cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I had noticed at the begining of June the OS upgrade page said that we'd see the 5.1.1 for our phones same month and that now has changed to Coming Soon! Anyone know what hapened or why Rogers backed from releasing the update.

The memory leak on this phone is a big killer on the device, restarting and closing out apps is a bandaid fix I'd like to see go away. Any mods know if or when will see this update?

***Edited Labels***

715 REPLIES 715

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Mrnovanova
I Plan to Stick Around
@brynhazlett
If you read past post you will find a few temporary fixes as turning off LTE. It seems to work for some.

Bryanb58
I Plan to Stick Around

@gvinvan

Ah right on thanks anyway.

Hope a fix is coming.....Getting real sick of this!!!!!

rh52
I Plan to Stick Around

I am glad to hear that Rogers has pulled the early October 5.1.1 release from the OTA list, just as they did the September 5.1.1 release. That shows that they eventually recognize when a release is more trouble than it's worth, and the workarounds are insufficient.

I exchanged a couple of reply board notes with @RogersDarrellSamsung has no intention of skipping the EMR and jumping to Marshmallow.

That is important, since it otherwise could have orphaned many crippled S6 phones for months.

There is a lot of technical and customer support respect on the line for Rogers on this one. Here's hoping they get it right the third time.

dktoronto
I've Been Here Awhile

This is the biggest load of CRAP from Rogers I have ever encountered.   I only just found out I was missing phone calls over the last three weeks - not very good for my business!   

The Galaxy S6 is a new FLAGSHIP phone is essentially "unsupported" by Rogers. As a software developer with over 25 years experience it is clear to me that the Rogers hardware validation program is not adequate.

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having the exact same issue on my Samsung S6 Edge.  Took the initial update in September I believe when I was prompted by the phone and then the smaller 'fix' update recently.  Didn't initially notice the problem until after the fix patch or smaller recent update.

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around
It was the second update that appeared to have caused the problems for me as well. Same as others have reported, non sms, calls in or out, etc. A reboot has been resolving it temporarily so far, but it's making use of the phone impossible as you never know when to reboot.

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around
Perhaps Rogers Tech can roll these phones back to 5.0.2 if they are brought to them????

nbstag
I've Been Here Awhile

Adding my hat to the ring. Didnt see this post and actually went to a rogers store where they sent my phone for repairs. According to the sheet I got back they replaced the mainboard. Memory stayed the same so im still stuck on 5.1.1. 

I attempted to switch my phone to GSM but when I do that everything stops working (including texting, just says failed to send)

emmkaycan
I've Been Around

Read on XDA that some samsung repair centers are rolling back the hpone to 5.0.2. Its wortha  shot walking into one and asking them to take care of the issue.

dktoronto
I've Been Here Awhile

Again I need to post that this problem is completly unacceptable. It has been over 3 weeks since my GS6 has been working. I tried turning off LTE and still texts are messed up and telephone calls go straight to voicemail. 

benny27
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey, it might be time to start getting this out there a little more on social media. The biggest issue on all of this is the lack of communication and hiding by Rogers. Time to hit back at them...3 weeks is a long time to have something like this still going on

eightdown
I Plan to Stick Around
I have used Twitter on many occasions to get the word out with issues (@RogersHelps) and it has definitely proven to be beneficial. Rogers is really not doing much in terms of replies to this thread so getting the word out any other way is key, for sure.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Just a further update to our previous message here.

Again, we are aware that some Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge users may be experiencing issues with their device on the latest Android 5.1.1 software update.

We're continually working with Samsung and our network partners to resolve it as soon as possible.

For anyone being affected, please manually drop the device to 3G/GSM from the Settings > Mobile Networks> Network Mode options. This will help mitigate any issues currently experienced.

Notification will be sent when the new update is ready.

Please continue to PM @CommunityHelps so that we may open a Case on the account. Cases help track, record and detail issues for further investigation.

RogersDarrell

benny27
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, @RogersDarrell, really like the beginning of that response "Again, we are blah blah blah"

Again, we are aware that you are aware that there is a problem with 5.1.1 but at this point after 3 weeks we would like some kind of resolution not just "Hey, use your phone on a bad connection till we get this fixed but please continue to pay us full price" Maybe come out and do something for the clients that have been bothered by this, maybe a discount on the month or something?

I just went thru a twitter chat with @rogershelp and got the same reponse from them we just got from Darrell....

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

Just an update to my own experiences.  Simply turning off VoLTE has so far resolved the issue for me.  I'm on day 2 without issue and will post an update if anything changes.

And to be clear I am using the LTE network on my phone, just not the VoLTE option in the call settings.

Kperot
I Plan to Stick Around

@paulwatkins wrote:

Just an update to my own experiences.  Simply turning off VoLTE has so far resolved the issue for me.  I'm on day 2 without issue and will post an update if anything changes.

And to be clear I am using the LTE network on my phone, just not the VoLTE option in the call settings.

In my case, doing that fixed it at first, and then it randomly began to do the same thing as before.

With LTE on or OFF, and VoLTE on or off.

S6 with second 5.1.1. update.

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The issues go on and on with this phone and thought my S5 was buggy. Bottom line is we post here about the issues and we might as well talk to the wall in front or beside us to get the same responce back. 

@RogersDarrell has the quick copy and paste option out in full effect for this thread and wont say more then that in fear of the powers that be.  If any of them had a spine they'd come out right and give a time frame to address the issue or release a memo stating they are aware of the issue.

Bottom line is we all hate the issues with the phone and the Rogers service, why waste the time posting to people who don't care about the their customers. Drop them and move on, I mean all carriers are crap to deal with but the difference is if you want a turd or a shiny turd for a provider is the real question.

serena780
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,
Can someone please explain to me why I'm not receiving any text messages or now able to send out texts. I'm using a samsung S6 edge.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @serena780

Have you tried to take the sim card out and out it back in to see if that will fix it? Have you contacted Rogers tech support via calling them or live chat to see if they can fix it in their end?

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around
@serena780, simply read the last 5 to 10 pages here but in short... the 5.1.1 update 'buggered' your phone along with most everyone else's here. You'll need to wait for a fix like the rest, I'm afraid....

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around
Here's a couple of snipets from the XDA Developers site that seems to explain it best:

"The issue is not really the software (5.0.2 or 5.1.1) as another agent said, the Canadian carriers are in a process of implementing VoLTE.
When you are on LTE and receive a call or a text, the phone is trying to revert back to GSM and this is the problem.
It disconnects the network and cuts the call or send it to the voice mail.
He suggested to leave it on GSM option till the issue is fixed without having a time table to when.
I have the same issue also on WIFI when LTE is chosen in the settings, change it to GSM and WIFI will receive calls and text."

"I have an iPhone 6s on Rogers, VoLTE working great since they launched the feature last week. It seems to me like Samsung is responsible for the issues, since the firmware on Rogers or Telus have the exact same issue of delayed text, and missing calls.

Telus and Bell use Huawei for their network, Rogers uses Ericsson, so two very different companies that supply the hardware\software that run the network, yet the S6 has issues on both networks, so looks to me like a Samsung firmware issue, and not the carriers."