cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around
yes it happens when im on the end of the screen just never noticed it with any other phone. i was just wondering if this happens with everyone elses phones too?

Dueyb1970
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Everyone,

Just a bit of a Rogers rant. Like alot of you I reserved my S2 a while ago. I was 511 in line and didn't see much light at the end of the tunnel and when I saw the HTC Raider get released I decided to upgrade to that phone. Tired of waiting. That was back on the 30th of October. Liked the Raider alot(of course anything would be an improvement from my BB 9800) Had the phone for a couple of days and ran into data connections issues(like alot of you) went through the motions of techs, rogers store employees trying to fix the issue and a couple of phones, was waiting for my third phone to come in and decided to back away from the Raider and wait and see after the dust settled. Now I was told because I DOA'd the Raider phone that a simple reversal was not possible and that my "Case" would have to be "escalated" and may take a few days. That was on Nov 4th. So sure enough when I got home from the rogers store and checked my S2 status it went from "in progress" to "shipped" sweet!  So I patiently waited for the email with the tracking info to come. Got  that message on the 7th of Nov. So anxiously tracked package which showed delivery on the 7th at 11:04am. So I drove to the store and they said it wasn't there and that it was probably was at the local distribution centre. So I called the centre and they said it may take up to 72 hours to get to the store which was about 4kms away.(brutal) But more likely it would be there tomorrow. So I waited again and called the next day and they said there shippment was coming after 6:00pm. So I went in around 8:00 and saw all the boxes with phones all over the counter. Talked to guy who dealt with my Raider and asked if my phone was in. He looked at the 2 remaing S2 phones and neither was for me. I said huh? Just so happens the district manager happened to be in the store and the employee I was dealing with went to bat for me and told him what I went through with the Raider and called the other store downtown that I returned my Raider too(second one) And they had an S2 in stock and they were going to send it up to the store I was at and that he would give one of the two reserved phones that were there and replenish later . Success!(not quite). I was not eligeable for an upgrade due to the fact that my Raider return was not completed and that they would "escalate" it and should be done in 24-48 hours.(hopefully) So that was tues the 8th of Nov. Recieved a call on thurs the 10th from the manager of the downtown store where I initiated the reversal that she had a S2 waiting for me and she was the one who had been working on my return. So went down to get my S2 on fri and she said she hadn't gotten approval for the return yet and would call when she did. Super big pain going downtown and was dissappointed yet again. So here we are it is the 16th and still my "case" is pending. Still using my piece of crap BB 9800. Have made numerous calls to Rogers CS and talked to various people and managers and retention and got "escalated" again on the 11th so I guess by the number of escalations that I've gotton that the CEO of Rogers should be handling my return. Was told by one rogers CS that it may take up to 3 weeks for this case to be resolved. I told them that I would have a Bell S2 by then. This has been one big freaking headache and if it weren't for the time left on my contract, I would be gone for sure.

So my question would be to anyone who has walked away from their Raider or has done any type of reversal, have you had this same issue. Any comments would be appreciated!  

marcoco
I Plan to Stick Around

@Dueyb1970

I've been trying to decide between Raider & S2, and today finally deicded on Raider because of the issues people have had with the S2's WIFI which is a deal breaker for me.

You say you've returned 2XRaiders? What problems were you having with your Raider that required you to return 2 of them? All I've been hearing is extremely positive feedback from Raider users. 

Jimmylegs
I Plan to Stick Around

The Raider issue is talked about in the Raider forum but essentially in the early days there was a Network issue that has since been resolved.  Some of us thought it may be a device issue and returned the phone.  My case was escalated I was dealt with very promptly and it was a network issue.  The Raider has been fantastic for me, no issues at all since then.  I too was waiting for a Samsung Galaxy but after reading the issues and using a friends I am very happy I went with the Raider. 

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@shortydm11 wrote:
yes it happens when im on the end of the screen just never noticed it with any other phone. i was just wondering if this happens with everyone elses phones too?

Yup, on mine too...also, the text below icons, kind of fades out towards the end if the text is lnger then a few characters.

Dueyb1970
I Plan to Stick Around

Just the data connection issue from around the beginning of the month. I may go with the raider but I cant upgrade to anything right now because my "case" isn't resolved.

paperfire
I've Been Here Awhile
After having my Raider for a week, I just returned it for the Galaxy S2. So far I am impressed with this phone.. The Raider is thick and clunky, while the Galaxy S2 is much more thin and sleek. Really glad I made this decision.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

How is the phone clunky :/.. also its not that think.. you make it sound like its a heavy **bleep** brick.. funny thing is that even tho it weighs a lot its not heavy. you my friend have never lifted anything heavy before then. When its in ur pocket its not even heavy. With the Raider i get far better signal streinght then i did with my S2 LTE & also it feels better holding it knowing if you drop the Raider it will not break or crack. ( i did my own tests when i bought 2 Raiders & dropped 1 from the second floor bulding my buddy lives at.) With the S2 LTE because its so thin you can not feel like it will not break because its so thin. The Raider by far has the best looks on the phone. The Back of the S2 LTE is plain meanwhile the one on the Raider has a better look.  Also like i said i made the best decision to give my S2 LTE back and im using the Raider. Best decision i made.

paperfire
I've Been Here Awhile
Remember that phone preference is subjective. I found the Raider clunky but I can perfectly understand if someone else prefers it to an S2. Different phones are made for different people and if you if think the Raider is better, I'm not going to criticize you. It's what you prefer and I respect that.

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

Battery life is insane...

-charged to 100% 12 AM

-turned off every apps, wifi and GPS before going to bed.

-7:30am battery was still 100%, i realized something was wrong (usually its at 85%-90%) but didn’t bother restarting because it kills good amount of juice.

-watched video for 20 min (not streamed video)

-listened to mp3 for 20min

-made 5 min phone call on 4g network

-sent and received around 50 txt msgs.

-9:30am battery was still 100%, but this time i wanted to know actual number, i restarted the phone and it says 30%

wow

kid_icarus
I Plan to Stick Around

@meowmix

based on preferences i unfortunately can't agree with you.

i know how much you love the raider, but seeing as i also had a raider i think it's very suffice to say that it's heavier/thicker than the S2.

that's a fact.

i did not have the $$ to buy 2 of them to test how rugged it was... but because the raider is that much heavier... it slowly slipped out of my pant pocket while i was driving on one of the first few days i had it.

it eventually slipped out far enuogh that it flew out of my pocket and onto the pavement as i got out of the car.

a HUGE dent went into the frame.

suffice to say. i liked the raider's looks, but i knew that with a case... even a 1mm thin case it would push this phone beyond what i wanted in terms of size of a phone.

clunky NO.

but i can ssee where ppl come from if they say it's clunky.

i've got ham hands... and the raider was very very hard to keep a firm grip on due to it's beveled backing

in terms of form factor i really don't think you can keep arguing with everyone here when they complain that the raider was too big for their liking.

sure it's a beautiful looking phone. but size wise based on facts and physical dimensions... it is bigger/heavier.

end of story.

i still prefer the htc's screen resolution.

lol

but i'm sticking with the galaxy s2 at this point.

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around

as for everyone's battery issues i have had two smartphones prior to this...one was the htc dream and the second was sony xperia x10. so far the sgs2 which ive had for over a week has better battery life then those two. any smartphone will have to be charged at least once a day so no matter what you get you will still be charging your phone once a day. im an extremely heavy user of my smartphone. im constantly on it surfing the web texting, watching videos, playing games, downloading apps etc. i even have a live wallpaper going and im impressed. i have no extra apps to save battery on this phone. i enabled the power save mode to kick in at 30% i believe. i have the screen set to auto brightness. i dont have wifi or gps enabled unless i need it and i have my calenders and gtasks, facebook etc, all that kind of stuff synching. i also have 9 widgets running. when i first got the device i completely killed and charged the battery full 3 times which may have something to do with it. my last phones i never did that. im going to try not to charge this one half way  like i did the other. i will keep letting it die completely then charge.

shaggyskunk
Well, So far I am not loving the signal strength at al!! I have resolved my LTE issue....I thought that the guy at the store, updated or whatever rogers, when I picked up my phone and they activated my new sim card to include LTE...MAYBE my bad?
In any event, the reception in Ottawa wth LTE...stinks! I don't know the ins & outs of LTE vs HSPA+ But, when I see 4-5 bars @ 4G....& it switches to LTE...All of a sudden it drops to 1 bar. I am really pretty sure, that rogers pushed too hard to get the plan available, without making sure that it would run properly in gee, Ottawa for example...

ToddJD
I've Been Here Awhile

My battery was lasting 6 to 7 hours with light usage. I did a factory reset and now it lasts all day with heavy/moderate usage.

splashdown
I Plan to Stick Around

Same experience in the Toronto LTE Area. I have dropped several calls from my 1-Bar LTE and find that I have to switch off of the network to return these dropped calls.

Once again it costs to be the guinea pig!

shaggyskunk

shaggyskunk
Once again this morning.......1 bar on LTE....& CAN'T open site! Had to turn the phone off/on to get to 1LTE bar again...this time it "found" 4G. Tried to do this by going to Networks..& switching it myself...but it just displayed a nice little circle as it seemed to aimlessly search on it's own. Wonder if Mobilesyrup will do a survey on just how well Canada's 1st LTE provider is measuring up?
Even as i was typing this...the phone tried to switch to the "Mythicle" LTE, & the keyboard froze...until 4-5 bars of 4G returned...Maybe rogers is just not ready for LTE just now???

shaggyskunk
So..according to Mobilesyrup...as of yesterday..rogers is offering $30.00 6Gig plan to LTE customers as well. Called rogers & they said that there is no such plan?

bluecoupe
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk wrote:
So..according to Mobilesyrup...as of yesterday..rogers is offering $30.00 6Gig plan to LTE customers as well. Called rogers & they said that there is no such plan?

Yah I read that last night too.  So I went and turned on LTE on my phone did a speed test and was getting 8mb download vs 1.5mb that I usually get... I'll probably drop by a Rogers store during lunch to see if they have anymore info... but judging from others experiences with store reps don't hold your breath lol

daniiiel
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk wrote:

I just called Rogers and the customer service representative had no idea what I was talking about and told me there was no such offer. I asked to be transferred to retentions and right away he told me there was no such thing until I told him about the forums. He checked and told me I was correct.

However, I couldn't change my current $35 for 2gb plan because he said it was already "attached or bundled" with my voice plan but instead I could only add another $10 for 6gb. It doesn't make sense because I know there are no voice + lte data plans right now and when I renewed my plan, they came separately. I'm not sure what to do...

But for those who are calling in and being told "the plan doesn't exist", ask to be forwarded to relations.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Got confirmation from Ian @ Mobilesyrup

shaggyskunk

This is the confirmaition from Ian @Mobilesyrup.

"Thanks for the email.
I've seen the Rogers doc on this, it's there and went live late yesterday.

Best
Ian"

As you might conclude, I sent an email to Ian at mobilesyrup.  

I guess that we will have to give rogers some time to inform the "other hand" at rogers, what the 1st hand is doing...

I also wonder if this post will be removed?  I was not too surprised to see that somehow, I have managed to rub the moderators the wrong way...all that without the use of nasty languange or anything...oh well. c'est la vie.