cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

2,126 REPLIES 2,126

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

If anyone is interested, here is a cut & pates of some speed tests I did last night....not anywhere near as fast as I would have thought.

Also Saturday night, trying to connect to rogers.com was taking a looong time and even timed out a few times..."teething pains"?

Ookla operates Speedtest.net using a massive global infrastructure to minimize the impact of Internet congestion and latency. With millions of tests performed every day across hundreds of servers, Speedtest.net is the ultimate resource for bandwidth testing and related information. Visit it on your computer today to find out why.

Date,ConnType,Lat,Lon,Download,Upload,Latency,ServerName,InternalIp,ExternalIp
"2011-11-07 01:11","Umts","43.66670","-79.41670",4876,1085,99,"Toronto, ON","25.24.0.21","74.198.9.21"
"2011-11-07 00:51","Umts","43.66670","-79.41670",50,132,106,"Toronto, ON","25.24.0.21","74.198.9.21"
"2011-11-06 08:16","Umts","45.44913","-75.75346",2913,629,99,"Toronto, ON","25.24.0.218","74.198.9.90"
"2011-11-05 20:39","Umts","45.44917","-75.75360",4443,763,89,"Toronto, ON","25.24.0.248","74.198.9.120"
"2011-11-05 20:37","Umts","45.44878","-75.75353",2584,875,124,"Vernon Hills, IL","25.24.0.248","74.198.9.120"

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Its fall right now and i have not heard of visa saying they will launch it anytime.. you see where it says " expects" that means they might or might not launch it at fall.

Honestly tho i rather use cash & my visa card.

lillady
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey soondai14:

Hardware upgrades are on a different countdown than plans are and are not affected by your plan renewal.   For example, I was on month to month service for quite a while.  I have decided that the S2LTE is the new phone for me, so I took advantage of the 6gb data deal they had offered until September 30.  The contract for my plan is now set to Sept 2014 but I am still eligible for a hardware upgrade without paying early upgrade fees because it has been more than 30 months since my last subsidized phone .  This was explained to me by the retentions department, and I have verified at least twice since I agreed to my new contract that I qualify for a hardware upgrade without any fees.  Hopefully this helps.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
That is is your case. Most of us need to wait.. You got a deal from the Retentions in order to do that...

You plan renews with your 3year term. Within that 3 year term you need to wait for the 30 months in order to get a phone without paying a fee. Retentions make deals with you like yours lillady.

y2whisper
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for that tidbit pierce.

side note place in mississauga has the note there for $799

still too much for me but others may want. 

Hoping to get an MHL adapter for this soon (also hoping it will work on both devices for testing.)

Anyone have any local sources for this?

lillady
I Plan to Stick Around

No, Meowmix.... this is not a retentions deal, just explained through retentions in a way that is easy for everyone to understand.  My current 3 year plan is a regular market plan available, not a special retentions deal (MY10 with 6gb + $12 VP). 

Plans can be changed without affecting your hardware upgrade.  I have been off contract and working on a new plan with a wicked phone for over a year now, and have only talked to retentions twice but have talked to customer service numerous times over.  Regular reps will tell you the same thing - call customer service and ask. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Weird i just called and talked to costumer service and retentions and they both told me what i know.. hmm

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
That is is your case. Most of us need to wait.. You got a deal from the Retentions in order to do that...

You plan renews with your 3year term. Within that 3 year term you need to wait for the 30 months in order to get a phone without paying a fee. Retentions make deals with you like yours lillady.

lets say you got a free phone with 3 year contract in 2001. and you kept going month to month until you change your plan in 2011 aug without getting any phone from rogers and this renewed contract to 3 year. but in nov 2011, you want to upgrade your phone to gs2 lte. you have around 32 months til your contract ends.

you are saying if you want to buy the phone you will either have to

A. pay the full retail price

B. pay early upgrade fee (around 32 months $20 per month for premium devices (I.e  iPhone 4 and BlackBerry Torch))

lillady
I Plan to Stick Around

Soondai - I am in a similar situation:

My last contract expired in March, 2010.  I have been month to month since then.  Just started a new contract without hardware upgrade in September 2011. 

My last phone was bought outright in December 2008, but my last hardware upgrade was March 2006.  Therefore, it has been 67 months since I last hardware upgraded, which is quite obviously over and above the 30 months required to be eligible without paying the early fee.  Which is why I am still qualify for a hardware upgrade.

Call customer service, I am sure they will help you out! 

jackferret
I Plan to Stick Around

Picked up my S2 on Saturday evening in Ottawa. They have them in store now for all of us without reservations.  The phone is a BEAST!

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Montreal

Just called Rogers and they have no GS2 phones available in Montreal.  She has no idea when they will available.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Montreal

Ryan_U
I'm Here A Lot

Ok, called a  round and found a store that has them.  I called back Rogers to see what plans they can offer me and the rep said that I had to take the 50$/month 10 gig LTE plan if I wanted the GS2 LTE.  I told him that I had heard that I could take any data plan and he said "NO".  There was only one plan available and that is the 50$/10gig.  Any of you online reps want to help me out here?

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around
Wow, that's BS. I don't think you should be forced to take that plan, Meowmix should chime into here, but I would call rogers and speak with RETENTIONS to see if you can get it straightened out. I Got my HTC Raider on the 6gb $30 plan.

amit916
I Plan to Stick Around

I am monster-ously confused about this Hardware Upgrade elegibility...

I bought a 3GS in August 2 years ago (or 27months ago). But 2 months ago, I changed my plan to a BB plan because my phone died and I had an old BB around. 

Do I have to wait 28 months for my upgrade now without paying premium fees or would I just pay fees for the 3 months from my last hardware upgrade? If they expect me to pay full price, I'm buying out of my contract right that second and going to Telus/Bell. 

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

yea sometimes if you go to 10 different rogers stores, you can get 10 different solution to your concern.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
You dont need a LTE plan. They are ONLY doing that to force you to use LTE networks. I got my HTC Raider and my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE without needing a LTE data plan. That is why the phone has a setting to take off LTE and use HSPA (3G / 4G). Talk to retentions and if they say anything tell them to read the forums. A lot of people bought the HTC Raider and the S2 LTE without needing a LTE Plan.

y2whisper
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah since the store i was at was closing, they didn't have time to look up the rates for LTE and just said call customer service. otherwise you won't get the LTE speeds until you get the plan.

lillady
I Plan to Stick Around

Check out this:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/iphone4s?cm_sp=cm_sp=Consumer-_-Wireless_iphone4s_1011_Eng-_-Famil...

Go to GET STARTED, fill in the form and they will email you.  If you have to pay any early upgrade fees it will tell you.

YES I realize this was added as a way to find out what pricing you will get for the iphone, but it is also an easy way to check and see if you are able to get any upgrade without paying the early upgrade fees 🙂

amit916
I Plan to Stick Around

So I call the Rogers store again and they said it's been here since Saturday (funny because I called on Saturday AND Sunday). There's a flaw in that system... both times I asked "do you have the Galaxy S2". But this time I started with, "I reserved a S2 at this location, and I got an email saying you recieved it..."

So can I chalk that up to being lazy? Or were they supposed to hold it til Monday? 

Pierced
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:

Its fall right now and i have not heard of visa saying they will launch it anytime.. you see where it says " expects" that means they might or might not launch it at fall.

Honestly tho i rather use cash & my visa card.

Oh I'm sure it'll be as quick to launch as Rogers was in releasing this phone.Robot surprised

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

So anyone on the Ottawa, or other regions having spped issues?  For about the last hour the SG has been switching from Edge to 4G while my Rocket stick is steady at HSPA+?