cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I had noticed at the begining of June the OS upgrade page said that we'd see the 5.1.1 for our phones same month and that now has changed to Coming Soon! Anyone know what hapened or why Rogers backed from releasing the update.

The memory leak on this phone is a big killer on the device, restarting and closing out apps is a bandaid fix I'd like to see go away. Any mods know if or when will see this update?

***Edited Labels***

715 REPLIES 715

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

eveck
I'm Here A Lot
Soon isn't soon enough for an update. My phone stopped sending messages at 3 pm today and a forced shutdown is the only thing that fixed it. Toggling between networks did nothing and a restart only allowed me to send one message.

stallen
I Plan to Stick Around

There is a post from a day or so ago on the Telus forum saying that a new firmware update will be available starting on Oct 30th.  http://forum.telus.com/blog/N_blog/56432/all/samsung-galaxy-s6%252Fs6-edge-connectivity-issues

Coincedently, there is a new update for Telus and Koodo here: http://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-G920W8/ G920W8VLU3BOJ7  build date 23.10.2015 changelist 6089316

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around
Interesting, this will prove to be a great way to gauge Rogers vs. Telus support and service. Not looking good though when so far all Rogers has been able to say is sometime in the next SEVERAL weeks.

Why didn't I get android 5.1.1 update for my s6? 

It keeps telling me the lastest version has alreday been installed

stallen
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers hasn't enabled the OTA update yet.  That is why there is no update.  There are other options like installing the update yourself.

gvinvan
I Plan to Stick Around

@stallen

This is a great response on Telus's part and this is exactl what Rogers needs to do. The need exists to make the customers aware and share some of the information in regards to what the problem is, where the problem lies, who is working on the fix and a time line as to when we can expect a fix. Again, I was lucky to get a new phone from internal Telecom dept, but I can imagine someone who relies on their phone for business or someone trying to get in touch with a family member in case or emergency must be going through so much frustration. 

This is extremely poor customer service on Roger's part, not to mention QA ing before releasing an update. We live in day and age where most people understand technology well and giving a technical update as to what part of technology is not working with the S6 would have been a better way to go for Rogers.

Hopefully the folks with 5.1.1 get the update fix soon, much overdue.

Nina815
I Plan to Stick Around
Still having problems with my s6 edge. But now the data is completely down. I get no what's app messages, snaps or anything unless I'm on wifi. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

eveck
I'm Here A Lot
Nina, tries you shut it down? That seems to fix it for me and I keep it on the GSM network.

benny27
I Plan to Stick Around

The lack of customer service on this issue is what ticks me off the most. Come out and tells on what is going on right off the bat, keep us informed and then let us know when things are fixed. Pretty simple stuff but i guess when you are making money hand over fist and have people locked into contracts then who gives a crap about the cusutomer

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

benny27
I Plan to Stick Around

@paulwatkins

Exactly like that. When they realized there was an issue 3 weeks ago they could have notified us as well but i guess that would have been tough to do...communication these days is pretty hard to do

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@paulwatkins wrote:
@benny27

You mean like this?

http://forum.telus.com/blog/N_blog/56432/all/samsung-galaxy-s6%252Fs6-edge-connectivity-issues

🙂

While Telus is to be commended for the clarity of the message (vs NO message yet from Rogers), their timeliness isn't all that much better. They may not have known WHEN they would be able to release a fix until a few days ago, but they sure must have known WHAT the problem was almost from the get-go, and could have told their customers at least that a long time ago. That still puts them a huge step up on Rogers, but neither is any great shakes as far as I am concerned. 

What I am most curious about, however, is WHY some of us with exactly the same build as outlined have had terrible problems and others (like me thankfully!) have had zero problems (as least as far as I ever could tell). I updated my S6 to 5.1.1 as soon as it was available - same build as the problem one - and have had no issues at all. So the build all by itself cannot be the sole arbiter of this problem - there has to be more of an environment issue that is not common to all. That may explain why it is taking so long to fix.

It sure does not excuse the total and utter lack of communication which is deplorable no matter how you slice it.

datacide
I've Been Here Awhile

I also updated my phone when the update became available in October.  I then had all the problems people are talking about.  Had to call a few tmes to finally get to a tech who asked me to shut down my phone and remove my sim.  He then did something on his end and then told my to put the sim back in and turn on the phone.   Luckily everything came back after that.  I have no clue what the guy did but it worked, I was lucky.  The people who are still having these issues have a right to be angry. The almost radio silence from Rogers makes a bad tech failure an equally bad customer care flop.

Kperot
I Plan to Stick Around

@datacide wrote:

I also updated my phone when the update became available in October.  I then had all the problems people are talking about.  Had to call a few tmes to finally get to a tech who asked me to shut down my phone and remove my sim.  He then did something on his end and then told my to put the sim back in and turn on the phone.   Luckily everything came back after that.  I have no clue what the guy did but it worked, I was lucky.  The people who are still having these issues have a right to be angry. The almost radio silence from Rogers makes a bad tech failure an equally bad customer care flop.

I've noticed since talking to a tech, who advised me of the same thing, that I'm now only getting 4G, no longer LTE... my issues are still there though.  Are you getting LTE speeds still?

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Samsung should be the ones release a statment that they are aware of the issue and giving a time line. Funny how Samsung can come up with a design of a new phone and have it ready for mass sale in a shorter time then it has taken for them to resolve a software issue. 

Rogers will never post a statement to a product having an issue because there all spineless jelly fish. 

This whole issue reminds me of the same issue of the Rogers Navigator that was pushed out to customers that still don't see it being resolved.

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around
If you think you're fine, it's most likely just a matter of time. I thought I was fine too, by simply turning VoLTE off, and I was until yesterday. I have been doing a lot of reading and it's the same everywhere... eventually it will affect you. For now I have just turned off wifi completely and just using my LTE and it has been good since yesterday, but I send test text messages about a dozen times a day just to check.

datacide
I've Been Here Awhile

Right after the call/fix, I was limited to maximum of 4g data speeds.  The next day, it was back to LTE and has been there ever since.  

Kperot
I Plan to Stick Around

@datacide wrote:

Right after the call/fix, I was limited to maximum of 4g data speeds.  The next day, it was back to LTE and has been there ever since.  

Ok thanks.  I'm still not getting LTE, so I'll try pulling the card again...

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around
Rogers attitude on this issue, is beyond ridiculous.
Hours and hours on hold with tech support, again hours for customer service and that for nothing.
even worse, because I was missing so many calls, now they deactivated missed calls feature, so if there is no voice message left, I don't receive a notification. And they are trying to explain to me that problem is almost solved and I receive 75% of calls now, and only few missing.
really Rogers, this is the way to solve the problems, deactivating features for which I pay as monthly add-on.
and please stop suggesting reset the phone 6 times a day, I did not paid 750 dollars for a Christmas lights to turn it on and off when I have time.

naderzz
I've Been Here Awhile

For about two months now my Samsung Galaxy S6 has been sending my messages straight to voicemail and I've been receiving text only when I restart my device. And I get 3 of the same message.

I contacted Rogers to get this issue resolved and all they could provide for me is a network reset which only resolved the issue for about an hour.

I had to reset my network a bunch of times and after this inconvenience I asked rogers for a discount off my bill, they gave me $10.

A couple of weeks ago through my own research I found out that this was a software Issue that only Samsung can fix with an update. Why would Rogers offer a phone that doesn't work on their LTE network and charge me $90/month?

Once again through my own research I found out that I should switch my netwrok to 3G and this will help with my calls going through. It did help with the calls but now my network is super slow.

So since this problem went on for almost 2 months, having a phone basically not receive calls and not receive text on time I called Rogers to get money off my bill.

I talked to two people at Rogers explaining my situation and neither of them believed me. I told them that I wasnt the only one having these issues and sent them links to back me up. The one lady told me she wen't over my bill and told me that I've been calling people. Of course I've been calling people but that's not the issue, I haven't been receiving calls. She kept on making up excuses and did not give me anyting. The second lady told me to call technical support because that was the only option when I explained to her it was not a problem Rogers can fix and I already went through this process. 

Both attempts and I got nothing out of it. 

My boyfriend is with Telus and he had the same issue and nicely enough they compensated him for his bill.

Not only did they give him his bill off, he just got a text from them letting him know that they are going to credit him even further. 

12204104_10153089720567041_817131008_o copy.jpg

So out of all of this I got no solution from Rogers, and I had to beg for a credit which I only got $10 off for 2 months of plan I couldn't even utilize. 

stallen
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDarrell Can you please provide an update to this situation?  Thank you.