1967
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been with Rogers for just over 5yrs now it has been great but as far as the Updates to OS for any of there devices be it Blackberry , Apple IOS or Android they are extremely slow to release the update. Why is this the case

dynot
I Plan to Stick Around

@Steve1967 wrote:

I have been with Rogers for just over 5yrs now it has been great but as far as the Updates to OS for any of there devices be it Blackberry , Apple IOS or Android they are extremely slow to release the update. Why is this the case

They are just terrible at customer service. Once you sign up for one of their plans there is no incentive for them to keep you satisfied so they basically ignore their current customers and focus only on acquiring new subscribers.

Note that now that AT&T has upgraded their S6 to Marshmellow Rogers is now the last major carrier to upgrade their Android devices. There might be some smaller carriers but I think most major carriers have completed the upgrade.

I've been with Bell and Telus and they're pretty quick to upgrade with security patches and OS versions. What worries me most about Rogers is that the security on my device is just as outdated as the OS. Once my contract is up I will be moving our company's devices to a more secure provider.

zeroz3hereo
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes the security updates are alot more concerning than the actual OS updates. They are so slow, barely give any information to their customers and I think the same... They are focusing on trying to get more and more new customers. Perhaps Rogers is starting to go under? Who knows though. I just wish there was more communication with their customers when it comes to security.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

We’re working with Samsung and will be releasing Marshmallow on Android devices with additional functionality soon. The Galaxy Note 5 will be the first Android to get Marshmallow. The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and other devices will get the update in the following weeks.

Please make sure you retain the original software on your Rogers Samsung device so you can enjoy all our updates. Thanks for your patience!

RogersDarrell

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
This is unacceptable. All carriers have released except Rogers. The only reason not to release would be malfunctioning bloatware. Even AT&T in the US which is closest to Rogers has released. We not talking of difference of days but weeks or months. Rogers please release and work on your bloatware after.

Patthe
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Do like me, im running Marshmallow on my S6 Edge + for a while now.

No issue just change the CSC to another provider, I did Bell, upgrade to Marshmallow, then switch back to Rogers.

Now I have Marshmallow with all the Rogers upcoming feature like WIFI Calling and stuff. Currently not activate yet, but comming soon 🙂

I upgraded mine too via sammobile (firmware from canada eastlink) 

what now when rogers release the upgrade (hopefully this year) ? 

should we get the upgrade notification? 

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
Interesting. Could you me through the process. Sorry don't know how to change provider.

Patthe
I Plan to Stick Around
Read page 6 of this topic.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?