cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

jjlewis
I Plan to Stick Around
use a usb port on the back of your computer, not the front

lillady
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone had any luck with upgrading at FS or BB lately?  Or are they even stickier this time of year and staying with new customers only?  I would love to take advantage of the $19.99 S2 LTE at FS right now!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

You can not do a upgrade for that price. If you read the fine little print it says " NEW ACTIVATIONS ONLY". This means you going to have to do a new activation & not a hardware upgrade. It rarely happens where BB & FS gives you the new actiovations price for a upgrade.

databubble
I Plan to Stick Around

@splashdown wrote:

Still not happy with the network, but speeds are improving. I live north of Toronto and outside LTE zone and often do not get calls on the phone, even if I dial my own number from the home phone. There needs to be something done to make reception better overall but the freezing is something wrong and not typical.

Splashdown.... do you have an LTE SIM and plan?  Are you in an LTE area when you can't receive calls?

If you have an LTE SIM and plan, and are experiencing "No service" and "Emergency calls only" messages at specific locations where you know there is a strong Rogers GSM signal....   read the thread about the GS II LTE not receiving calls while on the LTE network.

I suspect that the problem is much more widespread than is recognized.

splashdown
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @ databubble

I have an LTE SIM and LTE Plan. Service is getting better in the LTE Zone, though I have no LTE at this time. I am currently 16km inside the LTE Zone and often, though not always, (like now,) have hade some great speeds. At home I am in an advertised HSPA+ zone but 35km north outside of any LTE current planned expansions.

This is either a phone with a poor antenna, or a network experiencing shortness of promise. I vote for number 2 because I love this phone!

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

i set my screen brightness to minimum at work, brightness increases every time i open up internet browser.

I know that there are separate brightness setting for the browser and general os.

Problem is the brightness stays with browser setting even I set os brightness to minimum. This is driving me nuts. Is this supposed to be like this?

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around
When u go into settings under brightness make sure auto brightness is unchecked. Also are u using the screebl app by any chance because that app can cause it too

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@soondai14 wrote:

i set my screen brightness to minimum at work, brightness increases every time i open up internet browser.

I know that there are separate brightness setting for the browser and general os.

Problem is the brightness stays with browser setting even I set os brightness to minimum. This is driving me nuts. Is this supposed to be like this?

It sounds like there is an app that is interferring with normal opteration of the screen brightness. Do you have some power saving app or anything of the sort running? That is where I'd start looking. On my unit I have no issues disableing the auto brightness and switching between browser and everything else.

Rishy
I'm Here A Lot

hello

can you tell me which one speicifically on ebay you got and have you had luck with USB to go if so how did you get it. Please let me know.

p72wilson
I've Been Here Awhile

How did you get the proper APN settings? This is the one problem I am having with buying a phone outside of Rogers, I can't get the data to connect.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Here is the Proper LTE APN Settings

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1350400

APN - ltemobile.apn
Proxy - <not set>
Port - <not set>
Username- <Not set>
Passwors - <not set>
Server < not set>
MMSC - http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS - proxy 10.128.1.69
MMS - Port 80
MMS protocol - Wap 2.0
MCC - 302
MNC - 720
Aythentication type - < not set>
APN type - either "*" or "internet + mms" Should work

Ianski
I Plan to Stick Around

Are there rogers settings for when you're not in an LTE area? I have the S2 LTE phone but I managed to mess up the APN settings and cannot connect, even though they look just like what it says in your list.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Nope. The list above is the LTE APN settings I have on my S2 LTE & on my Raider 4G / LTE.

Ianski
I Plan to Stick Around

nevermind - it suddenly started working again. I guess I had to wait just a little bit longer.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
It can take 2-5 minutes or a bit longer once you input the APN into the settings. Sometimes it might even need you to restart the phone in order for the APN to work.

Ianski
I Plan to Stick Around

and moments later, it stopped working again. I don't get it. I'm in downtown Victoria so connecting should not be a problem. I unlocked the phone this morning and that's likely the cause of the problem. 😞

note that although it is an LTE phone, when I got it from Rogers they installed a non-LTE sim card due to not having the correct card available (they provided one later, but I've never installed it because we don't have LTE over here - yet.)

Texts and phone calls work fine, though.

Ianski
I Plan to Stick Around

okay, I think I fixed it. I powered the thing off, swapped out the sim card for my other (Fido) card, powered it back on, made a test phone call. Powered it off, swapped back the Rogers sim card, took out the battery and put it back in, then powered the phone up, turned the data use back on (my Fido plan has no data component) and 4G's working... for the moment. First time I've unlocked a phone, just jittery about it I guess! Thanks for your help MeowMix.

randyp
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in downtown Victoria too and I've been having network connectivity problems all day. Well, since yesterday afternoon actually. Even though it says I've got 4 bars of 4G, I can't get anything. Texts are working but nothing else is connecting. Works fine when I switch to wifi but as soon as I leave the office, it's dead. I've turned network on and off, dropped down to GSM, cycvled the handset... There were brief moments when it looked like it was up, but nothing stable.

Rogers... Can you comment on issues in Victoria? I'm hoping it's a secret LTE installation messing things up. 😛

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm having problems here in Edmonton too. Internets taking forever to load or won't at all.I figure rogers is having network problems right now. When I switch to wifi everythings fine

Ianski
I Plan to Stick Around

My understanding is that the "four bars" applies to the voice network service. The "4G" changes to "G" or even "E", when I'm in areas with poor service (such as the area around Duggan's Lake in Cobble Hill.) But today I've got the 4G, and the little green and orange arrows under it, but am unable to connect to anything. But perhaps it is a network problem and not my phone. I hope so and that they fix it soon.

randyp
I've Been Here Awhile
Ah of course that's what the bars are. Silly me. Yeah, I get the 4G with the green (upload) and orange (download) arrows too when I switch over from wifi but after a minute or so the arrows peter out. I too hope they fix this soon.