cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I had noticed at the begining of June the OS upgrade page said that we'd see the 5.1.1 for our phones same month and that now has changed to Coming Soon! Anyone know what hapened or why Rogers backed from releasing the update.

The memory leak on this phone is a big killer on the device, restarting and closing out apps is a bandaid fix I'd like to see go away. Any mods know if or when will see this update?

***Edited Labels***

715 REPLIES 715

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

zeroz3hereo
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm I have been experiencing the same issues with texts not coming through when they should be aswell over the last week.

ouija
I'm Here A Lot

I am having this very same issue, except I have the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, and my phone came with Android 5.1.1.

After spending the majority of my day arguing with Rogers representatives, both on the phone and in store, I've still yet to resolve the issue.  I've been pretty much without service for the past 2 weeks, with little hope for a resolution.

Suggestions by Rogers have been the exact same as outlined in this thread (changing network settings, restarting phone, restting phone, re-inserting sim, using different sim, blah blah blah) with NO improvement.

My phone is not even 2 months old and is little more than a  paperweight.

Rogers has given me nothing but the runaround, stating I can bring the phone into Samsung for repair or use my own device protection (at an additional cost of $200 to me) to get the phone replaced.

I will NOT be remaining as a Rogers customer, and will likely be cancelling my contract outright (at and ADDITIONAL cost of over $450) should I not be able to rectify this issue by the end of the week.

I have written a letter to the Rogers Obudsman AND to Guy Laurence(Rogers CEO) to vent my frustrations with this issue, and I urge you all to do the same here: https://www.rogers.com/web/content/contactus

Rogers needs to be held accountable for this issue.

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

Talking with Rogers is like fighting with the wind; the nicest thing was when they try to reach me and all calls have gone to the voice mail, with notifications arriving after 36 hours. They can believed it was so worst.

I just filled up an complaint with crtc thru ccst (Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services Inc.) and I strongly suggest that all of you do the same.

next step is calling the Consumer Protection Bureau of Quebec, there is no way this can continue like this for weeks and month until someone start working on the problem. You can do the same in your respective provinces.

I still have to find some time and patience to call the customer services, to ask them if I still have to pay the full bill for the weeks without service.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I too am experiencing issues since I received this update but my issues are narrower than what I read here.   My S6 phone is only a few months old now.  

The only problem I'm seeing is loss of calls.  A few times a week now I will receive calls that go right to voice mail.  No ring at all.  I'm in Toronto with strong signals and I always have my phone with me.   Not all calls do this.  It's randomly happening.  The worst kind of problem to identify.   I do know that this wasn't happening on my S6 with 5.0.2 before this update.  

I haven't bothered to call into Rogers as I expect to get the same run around I read about here.   Not sure what my next move will be yet.   This is clearly  a software problem that should receive an update but since Google cannot send updates directly to our phones I sure hope Rogers figures this out quickly and get an update to us soon.   I wonder if there is a way for me to force a previous update somehow. 

Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

My problems still aren't fixed. I am missing almost all incoming calls when I leave the phone idle for over 30 minutes.

What good is a phone if you cannot receive calls ?

45 minutes wait time currently to speak to customer service Smiley Mad ... I don't have that kind of patience right now. If I see the Rogers CEO I would start yelling at him, which is how mad I am right now. The fact that Rogers is not making an official announcement of this issue, with any potential resolution time frame makes this situation even worse.

I demand 50% refund for the entire period - The day my phone asked me to upgrade to 5.1.1 to current, until the problem is resolved. It is CRIMINAL to charge customers for a service that is not being provided. I wonder what the police will say if we say Rogers is commiting fraud by stealing our money. This might sound silly but right now ROGERS is robbing us and there's nothing we can do.

Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

@kh29 wrote:

hi, how are you? i have a question my brother has s6 edge from bell he has 5.0.2 and still waiting for 5.1.1 , but rogers released already . what is the hold up and bell said early oct but next week oct is over

Interesting that you mentioned Bell did not proceed with the bugged update to 5.1.1. That's a smart decision.

No wonder my friends who have the S6 with Bell didnt face such issues yet.

Which idiot at Rogers approved this update to 5.1.1 without the proper testing, which would've clearly shown that it is not ready.

This whole issue is damaging Rogers reputation the most for allowing this update to all its users, but also Samsung and Google to a lesser extent since they did not coordinate this well to release a clean update. Google and Samsung fail to understand that it is such issues that cause millions of users to hate android and switch to iPhone. 

Yes I'm also experiencing the same problem. I suddenly get several texts at random times in day from 3-4 different numbers. Also my calls are not coming through. I also have a SGS6 Edge 😕 Not happpy. 

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community,

Just an update to our previous message here,  we are aware that some Samsung Galaxy S6 users may be experiencing issues with their device after downloading the latest Android 5.1.1 software update.

We're continually working with Samsung and our network partners to resolve it as soon as possible.

For anyone being affected, please manually drop the device to 3G/GSM from the Settings > Mobile Networks> Network Mode options. This will help mitigate any issues currently experienced.

Also, please PM @CommunityHelps so that we may open a Case on the account. Cases help track, record and detail issues for further investigation.

RogersDarrell

This is so stupid solution! yes, we now dont miss calls and text BUT NOW we start to miss some emails and some notification that will require internet access. When browsing and Apps often crash!!!!

cavado
I've Been Here Awhile

I bought the Samsung Galaxy S6 when it launched. I have had no issues until about a week ago when I kept getting duplicate texts everytimes someone texts me. I can't seem to fix the problem I tried installing different texting apps. I reformatted my phone to factory and still they keep coming. Any help would be appreciated

ouija
I'm Here A Lot

Update: The issue with my Galaxy S6 Edge+ is due to an unknown hardware failure, as confirmed by an authorized Samsung repair technician.  After much complaining and running around, Rogers is willing to replace the unit with a brand new model (if and when they replenish thier stock of the same model) but are also willing to replace with any model of my choosing, should I opt to do so.

Kperot
I Plan to Stick Around

@ouija wrote:

Update: The issue with my Galaxy S6 Edge+ is due to an unknown hardware failure, as confirmed by an authorized Samsung repair technician.  After much complaining and running around, Rogers is willing to replace the unit with a brand new model (if and when they replenish thier stock of the same model) but are also willing to replace with any model of my choosing, should I opt to do so.

Interesting, a Rogers tech asked me to bring my S6 in "for service".  Did they mention what the "failure" was?

ouija
I'm Here A Lot

Unknown hardware failure, Phone no longer connecting to any type of mobile data network.

Again, I have the S6 Edge+, which ships with Android 5.1.1 from the manufacturer.   

The Samsung Repair technician did confirm the update to 5.1.1 issues for S6 devices as well, but this isn't the same as what was affecting my phone (however, I was experiencing the exact same symptoms, but changing to GSM/3G didn't fix the issue for me, because there is a hardware failure)

Hi @cavado

Thank you for your post.

What  software version are your currently on for your device?

@RogersPrasana

cavado
I've Been Here Awhile

hello,

I am running 5.1.1 

eveck
I'm Here A Lot

Calls going to VM

As of yesterday, most of my incoming calls went directly to voicemail on my Galaxy S6. I see this is due to the latest software (5.1.1)..is that correct? My only workaround appears to not use the LTE network.

gvinvan
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned but there is also a massive battery drain happening when connected to WiFi. Funny enough when Rogers intially rolled out 5.1.1 i perhaps was one of many who got the update and 5.1.1 was working well. Till when Rogers resumed the update and second time around it was a 35MB package and everything went down hill. Calls going to VM, slow SMS's along with battery draining half from full 100% overnight. 

I managed to get a new S6; came with 5.0.2...I am guessing 5.1.1 has been halted again.

Bryanb58
I Plan to Stick Around

@gvinvan

Just curious when you say you managed to get a new Galaxy S6...can you be a little more specific?  Did you complain to Rogers and they exchanged?  The reason I ask is if Rogers did that for you, then why are the rest of us not being offered this fix? 

Thanks for the info.

brynhazlett
I've Been Around

I was sent here by the RogersHelps twitter account because I've also been experiencing missed texts and calls sporadically. Even though I've had the Android update for quite a while (basically since my phone told me to update the OS), I've only been aware of this problem since last week.

Edited to add: My phone has also recently (as in today) stopped sending texts as well.

gvinvan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bryanb58

Hi, I have a business phone and got the phone through my internal Telecom dept. Thanks.

gvinvan
I Plan to Stick Around

@brynhazlett

Not sure how it helps end users to be here, except for the fact you realize how many other users are having this issue. If anything Rogers should be updating this forum topic and giving a time line as to when an update with fix is coming. Luckily I got another phone and its running 5.0.2. Checking for the new update show no new updates are available; I am guessing, rogers has blocked the update once again, which is a good move.

If any Rogers reps are reading this, what is the update on the fix and for 5.1.1 to be resumed again? Thanks.